Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-26-2013, 10:17 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
New Dealer in Mesa AZ

I winter in the Phoenix area. The Airstream dealer here has been Dillon's RV in Mesa, but they are no longer in the Airstream business. However a new dealer, Desert Autoplex at 3335 E. Main St. Mesa has recently opened. I visited them today to see what they had in stock and to generally look around.

They had a very good selection of 2013 Airstreams in stock. I didn't count them, but about 12 to 15 I think. The sales people were low key, and I told them I have had Airstreams for years, and wanted to just look at the new ones, they said "help yourself, if they are open, they are unsold". Then they left me alone. No one followed me around, or tried to sell. I liked that very much, but I know that they would have stayed with me if I had wanted or needed their help. So, I started out with a good impression.

I enjoyed looking at what they had in stock and the interiors, finishes, and plans. I am not really sure I care for the shiny metal interiors in all of them that they had, and some of the very blond cabinet work looked bland. But then there were some nice contrasting color schemes which I found interesting.

I like small units, under 22' or so, but mostly Airstream has gone to fully made up beds now, and they take so much usable space that there is noting left for "living" on a rainy or buggy day. Most of the 16 and 19' Bambi's have no counter space at all for food prep. I want a real oven too. So, I was ready to say "oh well, nice but I don't need one with the limitations they have now".

Then I went into a 20' Flying Cloud. Oh, oh, oh. Rear kitchen, lots of counter space, lots of cupboard space, range with a real oven, great size bathroom with separate shower, dinette which works, and a front double bed. Now, still some things I would love different for my personal use, but the best floor plan I have seen (for me) in any Airstream made in the last 10 years.

The FC have all the goodies like power jacks and Zip Dee awnings, rock guards and segment protectors, AL wheels etc. The frame on the 20' is also 5" deep! Yea. (the 19' has a 4" frame).

The only major disappointment is that it only has a 23 gal fresh water capacity, which is pretty small for the type of boondocking travel I like to do. The 23' model has a 39 gal tank.

How I wish AS would do some factory custom work. With a few changes this would be my immediate choice and I think an order would be placed. There may be an order placed anyway.... I was smitten. Of course the price is not cheap.

Anyway, it was a good opportunity to see what AS is offering. When I left, the sales person came out and greeted me again, we chatted some, he gave me a literature sheet on the FC series and I left, dreaming. It was a very pleasant experience at this new dealer. I like no pressure, just answer questions as asked.

Dreaming....
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote