Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > International > 2011 - 2015 International
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-24-2021, 07:48 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Water on the floor from a closed faucet?

2013 International Signature 27FB

I just returned from a boondocking trip. When I left home, I filled the fresh tank to full. Accidentally left pump on. When I arrived at the campsite, the floor was wet and the pillows that fell on the floor were soaked. Fresh water indicated 1/2 a tank gone and water even made it into the front storage from under the bed.

Has anyone had this happen? Did the kitchen faucet bump open then closed?
iamozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 08:21 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
2020 25' International
minneapolis , Minnesota
It’s possible. I would turn the pump back on, it will run briefly to pressurize the lines. If it stops within a second or two and remains off, you probably don’t have any leaks and your fine. If it does continue to run, see if you can quickly track down the leak. You can also turn the pump off and listen for the leak. (Be sure to turn of your HVAC and any other background noise) As you probably know now, don’t tow with your pump running. Create a pack up checklist, turning off the pump should be the last step before entering the tow vehicle.
I was in the habit of turning on the power and running the exhaust fans on my Chaparral boat to exhaust the engine compartment while towing to the lake 2 miles away. There was one time the captains chair loosened, then rotated and wedged into the drive trim down button on the throttle. Roughly 50 feet from the launch, my skeg was scraping a trench into the asphalt. You can’t make this stuff up. If it can happen...it will probably happen.
Old 05-24-2021, 09:12 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Check the cnnections to all faucets

My kitchen sink faucet works loose from vibration and I have to check it periodically. A previous owner changed the faucet to one with built-in lines and left the old lines hanging from the new faucet lines. The excess line rattles around and loosens the nuts. One of these days I'm gonna re-terminate the PEX.
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 05:24 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Yup. We always turn off the pump and relieve the pressure before traveling.
Old 05-25-2021, 09:26 AM   #5
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Leave the pump on and one faucet or the other is almost guaranteed to come open. If you are very lucky, it will bump back shut. If not (and the drain plug is in place or the gray water tank is full ....) you may be treated by a stream of water pouring out of the door when you first open it. I have data on this .....

We now check "pump off" a lot of times before we move out.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 09:37 AM   #6
Married with Airstream

2004 25' International CCD
Vancouver Island , British Columbia
You have just experienced the "Swimming Pool" syndrome that is optional in most RVs. On our "tear down check list" we have "TURN THE PUMP OFF" in bold caps. Having the swimming pool once was enough of a lesson :-)
2013 F-150HD FX4 SuperCrew Lariart (MaxTow) "Red Dragon"
drbrick is offline   Reply With Quote