Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-26-2017, 07:26 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Single guy with two cats in 2020

Hello Airstreamers!
I'm new to this site but would like to get more feedbacks from all of you. I'm quite determined that I'm going to get a 16 foot Bambi in August 2020 when I turn 55 & retired. This would give me about 3 years plan to get rid of my personal stuff & prepare mentally to live full time on the wheels. I've lot to learn since I'm not a handy person. I plan to get a brand new 2020 or 2021 model and I really like the compact size of Bambi 16 easy to haul with my Honda Ridgeline. Currently I'm in Baltimore and planning to travel to the west coast since I love wine & yoga to visit wineries and yoga retreats. I'm so ready!! My question is how's traveling with 2 cats in 16 Bambi?

PS:. I've 3 cats but the oldest one won't make it to the 2020 since she has a cancer tumor
SHalim88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 08:36 PM   #2
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Anywhere , USA Living.Somewhere.Yonder
Not trying to discourage you, but I've seen some parks that do not allow unattended pets in trailers. Usually areas where it's really hot and they are afraid that the A/C may turn off, leaving an unattended pet at risk.

Probably not a bad policy. And if you are traveling alone that could be a concern even where there is no explicit rule.

Otherwise I say good luck! I'm full-timing and loving every minute.
Old 09-26-2017, 09:04 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2011 19' Flying Cloud
Renton , Washington
I'm pretty sure there are tools that will link to your phone and alert you if trailer temps rise above certain temps. Our cat enjoys camping (1 cat, 50 # dog, and 10# dog with 2 adults in a 19--granted, were not living in it!)
orange kayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 09:48 PM   #4
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Anywhere , USA Living.Somewhere.Yonder
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange kayak View Post
I'm pretty sure there are tools that will link to your phone and alert you if trailer temps rise above certain temps. Our cat enjoys camping (1 cat, 50 # dog, and 10# dog with 2 adults in a 19--granted, were not living in it!)
Perhaps. Seems like that would require an internet connection...
Old 09-27-2017, 02:47 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2006 16' International CCD
Salt Lake City , Utah
Can't speak to full-timing... or cats, but my border collie Ollie and I travel quite well together for up to 3 weeks at a time in our 16 footer. I'm still working so that's about my max time off in one stretch.
Old 09-27-2017, 05:02 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Thank you all!! I have never thought of pet policy in the park. Most likely I won't live in a hot area as I prefer cooler weather in the northwest coastline (Northern CA, OR & WA areas). I wouldn't jeopardize my kitties life, they are my babies!!! I love the 16 foot Bambi floorplan with back & front living space in such a compact space. I wish they make it up to 20 foot, that's the largest I would feel comfortable to tow.
Old 09-27-2017, 09:23 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Your plan is totally doable.
We ran into a lady at Jackson Center with 2 dogs in a 16' Sport.
Seems like the Ridgeline might handle a 19, 22, or maybe even a 23.
Why not get a longer trailer for more storage and walk around room?
Have you visited a dealer and spent time in each model?
Go into each trailer and go through the motions of preparing a meal, eating, taking a bath, watching television, and sleeping. As you visit each trailer, imagine where the litter box, food, and water will go.
This will steer you ion the right direction.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 09:37 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Watertown , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange kayak View Post
Yes, there are such tools. Google "Mobil lock." It comes with it's own cell service and costs $20/month.

We have one for our two dogs that we leave alone in the trailer. Cats don't bark, so leaving them along is even less likely to cause trouble. There are parks that don't want you to leave unattended animals alone, but IMHO that is just stupid. From what I've seen, the pet industry drives the RV industry.

The only concern with cats is that they scratch your upholstery to death. You would probably also need a plan to acclimate them to the trailer. Some animals freak out in new environments.
sallye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 09:43 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Cats have a higher body temperature than we do, so heat doesn't seem to bother them.
The a/c went out in the house and it got to 96 degrees inside.
The cat totally did not mind.
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 09-27-2017, 10:04 AM   #10

Currently Looking...
Escondido , California
Actually, I am planning something similar with my dog in a couple of years (or sooner). This thread has really helped me put things into perspective and alleviated much of my anxiety about traveling solo!
Old 09-27-2017, 10:14 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Bushnell , Florida
We took a 2 month excursion with 3 cats in our 19' Flying Cloud and subsequently our current 25' Flying Cloud. We drove to Colonial from Baton Rouge to trade in the 19'. My biggest concerns with the cats was scratching the upholstery and peeing anywhere else but the litter box. They did neither, but they're around 12 years old. We took a couple of scratching posts that they used while at the house for them to scratch on. A familiar item with familiar smell.

