Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-03-2014, 07:17 PM   #121
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherzi View Post
I echo this idea. I always cringe while watching water going into the black tank flush drip directly onto the city connection. Please put the city water connection above the black flush.
On my FC 20 the thing which is much dumber is the fresh water input directly above the electrical input. If you have any water leakage from your hose, it drips directly down on the electrical plug/cord input.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 07:30 PM   #122
Rivet Master

2007 25' International CCD FB
Northridge , California
This is so minor but I really like the key holders that they put in the Eddie Bauer next to the door this should be on all models. I think its only in the Eddie Bauer and the Sport. I put up some command hooks but regular installed hooks would be greatly appreciated. Ooh and the aluminum rivited trip on the edging around the table etc looks nice. This is on the rentals at Airstreams2go.com
Thanks
LilNomad
LiLNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 07:31 PM   #123
Rivet Master

2007 25' International CCD FB
Northridge , California
And really why is the fresh water knob plastic???? Geez! Feels like its gonna snap off everytime I drain the fresh water tank
LilNomad.
(sorry I think in spurts)
LiLNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 07:33 PM   #124
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Calgary , Alberta
Things I like to see on New Airstreams

Is that something that could have just changed or a layout difference? On my '15 28 the black tank flush is 6-8ft away from my city water hookup or fresh water fill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherzi View Post
I echo this idea. I always cringe while watching water going into the black tank flush drip directly onto the city connection. Please put the city water connection above the black flush.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiLNomad View Post
This is so minor but I really like the key holders that they put in the Eddie Bauer next to the door this should be on all models. I think its only in the Eddie Bauer and the Sport. I put up some command hooks but regular installed hooks would be greatly appreciated. Ooh and the aluminum rivited trip on the edging around the table etc looks nice. This is on the rentals at Airstreams2go.com

Thanks

LilNomad

I believe the hooks are on many models...my 28' has them as well.
cory_can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 08:19 PM   #125
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
The Beautiful Mountains Of Southwest , Virginia
I would like to see aluminum frame, composite flooring, disc brakes, stronger grade of aluminum, radiant foil insulation, thermo pane windows, higher grade of skylights, tinted window in door with shade and mid-ship turn signals on everything above 25 feet and the availability to add these features as options if everyone doesn't want to pay for these as standard eqpt.
Old 11-03-2014, 08:19 PM   #126
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
Hello all:

Greetings all:

I received an email today confirming that this thread has now been distributed internally within the management teams at Airstream. My guess is we now have several people at the nose bleed level of the company reading these comments on a regular basis.

So if you ever felt you owned a product that was made by a company who did not care - that thought would be wrong!

It's now up to us (the users) to ensure that any long-standing problems are articulated in an effective way if we wish to see positive change down the road. Or a given improvement or group of improvements are articulated sufficiently to see them embraced and incorporated into products moving forward.

As I stated earlier, I come from the manufacturing sector and can tell you that the actual cost of a component is not the only factor that has to be evaluated when considering changes to a product like an Airstream. So don’t think for a second that a plastic wire conduit should be a no-brainer because it costs pennies… The interconnected nature of the manufacturing process dictates that the net cost of a component is a very small part of the puzzle when considering changes. So lets use this opportunity try our effect change and improve our products…

Cheers
Doug
Old 11-03-2014, 08:38 PM   #127
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
The reading lights in my 2014 bunk are these swivel and point jobs - do not put that style of light in the bed area where my 3 year old puddles around - 3 year olds break this type very easily so it seems

As I understand - the bunkhouse models of late did the macerater toilet because of wanting a different location of the tank and plumbing ...I am not familiar with these issue but if there is an engineering fix that let's us get a standard non electric toilet I would like to see that option if possible on any and all models -

The macerater toilet by dometic seems to be rather weak at getting the job done as well when going number 2 - manual says hold down flush for 5 seconds - try more like 8-10 and sometimes a bit of stuff comes back and requires re-flush - perhaps do some....uh ....testing of that yourself and see what you think - I confirmed this with another 2014 bunkhouse owner - it's been otherwise reliable so far

As it goes for toilets - I'm rather fascinated by compost toilets - could be a simple option to add and allow either a larger grey tank or a second grey tank or whatever I'm not sure - Something to keep in mind - I'm not sure where I stand on it but it's intriguing to me (just a passing thought at this point for me)

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 09:42 PM   #128
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Calgary , Alberta

Some stiffer/higher quality foam used on lounges/dinette seating.....currently it's incredibly low quality and practically flat after sitting on it after a few minutes.

The impracticality of the exterior curb side"scare light" has already been mentioned but most RVs these days have integrated LED awning lights so I was quite surprised when the AS didn't have them. Also, adding an additional street side light for viewing the utilities would be nice.

All RV's have exterior speakers, please get with the times.....it's honesty embarrassing not to have the option to output internal music to the camp site...at any level.

The one button interface on the '15 Clarion audio head unit is horrible and I'm very technical. I would be shocked if your average customer just completely avoids using it due to frustration.

Move the LP quick disconnect port to the camp side...where it would be used.

Make the window closest to the door on the 28 fixed ...it doesn't need to open and it's just asking to be broken.

IR repeaters (or RF conversion) so you don't have to keep your front storage door open to control the Media player.

That's a good start for now
Old 11-03-2014, 10:35 PM   #129
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
Hi Cory
I'm with you on the following:

- the foam used in the cushions is actually embarrassing and needs to be changed ASAP. After spending a premium dollar on what is considered a premium product, it a shame that I now have to rip all the seat cushions out of my trailer to have proper foam Installed. Without doing this the seats are just not usable. As an option to this it would be good to offer existing owners the ability to purchase replacement cushions direct from the factory as they can make them a lot more cost effectively than I can get a custom shop to do it.
McKay if you read this please let me know if purchasing higher grade seat cushions would possible from your upholstery shop. Next do us all a favour and take your engineers into a trailer and have them sit on an ultra leather L-shaped sofa for about 30 minutes. They will determine 2 things - first they will slide off because the ultra leather is so slippery. Next they will figure out that sliding off on the floor is actually an improvement over sitting on the terrible quality foam. Terrible to think I watch movies in my 28' by sitting on the floor - seems to be something wrong with this picture!

- I'm with you on the LED lights in the awning or at least a switched power supply they would allow us to add lights after delivery

- the movement of the LP gas connection is a no brainer. Why anyone would think it made sense to have it on the backside of the trailer is beyond me.

- Sorry it took me a minute to figure out what you were talking about when you talked about the window door and I'm still not sure I have it right.... Are you talking about the window that opens right next to the entrance door? As this combination is nothing more than a mishap waiting to happen. The window is open and Someone uses the door - boom the two crash into each other the the window looses. Good for the company as they get to sell everyone a new window. But boy is that ever poor engineering! Just make the window non operational and everyone saves!

Anyway I hope I have this right and my typing is not to bad as I'm doing this late at night on an iPad keyboard

Cheers
Doug
Old 11-04-2014, 05:46 AM   #130
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
I have not yet and will not open that window

Old 11-04-2014, 06:29 AM   #131
4 Rivet Member

2012 30' Classic
Wildwood , Missouri
Instead of the dinette configuration, I wish there was an option for a long counter with bar stool seating underneath for more work space.
kswelsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 07:17 AM   #132
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Calgary , Alberta

Yes Doug, that's exactly the window I'm talking about, a window that I just won't use....ever.

Also, because it bears repeating ...the foam quality borders on a warranty item. I'm planning on bringing this up with my dealer and if I don't get traction there, the factory. As you said, why I spend huge money on a trailer and then have to turn around and arrange to spend more money to replace all the cushion material is CRAZY! Hopefully a stiffer cushion material stops me from sliding to the ground.

The idea of having an AS executive spend 30min sitting in an Ultra leather seat is a good one....good luck not getting the rear of your suit dirty as you slide on the floor every 2 min.
Old 11-04-2014, 08:15 AM   #133
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
A Wally Byam signature model.

No changes, only improvements with all the comforts of home. A basic, no gadget, lightweight Airstream sized and tough enough to travel to the far ends of the earth AND back.

A real Airstream that sets itself apart from the designer and gizmo-driven junk everybody else is building.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 09:05 AM   #134
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
Interesting Concept!
A unit designed from the ground up to actually travel. Not just go to your local campground on weekends and take most of your house with you. But to actually travel from the Arctic Ocean to the southern panhandle's of Costa Rica. From the shores of PEI to the bustle of southern California and yes we can through Florida if we have tooooo....lol....

Nice idea Doug - That's why we pay you the big $$.

I'm sure they would sell lot's of them as there is a large community who are not interested in towing a house behind them. They want something that tows really well with a 1/2 ton and still gives them enough room to have a few comforts that one could live in it for months at a time.

Here is my short list:
* 23 - 26' long
* Actual camping ready weight of 4500 - 6,000 lbs
* REAL tongue weight of less than 600 lbs (including a proper hitch)
* Full alum superstructure and frame
* Designed for 2-people things like fold down sofa's not required
* Available in both a twin and queen bed version. Queen bed MUST be walk around like 28'
* Electronics kept to a min. 1-TV, 1 radio, internal WIFI with booster. No other crap required. Most people access everything off the net these days so having things like BlueRay players are just not needed.

The MOST important part is to design it from the GROUND UP with the best components possible and design it to TRAVEL!

In closing the Name "Wally Byam Signature Model" Is more than fitting!

Cheers
Doug

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post

No changes, only improvements with all the comforts of home. A basic, no gadget, lightweight Airstream sized and tough enough to travel to the far ends of the earth AND back.

