Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-19-2019, 08:07 AM   #21
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
In NYS...

Yes...I called EZPass after our first trip towing because I noticed on my statement I was charged for three axles.
Turned out I was not overcharged...EZPass considers all passenger TV's as 'single' axle.🤔
Government thinking at work here. 😂

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 04-19-2019, 08:47 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
Ocean Pines , Maryland
Does Florida only accept SunPass or does EasyPass work too?
Docbutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 09:09 AM   #23
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
New Yorkers are not allowed in Fla.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 04-19-2019, 09:38 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
Florida only accepts the Sunpass. You can buy one at the rest stop when you first enter the state or at a CVS or even a large food store. They have two versions. One is a permanent one that goes on your windshield and the other one is one that you can move from vehicle to vehicle. The one that permanently sticks to your windshield is cheaper. That is the one I bought in February as I needed it to cross a bridge a number of times. It also takes about 24 hours to activate and longer if you do it on a weekend
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 09:50 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by urnmor View Post
I have towed in NY but never knew I needed a second EZ pass when towing the AS. Is there a reason for that or does it apply only to NY residents
Did you see the NYS PDF application in Post #8? Seems reasonable to assume that these classes apply to all vehicles using the toll location IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Here is the NYS EZPass application -- we are in Class 076 with our single-axle FC20:

http://www.thruway.ny.gov/ezpass/ta-w68176.pdf
. . .
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 10:02 AM   #26
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
As an Arizona resident, I am amazed when I travel to some of the highest taxed states in the country and then have to pay extra to ride on the roads. Hopefully, Arizona will remain toll less.

Last year we used SunPass on a trip to Florida and spent around $75 on tolls and only had one problem. They billed me separately for my trailer at a toll bridge because they claimed the RV was not attached to the truck that they charged with SunPass. It took several phone calls to convince someone that travel trailers are attached to trucks.

This coming year we will be traveling most of the Northeast and then again Florida and was looking for a single provider to handle all of the various tolls along the way. We are going to try E-Pass Extra which claims to work with EZ Pass and Sun Pass and also has no monthly fee and no fee for emailing a monthly statement. We will see how that works.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 10:12 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2018 28' International
Fayetteville , Georgia
Florida accepts Georgia Peachpass on all toll roads.
brick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 05:39 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

2009 34' Classic
Lake Worth Beach , Florida
My understanding is that Georgia and North Carolina have electronic tolling systems that are compatible with both EZ Pass and SunPass. Get a PeachPass or Quick Pass and use it just about anywhere east of the Mississippi.

There’s no excuse for the SunPass incompatibility issue. Not only is it technically feasible, Federal law required all electronic tolling systems nationwide to be compatible by the end of 2015.

So much for abiding by the law....

Jim
2016 RAM 2500 Laramie Crew Cab 4x4, Cummins TurboDiesel
AirstreamJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 06:07 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
I posted earlier based upon my recent experience in Florida, however after doing some research on the web I now found out you can use expats on the CFT and supposedly they are now looking to expand expats else where in the state. They also have the license thing where they take a picture of your plate then bill you later but they charge a service charge.
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 09:47 AM   #30
Retired Navy Veteran

1964 26' Overlander
Warner Robins , Georgia
Reminder

Once we purchased the SunPass/PeachPass we forgot to add our AS license #. A fine was added by FLorida. I called to determine why we were fined, claimed first usage. Nice response. They removed the fine and we added Gracie’s license #. Now someone needs to remind me to add our second trailer’s license # when road ready and when we have the license! Turns out Georgia does not authorize specialty plates for trailers. However, two years ago, some wonderful DMV employee authorized a specialty plate for Gracie!😏
superChop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 10:51 AM   #31
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Standish , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaLevel View Post
You can. I prefer staying off toll roads when pulling the trailer, preferring to travel on smaller highways, but sometimes a toll road is the only (or best) way to go. It's called sunpass here in FL. Just slow down like you're supposed to if going through a toll gate.
Do NOT slow down in the Sun Pass lane! Traffic is traveling at the stated highway speed, the scanners can read your pass, even if you're going 80 mph (but don't do that, either).
StephiesNana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 11:56 AM   #32
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
A little research on the Internet can answer yourquestions about which states and which turnpikes accept which electronic system. Some States like TX and FL seem to wan to make things difficult. Others like the 15 in NE work with a single device.
Shop around some states charge an annual fee others only require a "deposit" which is just an advance on tolls thayyou will need to pay.

Google is your friend.

Nice MAP Here.
Old 04-24-2019, 01:02 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
. . .
Nice MAP Here.
Thanks for that link . . . a better map than I have seen before.

In case folks can't click on your hot link:

https://www.ezpassde.com/pages/where_use_ezpass.shtml

Peter
Old 04-24-2019, 02:29 PM   #34
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Miami , Florida
Tolls on the Way from Florida to Canada and Back

Last summer we took the AS from Miami up to New Brunswick, back to Maine and Vermont, then up again to Montreal, and finally down through Ontario and 1000 Islands, PA, W. Va, TN... back to Miami.
You need BOTH a SunPass and an EZ Pass if you don't want surcharge of toll by plate or stop at toll booths.