Several times a week we'd leave them in the Airstream with some windows open (if we weren't worried about rain) and the temps never got above the low 80s. We boondocked nearly the entire 2 months. As someone else has alluded to, our cats are accustomed to lying in the Louisiana sun on concrete in the middle of the day, so lying around in a travel trailer in the shade with plenty of water and the temps maybe getting as high as 82 doesn't seem bad at all.

It also depends on where one plans to camp. We were in North Carolina and Kentucky for the August summer so it wasn't nearly as bad as Louisiana.

Bottom line is our cats adjusted to life in the Airstream. Thank goodness! And we adjusted to life in the Airstream with them!
wareaglewalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 11:26 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Thank you to hear all the positive stories about traveling with their pets!! What a relief!!
I haven't visited any airstream dealership yet, because I don't want to end up buying it way too early!! I could be a bit of impulsive buyer LOL..., I know my weakness!!
Probably by mid end of 2019, I will start to visit some RV shows. I have never towed anything in my life, so I'm a bit of nervous to be honest. This morning, I just saw a video of Tommy Bahamas 19 foot, I'm already drooling about the mini bar & wine rack area. I just don't care much about the corner bed setting. For 22 ft, I don't understand why they block the entire back area for a restroom, I heard that the back area has the best view!! 25 ft is way too big for me which has a nice floor plan IMO. I want to have unobstructed front & rear view! So 16 foot is the best option so far unless they will come out with a similar floor plan in 2020.
Old 09-27-2017, 11:55 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
The year I pay off the car and make a trip to Disney's Fort Wilderness Campground...
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 09-27-2017, 11:57 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
SW , Colorado
Don't let people discourage you! Unless someone has traveled with a cat and it didn't work, I do not consider advice from inexperienced naysayers to be very helpful.

Our cats have been full-time Airstreamers for more than a year and before that, traveled with us on months-long trips. We stay mostly in public campgrounds or on public lands and thus have never had an issue with RV park rules. We also do not travel to places where it will get too hot in the trailer. The Airstream stays much cooler than a car would, so we are fine up to 85 degrees in most campsites and even 90 degrees for a day or two if we have decent shade and the ability to get good airflow through the trailer. We do not leave for long stretches in the middle of the day during hot weather, instead doing activities like hiking and site-seeing in the afternoon.

We also stay in places for at least a week. Our cats like the camping part but do not love the driving part so we seek to minimize the number of times we bring them in the car to go place to place. Some cats do get carsick, so plan your route carefully to avoid the windy mountain roads or see your vet about anti-nausea drugs or a mild sedative. This is one key to our cats being happy campers... If we were driving them around every couple of days, I think it would be too stressful for them so a week or two in a place works best for us (and is generally a more enjoyable way to travel in an Airstream for us, too).

Since you are thinking about a Bambi, you might also want to get them used to walking on a leash so they can get some fresh air. We have heavy-duty cat harnesses that are very difficult to get out of and we are careful about walking them away from dogs and wildlife. They enjoy being outside and stretching their legs (not much actual walking happens - more fits and starts of movement and flopping on the ground). Get started with this kind of acclimation now - it will make it easier when you are ready to start traveling.

Our cats were 11 when we started traveling with them and they have seen more states than most people. Assuming your cats can adapt, you can make this work for you with the advice in this thread!
TwoSporks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 12:05 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2006 22' Parkway
Poughkeepsie , New York
Fear of towing

As long as your vehicle can handle the weight, I wouldn't jump into a brand new 16' foot Airstream until you have experienced that size. As a single woman, I started out with a 27' Argosy because of the aerodynamic design. Airstream no longer makes the Argosy but has the same design. I never FELT like I was towing something. The ride is amazing and I think you will soon find that out. I later got an Airstream and loved both of them. You may not want to go up to the size that has two axels, but they are so much easier to back than a single axel, but with practice you can do it. If you can, rent an Airstream and try it out. I have no idea where, but it is worth looking into. You might be better off getting a used Airstream until you find out what you really want. Also, it might be a good idea to get some towing lessons. I know the Escapees club has a boot camp that helps you learn everything about your RV. I believe they are now offering their "boot camp" on line. Sometimes, the big rallies give help on learning how to be comforted with your RV. However, if you are apprehend about starting out, you should look for some lessons in the beginning. Have faith, you can do it!!!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 12:07 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
We traveled with a cat 4 years till she died without an issue.
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 09-27-2017, 03:28 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB International
Orleans , Massachusetts
Full timing in Bambi w/cats

