Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Steps
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-28-2005, 03:03 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
Replacing Steps

I have a 1978 24ft Argosy. It has the steps intact now; however, they are not very steady and sometimes don't lock into place. There are two steps. I have recently seen a 78, 24ft Argosy that had just one step that was very steady. Does anyone know where I might get replacement steps. I think I have seen these offered somewhere but can't remember where. Judy
juel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 06:58 PM   #2
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
The real issue is likely the slots cut in the outriggers that hold the step. Check these slots and see if they are not right. If the ends are not right they can be repaired. The replacement steps are big bucks new.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 05:28 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
Thanks, I think. I'm not just sure what I'm supposed to be looking for. Do you have a picture? I don't have all the trailer terms straight. I don't really know what an "outrigger" is. Don't you just hate these new guys who aren't in the loop yet???? Didn't I buy some window latches from you? They will work just great if I did. Judy
juel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 06:02 AM   #4
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
I might have a picture. I will have to do some looking at my photo files.

Yes you did get some latches from me off Ebay. I am glad I was able to help you out.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 06:46 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1993 34' Excella
, Maryland
Any luck on finding the pictures???

I am having a problem where my steps don't like to lock in place now either (right side locks, left side doesn't want to stay locked. I was wondering if it had something to do with the channel that the steps ride in.

-Alden
Alden Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 09:12 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1993 34' Excella
, Maryland
Never mind...

After searching a few more threads I found some that pointed me in the right direction. Looks like the upper edge of the track in the left outrigger is bent in. This makes the area that locks the steps too big. I think that I'll be able to straighten this and have working steps again.

-Alden
Alden Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 09:25 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Austin , Central Texas
Step me in the right direction

Alden,
Seems we have a similar situation. Our 1988 Excella steps just don't seat correctly. What did you find and did it solve your problems?
FlyFishInn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 06:52 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Yelm , Washington
Step adjustement issues.

Re-establishing the basics:

The top step is attached to two "L" shaped bracket that have posts (or shoulder bolts) located on either side near the top of the "L" bracket. The posts ride or slide in a banana shaped groove or channel cut into the outrigger or frame extension that supports the step. This is the framed compartment that supports the step assembly.

When examining the banana shaped channel that the post rides in there are two things that make the operation of the step work well or not, assuming the channel is not bent. At one end of the banana shaped channel, closest to the outside edge of the coach there is a hook shaped notch that the post (or shoulder bolt locks into when the step is pulled out and downward pressure is placed on the step. It is a stop that conforms to the round barrel shape of the post or bolt mounted on the "L" shaped step bracket. It that notch is worn unevenly or bent or damaged in anyway or is different than the other side, the step will not lock evenly from side to side and it will wobble or disengage. If it needs to be adjusted, this notch can be shaped carefully with a rat tail file to allow the post to fit more evenly on both sides.

New subject:

If the step will not stay put when it is locked out of the way for travel, it is the fault of the other end of the banana shaped groove or channel that the posts ride in. On that end, and associated with that end there is a swing arm that is operated by the chrome knob on the right of the entry step. The knob, when depressed engages a "Y" shaped swing arm (or near enough to a Y shape) linkage that swings into the travel path of the post or shoulder bolt. This bracket must swing in place to block the path of the posts on the "L" bracket equally on both sides for the step to "lock" into place and remain stable and secure.

If the left side needs adjustment (up or down) take a crescent wrench and adjusted it (1/4 inch or so) so it fits the linkage (which is square stock) and near the left grommet carefully bend it up or down so it blocks the path or clears it, either way. On the right side you can carefully bend the mild steel link the chrome knob attach's to so that it hits the door frame sooner or later to allow the link to block or clear the path. I ended up taking a file and increasing (by 1/8 ") the swing of this link upward to adjust the step. It works great now.

My step was ripped completely off by the PO's in some wild repossession attempt by a jealous relative (his brother) left out of the will. Whoo hoo ! I can see it now, lawn chairs and coolers, shore power wires and hoses snappin and flappin, whippin and rollin.... The coach was pampered for years and I think I found her in time. She has a bright future ahead of her... complete restoration underway .
JimmyJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 07:12 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1977 27' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Send a message via Yahoo to dustyrhodes
This seems to be a common problem. My 1977 Overlander also has the problem of one side locking and the other side not. I thought initially that it was the bolt on the other side of the outrigger that I could not get to without removing the aluminum. I will definitely try your suggestion. I have disassembled my steps because I was missing a couple of bolts and others were rusted beyond the wire brush. Any ideas on where to get those bolts or what it is that I am asking for? THX
dustyrhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 08:24 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Yelm , Washington
The bolts are available through Andy's shop via Airstream.

Airstream or Inland can send you a copy of the schematic (for the step) with assembly instructions and they will also send you a sheet identifying the different parts for the steps assembly (wave washer, bronze washers, 1/2 " shoulder bolts, countersunk aluminum washers etc).

Have your model number handy.

I think they still make or have access to most of the parts for these steps such as the upper and lower arms.

Be seated when you hear the prices for the bolts though. Other parts are less electrifying.

I guess custom mill work don't come cheap.

Happy Trails !
JimmyJames is offline   Reply With Quote