A real Airstream that sets itself apart from the designer and gizmo-driven junk everybody else is building.
Old 11-04-2014, 09:10 AM   #135
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
- I don't think I would want an aluminum frame because it is not as strong as steel and not as readily repairable in the future. However I would at least want the option to upgrade to a galvanized frame as is already done on the overseas trailers.

- Also it would be nice have the designers actually go and perform the typical maintenance items (such as accessing the water pump and filter for winterizing) or build easier access to areas such as the base of the shower pan. I had to replace the drain on the shower pan one time and it was probably one toughest jobs performed.

- An access panel on the bottom of the gray/black tank area to access valves and tank sensors would also be nice.

- Covering the water pipes with insulation or having them securely fastened down would make the plumbing system much quieter.

- more real wood (like my 1994 classic)

- clear door window with shade so I can see who's knocking on my door

- 12v switches on propane/carbon monoxide detectors that can shut off while in storage to cut down on parasitic battery drain (my sisters 2008 25' safari has this issue)

- up to date revisions to the owners manual

- have the factory treat edges of the cut aluminum to delay filiform corrosion
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 09:11 AM   #136
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
I really like that idea ^^^

I suspect we will use out bunkhouse with our kids for a long time to come but depending on how things go down the road - including grand kids - we would seek 23-26 footer for just the wife and I to use very often if not close to or full time - this model if I were to buy it would hopefully be such a model as described!

Old 11-04-2014, 09:36 AM   #137
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post

I would buy this.

I am all for aluminum frame if done properly it can be just as strong as steel.

I'd also like to see the wood flooring replaced with composites. Look, Airstream's claim to fame of being lightweight isn't really so much true these days. They need to come up with truly innovative weights to loose some weight.

Aluminum propane tanks, disc brakes, aluminum wheels, composite flooring, etc.

Better thermal insulation.

We have a signature, and while I love it, looking at the 2015's it's as if they hired a designer once and they've just been doing motifs off the same design every year. I mean seriously, the signature's options are red, brown and white. Wow, really trying there Airstream design team.

How about some better choices. I feel the interior styling is what sets Airstream apart. More choices please.

I don't need gizmo's. I don't know what gizmo's everyone is talking about in the new ones, but "KISS" keep it simple stupid seems like a great design philosophy. It worked for Dieter Rams
Old 11-04-2014, 10:09 AM   #138
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Seattle , Washington
As a prospective buyer here are my thoughts:

- Offer the Eddie Bauer hatch on other front bedroom decors. My wife wants the hatch, but I want the International Signature interior.

- Offer a competitive solar and inverter system. This must include an inverter with assist. No double outlets. An inverter with assist means I can get away with one Honda 2000 watt generator and still be able to start the AC. I would never purchase the solar package from AS, so you're losing money there. Needs much more wattage.

- Batteries from the 21st century. Lithium can pack a lot more amp hours from the same amount of weight.

Look at technomadia.com for some ideas on battery systems, inverters, and solar.

More options. You have a very varied market, and one age group has different needs from other age groups. My wife and want to full-time while working from the road. That means two laptops running at least eight hours a day. If we were older and retired, we might find your existing solar sufficient.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." – Mark Twain​
Tomy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 08:44 PM   #139
4 Rivet Member

2013 28' International
Bozeman , Montana
Actually, ours was some type of cap or cover that was on the furnace for shipment from the manufacturer. When Airstream installed the furnace this part is to be discarded but instead they left it kicking around in the furnace compartment. This is what was told to me by the dealer that did the repair.

A little training and a little more care keeping things tidy would sure make the owner experience a whole lot better and lessen warranty costs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAB View Post
So, THREE of us on here had the rivet tail in the furnace issue. (PharmGeek and I have already had some PM's on this when he had the same issue). My 28' 2012 Intl CCD did this trick right after I was out of warranty. Completely and totally avoidable, just cleaning out the trash would have kept all three of us out of this same issue. So, if 3 of us on AirForum had the issue, makes you wonder how many others who aren't on here had the same issue. Oh, and the "shower door that hangs from a single screw" -- which breaks and the door drops and you can't open the door -- and the plastic sweep that tears is another example of common problems that don't seem to get attention. Cost to fix these problems? Rivet in the furnace fun = zero. Redesign of shower door = better specs to the supplier would probably cost nothing.
HeadWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 08:52 PM   #140
4 Rivet Member

2013 28' International
Bozeman , Montana
One other thing that would be nice is some consistency with allowing changes on special orders. When I ordered our 28 International Signature I wanted to have the flooring to be the same as in the Serenity models. At first I was told by Airstream they would allow it and charge me the difference plus the $500 change fee. Once I ordered the trailer they said they would not allow the change (I spoke directly with the regional rep to confirm). Since then I'm aware of others that have changed the flooring on special orders with no problem.

Do certain dealers get favors on doing these types of changes??? Very frustrating from a customer perspective.
HeadWest is offline   Reply With Quote