We travel with two cats in a 25' and they are very much at home as we are. A Bambi would give them less room but I don't think that would be a problem. You will have to sacrifice space for their litter box and if the kitties are young, or older like mine, you need to provide toys and some physical activity. Like a laser pointer or scratch pads, etc. I'd be more concerned about checking out the trailer for you, especially if you'll be living in it. Those smaller trailers have a bed that is difficult to say the least, to change the sheets and remake. Look at all the different elements in your new home and think through how it will work for you. Good luck!
ASaddiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 05:31 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoSporks View Post
Don't let people discourage you! Unless someone has traveled with a cat and it didn't work, I do not consider advice from inexperienced naysayers to be very helpful.

Our cats have been full-time Airstreamers for more than a year and before that, traveled with us on months-long trips. We stay mostly in public campgrounds or on public lands and thus have never had an issue with RV park rules. We also do not travel to places where it will get too hot in the trailer. The Airstream stays much cooler than a car would, so we are fine up to 85 degrees in most campsites and even 90 degrees for a day or two if we have decent shade and the ability to get good airflow through the trailer. We do not leave for long stretches in the middle of the day during hot weather, instead doing activities like hiking and site-seeing in the afternoon.

We also stay in places for at least a week. Our cats like the camping part but do not love the driving part so we seek to minimize the number of times we bring them in the car to go place to place. Some cats do get carsick, so plan your route carefully to avoid the windy mountain roads or see your vet about anti-nausea drugs or a mild sedative. This is one key to our cats being happy campers... If we were driving them around every couple of days, I think it would be too stressful for them so a week or two in a place works best for us (and is generally a more enjoyable way to travel in an Airstream for us, too).

Since you are thinking about a Bambi, you might also want to get them used to walking on a leash so they can get some fresh air. We have heavy-duty cat harnesses that are very difficult to get out of and we are careful about walking them away from dogs and wildlife. They enjoy being outside and stretching their legs (not much actual walking happens - more fits and starts of movement and flopping on the ground). Get started with this kind of acclimation now - it will make it easier when you are ready to start traveling.

Our cats were 11 when we started traveling with them and they have seen more states than most people. Assuming your cats can adapt, you can make this work for you with the advice in this thread!
Thank you so much for cats info. Yes! I've one harness that one of my cat would enjoy to walk with and the other one not so much yet...
I wouldn't leave my kitties for airstream living, don't worry! Cats first before my new lifestyle..., that can wait at the worst case. I love the airstream community, all of you have been so helpful. Can't wait to take my first trip in 3 years!!
Old 09-27-2017, 07:39 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Thanks to so many of you have many great advice. I will look both new & used and also other size with open minded. Taking a lesson towing a trailer is another great idea, never thought there's such a course. I definitely need to plan more details and maybe renting a small airstreams for a week trip to start with. I'm very grateful to be part of this forum.
Old 09-27-2017, 09:31 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Box Elder (formerly Long Island, NY) , South Dakota
You're wise to be planning this far in advance! The single best thing you can do is to find and attend an RV Boot Camp. Mistakes made with RVs are often costly and, sometimes dangerous. At RVBC you, along with ~ 200 other newbies, will receive an EXCELLENT education about all the systems found on a modern RV. RVBC graduates are safer RVers and, smarter RV buyers. The Escapees RV Club run a great RVBC, often over a weekend. Other groups also offer RVBC, some as long as eight days (more socializing). Some insurance companies offer discounts to RVBC grads too. At RVBC, you'll also have the opportunity to see MANY different RVs and, speak with the owners after class hours.

I wish I had started downsizing MUCH sooner. It can be an amazingly difficult task. It's amazing how much "stuff" we all seem to amass.

Good luck in your planning, RVing is a wonderful lifestyle.
NY24 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bambi 16 full time