Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-06-2020, 10:43 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Mt. Tremper , New York
16’ to 22’ Sport

We had a 16’ Sport for 4 years and upgraded to a 22’ in ‘18. We loved our time in the 16’ (“Chubster”) but there were some things we didn’t like:

Limited grey and black water capacity.
Tiny bed for 2 people.
The wet bath was a pain for showers.
Very little storage.

We looked at the 19’ but the bed is still tiny - and still not much storage. So we went with the 22’ (“Cloud”) and are loving it. Solved all our dislikes. Still easy to tow. Not much more expensive than the 19’.
HankStarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 11:09 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
Port Coquitlam , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by HankStarr View Post
We had a 16’ Sport for 4 years and upgraded to a 22’ in ‘18. We loved our time in the 16’ (“Chubster”) but there were some things we didn’t like:

Limited grey and black water capacity.
Tiny bed for 2 people.
The wet bath was a pain for showers.
Very little storage.

We looked at the 19’ but the bed is still tiny - and still not much storage. So we went with the 22’ (“Cloud”) and are loving it. Solved all our dislikes. Still easy to tow. Not much more expensive than the 19’.
Out of all the trailers, I think the 2019 and earlier Sport 22'FB is probably one of the easiest trailers to tow. It is narrower so you can see around it in your mirrors and has one of the lightest tongue weights in recent models.

There is a little extra room with the wider bed and if one wanted to go to a queen sized bed, all it would take is a little carpentry work and a wider mattress as the room is there.

"Live Long and Prosper \\//" - Spock
PB_NB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 11:15 AM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2014 19' International
Port Townsend , Washington
We've had a 19' Bambi for six years and love it. For us (2) the main difference was the overall room inside (personally we are not big but still the 16' seemed cramped) and the bath configuration. In retrospect there are aspects of the 20' that I like a bit better: one layout of the 20' has more kitchen counter space, ours is quite limited (even with a great pop-up addition that I installed).
But I would suggest it largely depends on"how you camp" - we primarily use the Bambi for our bedroom and bath. We spend most of our time outside and are usually off on bike rides or hikes during the day. Plus I love camp cooking and we cook and eat outside (all weather permitting and the AS is always a great fallback if it is cold, windy or wet.) We are also usually in state/national/provincial parks so have good access to the restrooms/showers (for me that is...my wife loves the Bambi's "accommodations"). This means we take along a bit more outdoor gear (camp chairs, stove/propane tank, Dutch oven etc) but that is our way of camping.
Many folks talk about "always moving up" in size but we have no interest in towing a larger trailer and while there are certainly trade-offs re single vs double axle we are comfortable and complacent with our 19' (2015 International Bambi).
LBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 07:43 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2017 19' Flying Cloud
Columbia , Missouri
Hi Lbelle,
Would be interested in hearing what your "popup" kitchen solution is? We have a 19' flying cloud & am always trying to improve cooking space. We love our 19', & actually are full timing in it for now, just seeing the country. We double our living space with a coleman instant canopy fully screened when the bugs are calling, or rain, or needed shade. Almost exclusively boondock.
fossil5775 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 11:16 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2018 19' Flying Cloud
Newport , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by fossil5775 View Post
Hi Lbelle,
Would be interested in hearing what your "popup" kitchen solution is? ...........
That makes 2 of is. Pics of your popup kitchen would be awesome.
KelloggKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 11:22 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
The 16 has a better floorpan and the bed and bathroom in the 19 were cramped for us.

You two need to go and test the beds and bathroom for comfort for two of you.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 11:07 AM   #27
3 Rivet Member

2014 19' International
Port Townsend , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by KelloggKid View Post
That makes 2 of is. Pics of your popup kitchen would be awesome.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1177.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	418.2 KB
ID:	375214Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1179.JPG
Views:	42
Size:	400.2 KB
ID:	375215
Finally (able to get my pics here!)
It is a counter extension that pops up to the right of the sink. It is just high enough to allow the “pillow” to fit under it. It is quite sturdy and say to put up/down.
It used marine grade hinges and a solid wood cutting board (all of it from Amazon) and carefully aligned the height of the hinges/top to exactly match the level of the sink/countertop.
LBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 04:35 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

2018 19' Flying Cloud
Newport , Washington
Thank you for posting the picture of your flip up counter. A very nice looking job I might add.

Unfortunately I won't be able to do that with my 19' because AS has changed the design and there is now a small cubby between the sink cabinet and the dinette.

2018 Flying Cloud 19
2003 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab Diesel
KelloggKid is offline   Reply With Quote