Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-24-2020, 09:49 AM   #41
1 Rivet Member

2018 27' International
Victoria , British Columbia
I injured myself in a cycling accident and had trouble doing the leg over thing as well. I simply tilted bike to step over and pull it up. Made my legs stronger with side and regular squats.

I also had a Bike Friday but found the wheels a bit small so that rough roads made the bike less stable at slower speeds.
brissden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 10:15 AM   #42
The Silverdome

2003 28' Classic
PEORIA , Illinois
Prodeco

Prodeco makes a wide range of ebikes, assembled in USA, and most priced around $1500. Love my Phantom folding bike.
wiegabr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 11:53 AM   #43
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Hinckley , Ohio
Try changing the seat post to a dropper post. Lower it to get on. Raise it when riding.
Also consider adding a pedal assist motor. I added them to our hybrids. My wife wasn’t to thrilled at first. After the first ride she loves it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	744C779E-5B3B-43EB-8C3D-7EF6949FE8B1.jpeg
Views:	31
Size:	479.4 KB
ID:	368620   Click image for larger version

Name:	0645CF6B-E720-4586-9953-2E2D771BAE54.jpeg
Views:	34
Size:	540.4 KB
ID:	368621  

Name:	A8EDB38B-38F4-4ED8-BA56-7245EC828A42.jpeg
Views:	33
Size:	315.6 KB
ID:	368622   Click image for larger version

Name:	E05DE217-D256-4D50-926A-48AC812CB422.jpeg
Views:	36
Size:	542.5 KB
ID:	368623  

Old 05-24-2020, 12:09 PM   #44
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Rogers , Arkansas
Yoga!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belbein View Post
I'm back on my road bike for exercise and remembering how much I loved cycling. BUT ... now that I'm a bit wiser (o.k. "older") I'm finding it hard to throw my leg over that crossbar to mount. My current bike is a Fuji Absolut Hybrid with a lower- than- road- bike bar, but not low enough.

I'm sure other "wise" adults must have this problem as our hips lose flexibility. I'm curious what solutions y'all have tried.

Other than that all suggestions are welcome.
After a hip replacement, yoga has been fantastic for me. At minimum a 20 minute stretching routine in the morning with coffee.
The best part my cycling has improved as well.
Mikebrady62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 01:30 PM   #45
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melchior View Post
I feel your stiffness as I mature into the mid 60s although thankfully it is a bit mild for now. My wife and I just "graduated" into "his" and "hers" Specialized Como 4.0 turbo E-assist bikes and wow what a joy they are. The Specialized dealer guru suggested I consider the same step through as my wife but like you I resolutely suggested my Y chromosome was not capable of that adjustment yet and I bought the more gently sloping almost walk through boy neutering, wisdom instilling bike. However, after seeing her bike in action alongside mine, when the time comes I wouldn't hesitate to "copy" her wisdom.
We are about to purchase Specialized Como bikes as well. We are very excited. Curious how you are transporting yours when Airstreaming? We have narrowed it down to either carrying in racks inside the Airstream or possibly on the front of the truck. Too heavy to put on the Yakima rack on the roof of the topper. Have friends that lost their Fiama rack with 2 ebikes attached somewhere in AZ. Discovered it after they arrived at their campsite.
WBAC #5932
judyjudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 02:30 PM   #46
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Racine , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belbein View Post
Thanks everyone for the Bike Friday suggestions. They are really cool ideas.

I'm also going to look for "Gravel bikes." A customer service/tech rep at Nashbar suggested it because the bars are lower because they're made for people who are always getting on and off (I suspect that's a nice way of saying "falling off".)

The search goes on. (But no girls bikes. No no no.)
Not every man is man enough to ride a "girls" bike. If you were to ask me why I ride a "girls" bike my answer would be watching me riding away.
Kilroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 03:05 PM   #47

1989 25' Excella
Newmarket , Ontario
Not sure if I understand your issue correctly. I'm 68 & still riding too. When mounting I lean the bike into me, and throw my leg over the back wheel, not the crossbar. When dismounting, as I slow down, I put my left foot out and on the ground, and lay the bike towards it, pulling my right leg back over the rear wheel.
nnovice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 06:49 PM   #48
1 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Ft. Myers , Florida
Old and stiff

Me too! Finally quit my hybrid (many falls because I can’t get off). No pride here, bought 2 Townie ebikes with step through. Love them
rolitsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 07:05 PM   #49
2 Rivet Member

2007 23' Safari SE
2016 25' Flying Cloud
Anderson , South Carolina
You’re a serious rider who wants to get back on the paceline. Take your turn at the pointy end of the group. Wants to show up to a local ride, kitted up, fueled up, ready up to clip in. I suggest you look for a compact frame with the slanted down tube. Any brand will do as long as it’s fitted to you. I suggest a compact crank... it’s easier on the knees. Welcome back to the peleton.
MikeMadden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 06:08 AM   #50
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
West Windsor , Vermont
Curious because we’ve been thinking about getting a second eBike. How do you load two 40+ lb eBikes on a Fiama rack without exceeding the 77lb limit.
Peterf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 06:15 AM   #51
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Stuart , Florida
re: transporting a bike...I use a 7' ladder section, with a wood receiver attached for the rear wheel and bungee tie the front wheel (turned sideways) to the other end of the ladder.

