Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-22-2008, 11:56 AM   #61
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
I just got back from lunch and here in Atlanta we are getting just fringe stuff. We are getting that weird tropical storm approaching wind that seems like it is blowing but it's not really blowing. You see it in the tree tops, but you don't feel it at the ground except in little burst or you see it in the shrubs at a distant but it really isn't where you are standing. The air is warm and muggie, but not all that humid. I guess that is the low pressure/falling pressure thing.

My wife gets migraines when a storm front approaches and she got a doozie this morning about 2:00 am. She woke me up running to the bathroom to throw up. She still had it when the dog came and got me out of bed at 5:30 to let him out. She was asleep on the sofa in the great room. He knew not to bother her. She is stubborn about taking anything for her headaches because of digestive irritability but I made her take some of my Max-alt before she left. She called me about 9:00 and said her principal had made her go home and had the school secretary call in a sub for her. Becki told me that the Max-alt had begun to work, but it was a relief to get away from the school children (second grade).

Since Fay likes the south and isn't heading up the east coast like most good little hurricanes, we aren't expecting too much of the desperately needed rain. We are looking at 40% chance today and each of the next two days. Lake Lanier that supplies Atlanta with drinking water is down over 20' so we could sure use the rain.

I hope you folks in the pan handle and points west don't get flooded out or better yet don't wake up to find that Fay turned bad and became a real hurricane and makes bad mojo on your property. The Mississippi Delta region still hasn't completely recovered from Katrina and no telling what kind of economic set back would occur if another one were to hit that region any time soon.

Take care and batten down the hatches!
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 12:23 PM   #62
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Northwest Panhandle , The Sunshine State/WBCCI 6637
Rain and Wind

It is finally dropping a couple of drops here and there but it has not really started raining yet.I am just on the edge of it right now so it should be starting here real soon.Everything is done and all I have to do is get the little one out of school and that is it.Hope all goes well for the rest of everyone else.

Devoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 07:31 PM   #63
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Windy

Stabalizers up or down to help secure the Airstream.The wind is really kicking up now and they say that it will keep its power since it is going over water for a little bit.Makes me wonder if we will get some 40 plus gusts here.It is not raining yet so I want to nip this in the bud now before it starts to dump some big drops here.Thanks all.

Old 08-22-2008, 07:50 PM   #64
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Steve,

You decide it's too much I have a driveway for you here. Power and water and a bed inside the house. Only 2 hours away - maybe a little late but if you go you have a place.

Put the stabilizers down to help keep it from rocking.

It's expected to turn north before hitting us but still a rain event expected here.

Mike
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 07:57 PM   #65
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
Naples , Florida
Naples,and we are still getting the outer bands,gusts to 40 mph,cloud bust one minute ,then sun the next,this has been going on since Monday.Dave
easyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 08:15 PM   #66
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Viera , Florida
We're Swimming Here

It's over here in the Melbourne, FL area, but we got over two FEET of rain in some areas. I'm okay where I live, and Daisy spent the storm inside a high and dry storage facility.

I didn't see any replies from the posters located in Indian Harbor Beach and Land Yacht Harbor. Are you guys okay? IHB had some serious flooding and Land Yacht Harbor is just across the road from the Lamplighter Village trailer park that had to be evacuated by swamp buggy since there was five feet of water in there.

Randy
2014 27FB Flying Cloud - SilverCabin II
2018 F-150 Platinum - unnamed

The best part of any trip is when you pull away from home.
SilverCabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 09:04 PM   #67
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Non-Drug Migraine Treatment (minor hijack)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate View Post
My wife gets migraines when a storm front approaches and she got a doozie this morning about 2:00 am. She woke me up running to the bathroom to throw up. She still had it when the dog came and got me out of bed at 5:30 to let him out. She was asleep on the sofa in the great room. He knew not to bother her. She is stubborn about taking anything for her headaches because of digestive irritability but I made her take some of my Max-alt before she left. She called me about 9:00 and said her principal had made her go home and had the school secretary call in a sub for her. Becki told me that the Max-alt had begun to work, but it was a relief to get away from the school children (second grade).
Most of the females in my family have a history of migraines - which often get misdiagnosed. Most of the drugs they use to treat these headaches have either bad side effects or result in a bounce-back headache 4 to 24 hours later. After 20 years I got some very simple things that WORK quickly and with no bad side effects. Next time your wife gets a headache, make her soak her hands and feet in hot water, and put icepacks on her forehead and on the back of her neck. That alone will almost immediately cut the severity of the headache by 50-70%. Next, there is a tendon and nerve bundle between the thumb and forefinger, that is moderately painful when you pinch it with the thumb and forefinger of the other hand. Have your wife locate that sensitive spot. When she gets a headache, if the hot water trick doesn't work fast enough either you or she should pinch those painful spots and hold it for about a minute. If you ask your wife to describe her headaches from 1 minor to 5 as bad as it can get, she'll tell you the pinching technique will lower the intensity of the headache by two numbers.