From our experience, neither EZ Pass nor SunPass expected a separate transponder for the trailer. We did add the trailer license plate to the "approved" list associated with both passes. Maybe that helped. Didn't hurt. As far as I could tell, they charged us for both axles on the trailer. But I could not swear to that.

If you are not a resident of an EZ Pass state, or even if you are, each state charges a different price for the pass itself. Some charge a monthly fee, some have a minimum. Some give discounts for frequent usage. Gotta do you homework on where to register for EZPass. We bought ours through Maine because the initial fee was modest and there was no expiration date or recurring charge to keep the transponder. For us, infrequent users, Maine was the way to go.

As for Canada, we experienced few tolls, but the national and provincial parks were AMAZING! So much nicer than our woefully underfunded parks.
TurkeyRun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 03:02 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1972 29' Ambassador
Boynton Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaLevel View Post
You can. I prefer staying off toll roads when pulling the trailer, preferring to travel on smaller highways, but sometimes a toll road is the only (or best) way to go. It's called sunpass here in FL. Just slow down like you're supposed to if going through a toll gate.
I kept on getting Notice of Violation emails until I contacted SunPass and added my Airstream to my account. Now it just gets charged exorbitantly automatically, so I guess that I'm happy?
SuzyHomemakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 09:49 PM   #36
DIJ
1 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Nashua , NH
EZ Pass use

I just got a second transponder which covers 4 axles. EZ Pass Massachusetts said that if you only have the one for the TV, you have to drive through a regular lane so they can charge for the trailer. But they can configure an additional transponder for the total number of axles, & then you can go through the EZ Pass Only lanes. You just have to remember to change back to the 2-axle transponder when you aren't towing.

Check on the EZ Pass website for your state to see if their rules are the same. They just added this transponder to my account - no charge - & it came within a week.
DIJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 01:00 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
NY EZPass PDF application for trailer pass is linked in Post #8.
Old 04-25-2019, 04:51 PM   #38
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurkeyRun View Post
Last summer we took the AS from Miami up to New Brunswick, back to Maine and Vermont, then up again to Montreal, and finally down through Ontario and 1000 Islands, PA, W. Va, TN... back to Miami.
You need BOTH a SunPass and an EZ Pass if you don't want surcharge of toll by plate or stop at toll booths.

From our experience, neither EZ Pass nor SunPass expected a separate transponder for the trailer. We did add the trailer license plate to the "approved" list associated with both passes. Maybe that helped. Didn't hurt. As far as I could tell, they charged us for both axles on the trailer. But I could not swear to that.

If you are not a resident of an EZ Pass state, or even if you are, each state charges a different price for the pass itself. Some charge a monthly fee, some have a minimum. Some give discounts for frequent usage. Gotta do you homework on where to register for EZPass. We bought ours through Maine because the initial fee was modest and there was no expiration date or recurring charge to keep the transponder. For us, infrequent users, Maine was the way to go.

As for Canada, we experienced few tolls, but the national and provincial parks were AMAZING! So much nicer than our woefully underfunded parks.

Yes do some research. You can order the EZ pass through the mail so you don't even have to travel to the state to get the transponder. We live in OH and saved some $ as at the tiemOH had a fee. So did NY. Got it from MA and no fee. Just the $20 in my account which would be refunded if we returned the transponder. The $20 covers the first tolls. Auto add $20 by cc to keep a positive balance in the account. EZ gets a discount in most locations.
Old 09-07-2019, 04:10 PM   #39
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daquenzer View Post
Drive through Chicago with the AS. We get charged accordingly. Just charge my credit card on hand. Wouldn't have it any other way. Way cheaper than going through the booths by the way.

Hi so we plan on going through the Chicago area from Ca in about 10 days. There isn’t time to buy the ez pass. So tell do we just drive through toll and they bill you. We plan on being gone 2 months so won’t get our mail until we get home. Can we just pay with a c card at the time??
raidergal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 05:31 PM   #40
4 Rivet Member

2009 34' Classic
Lake Worth Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by raidergal View Post
Hi so we plan on going through the Chicago area from Ca in about 10 days. There isn’t time to buy the ez pass. So tell do we just drive through toll and they bill you. We plan on being gone 2 months so won’t get our mail until we get home. Can we just pay with a c card at the time??
http://www.illinoistollway.com

Should be able to find out anything you need to know at that site, including a phone number to call if the web site doesn’t help. There’s a list of locations where you can buy a transponder in person; if any of them are close to your intended route, it may pay to stop and get a transponder. EZ-Pass/I-Pass tolls in Illinois are half the cash/toll-by-mail toll.

Jim
2016 RAM 2500 Laramie Crew Cab 4x4, Cummins TurboDiesel
AirstreamJim is offline   Reply With Quote