I put a couple of inline skate wheels on the rear end (so it will roll in the pickup)

Short box gmc crew, lift rear end of bike to tail gate, lift other end up..roll bike into pickup. Close & lock tailgate to secure.

2 bikes take up most of the bed, but I pack outdoor stuff around them. We have used these for 4 or 5 years, works great for us
Denny Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 08:05 AM   #52
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I lean the bike far over towards me. (45 deg?) then swing my leg over the back wheel and stand in front of the seat. Rotate the left pedal down, step on it and push off and sit.
I had to add a riser on the steering so the bars were higher. Any lower and it put too much weight on my hands. My hands fell asleep.
I added bar end grips (vertical sections) so I had lots of choices in where the hands go.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	unnamed-4.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	368677  
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 08:39 AM   #53
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Western NC , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterf View Post
Curious because we’ve been thinking about getting a second eBike. How do you load two 40+ lb eBikes on a Fiama rack without exceeding the 77lb limit.

They don’t
JonDNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 04:03 PM   #54

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Fairfield , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by nnovice View Post
Not sure if I understand your issue correctly. I'm 68 & still riding too. When mounting I lean the bike into me, and throw my leg over the back wheel, not the crossbar. When dismounting, as I slow down, I put my left foot out and on the ground, and lay the bike towards it, pulling my right leg back over the rear wheel.
That is the way I have always gotten on and off my bike. What do is make sure the pedal is high on the leg going over the back tire so I can step down on it right away and roll.
Had to go to the garage and check, it's so instinctive.

Thanks,
Matti
Mattirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 08:45 PM   #55
3 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
Keizer , Oregon
The cool boys ride these! My seat had red flames on it, O-so-cool!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	schwinnstingraybicycle-15682944338740.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	368712  
Ahroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 06:31 AM   #56
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Hinckley , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterf View Post
I installed a front hitch on my F250. The F250 has the snow plow package and the extra weight is not a problem. I also use a Thule 919 tray bike rack. The bikes don’t hang. The rack steps up from the mount. It also folds up. I can see over them no problem. The issue is bugs get on the bikes.
Old 05-27-2020, 05:55 PM   #57
2 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB International
Livermore , California
I suggest look for something with a sloping top tube. I'm happy to say I can't yet relate to your problem, but I'm somewhat short leg/long torso, ride 52cm road bike based on my inseam, and always feel cramped. So run a long stem and be too far over the front wheel... eventually I found a Specialized frame with sloping top tube - it's called a 56cm frame, but it's 52cm from bottom bracket to top tube, and and a nice long comfortable top tube.

I also thing a gravel bike is a good suggestion, more sloping top tube and relaxed touring geometry, and you can run slicks if you don't want to be dirty, and very common to find one with 27.5" or 650b wheels might lower things for you too.

Also, re-read the post above about leaning your bike and putting your leg over the rear wheel. I honestly have no idea how I mount my bike but I'm pretty sure that's it. I don't throw my leg over the top tube, pretty sure.
MotoMannequin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 12:25 PM   #58
Rivet Master

2020 25' Flying Cloud
Atlanta , Georgia
The Last Post!

I'm the one who started this, so I figured I should finish it.

We solved the issue, at least in part, in an unexpected way. My wife allowed me to get her back on her bike, and she enjoys it as I do. But getting on and off is tough, though she is the moral equivalent of 18. A folding bike didn't appeal to her.

We found that (surprise!) there are a whole bunch of people in our situation. And that bike manufacturers are addressing the issue. There are a whole bunch of brands addressing this with "step over" frames and "low rise" frames, which allow you to … you guessed it … get on the bike by stepping over.

These are NOT--emphatically NOT--"girl's bikes" or "European style". They're actually pretty cool. We looked carefully around and found Trek Verve and Specialized Roll models. They're beautifully designed and well appointed, 21 to 24 gears, comfortable to ride, great upright position. I recommend looking, if any of y'all are interested.

What it doesn't do is solve the problem of how to take them camping. I'll start another thread about that. Thanks for all of y'all input.
Belbein is offline   Reply With Quote