Migraines are frequently mis-diagnosed as sinus headaches because your nose will get stuffy and run quite often during the onset stage. Decongestants DO NOTHING for a migraine, so if anyone else out there thinks they have sinus headaches that don't respond well to medication, try the migraine tricks.

I occasionally had headaches that would put me in a darkened room for three days, now I feel one coming on and I can work it into submission in 15 minutes. Hope this works as well for your wife.

Paula
Old 08-22-2008, 09:09 PM   #68

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We're still waiting for Fay here west of Panama City. The winds have picked up. We had a beautiful sunset on the beach with our neighbors. Fay is supposed to hit Walton County in the middle of the night. Lucy is standing` by in the driveway if we decide to leave.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 10:19 PM   #69
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devoman View Post
Stabalizers up or down to help secure the Airstream.The wind is really kicking up now and they say that it will keep its power since it is going over water for a little bit.Makes me wonder if we will get some 40 plus gusts here.It is not raining yet so I want to nip this in the bud now before it starts to dump some big drops here.Thanks all.
Stabilizers down, bow into the wind. Hitch to the tow vehicle for added weight. Make sure all antennas and covers are locked down and stowed. Shore power unplugged, fresh water tank full, hose disconnected from the house, windows and vents closed.
Steer for the third star to the right, and straight on 'till morning.
Old 08-22-2008, 10:25 PM   #70
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Wind and rain

It has finally hit here.Wind is pretty gusty also.I am pretty sure Moosetags has already been getting the start of it by now.

Old 08-22-2008, 10:32 PM   #71
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Viera , Florida
You guys should be okay unless something falls on you. We had Airstreams around here still standing upright after the 2004 hurricanes when the white boxes around them were on their sides.

Good luck,

Randy
2014 27FB Flying Cloud - SilverCabin II
2018 F-150 Platinum - unnamed

The best part of any trip is when you pull away from home.
SilverCabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 05:51 AM   #72
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Southport (Panama City) , Florida
Send a message via AIM to ibgl6
So far nothing to report dont know about devoman and moosetags but on the poor side of the tracks everything looks good....SAM

Air#15607 TAC FL-2

Good Sam (LifeTime Member)
ibgl6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 07:05 AM   #73
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

1955 22' Flying Cloud
2021 27' Globetrotter
Gulfport , Mississippi
......and it looks like Fay is headed our way along the Gulf Coast.
WBCCI #9275 TAC #MS-5 AIR #11800
Overlander & Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 07:22 AM   #74
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Southport (Panama City) , Florida
Send a message via AIM to ibgl6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander & Sea View Post
......and it looks like Fay is headed our way along the Gulf Coast.
This darn thang is becomming a pain when will it ever end????

Air#15607 TAC FL-2

Good Sam (LifeTime Member)
ibgl6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 08:20 AM   #75
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
I remember a tropical storm many years ago that caused this kind of problem. It started out near Mexico, barley made a hurricane, wallowed up the Eastern seaboard for a while, and finally stalled over central New York and Pennsylvania. Damage was in the billions, whole towns were wiped out.
If you Google "Agnes" you'll get a lot of reading material from 1972.
Old 08-23-2008, 09:01 AM   #76
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Storm

Well...It didnt storm like it was going to and thats a good thing but now we are waiting for the east side of the storm to hit us which is always the fun side to deal with.Winds are going to be switching to the SW.I figure it will be here in a few more hours give or take a few.
There is house being built across the street from me and the trash bin was not emptied and it is overflowing with wood and whatever else you can think of.Once the winds hit hard enough It could get intresting.Only time will tell.

Old 08-23-2008, 09:08 AM   #77

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Here in Santa Rosa Beach it's raining this morning, but not that bad yet. Not much wind either at this point. We're three houses off the ocean, and we've got Lucy here in the driveway out in the alley.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 10:55 AM   #78
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Altoona , Florida
Talking post hurrican

Just finished cleaning up - mowed the yard- look'en good here- green green green - more rain on the way - good as the lake is up.
Poprivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 02:24 PM   #79
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Storm

So far it has been great with light winds and drizzle for rain.Still waiting on the big one to hit though.

Old 08-23-2008, 02:44 PM   #80
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

1955 22' Flying Cloud
2021 27' Globetrotter
Gulfport , Mississippi
We're starting to get a little wind. Purchased supplies, checked on family here, etc. this morning. We live 1 1/2 miles from the Gulf of Mexico, stayed for Katerina-wow, thought I was then-but I was wrong.
WBCCI #9275 TAC #MS-5 AIR #11800
Overlander & Sea is offline   Reply With Quote