Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Steps
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-19-2004, 11:59 AM   #21
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
Thanks for the info. My cousin has the welding stuff so I am sure I can let him experiment on my trailer

I have not really looked into it as it works, and I had lots of other things that needed attention. Maybe its time to crawl back under there
Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 08:42 PM   #22
1 Rivet Member

sagging steps

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71tradewind
Tim ... I had the same exact thing wrong with my 71 .Mine was worn on the right hand side just as yours.The amount of metal that is needed to repair it was minamal but none the less welding was the only real option.The other thing I found was that the whole step had a bit of a twist in it,not the frame that supports it ,but the step itself .I fixed mine last spring and have been happy ever since.If you can't weld it yourself I would recommend a local welding shop.I used a welder similar to the ones sold at Wal-Mart.
I went to andy's business, inland rv, and purchased the right side outrigger for less than $30.00. its brand new and fit perfectly. 15 minutes of install time and guess what, good as new. even better since i primed and painted it.
teemack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2004, 02:23 PM   #23
Vince & Virginia

1969 21' Globetrotter
Riverside , California
Missing Step

Does anyone have photos/dimensions of the the extra step that attached to the built-in pull-out step? I've been told that they exist, but have never seen one. I, and another 69 owner want to acquire extra steps for our rigs, but aren't sure what we are looking for or the specs to get them fabricated.

Virginia
Towster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 08:49 PM   #24
1 Rivet Member

steps

Virginia, do you want to buy another set of steps, or just build one. The aluminum fold down, swing out steps might be tough to make. It would be much easier to buy a used set. Note that there are at least two different styles. I have a 75 Overlander and it has a different latch than the 1990 model. Inland RV has an exploded diagram but the dimensions are not listed. Let me know if I can be of any help. thanks, travis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towster
Does anyone have photos/dimensions of the the extra step that attached to the built-in pull-out step? I've been told that they exist, but have never seen one. I, and another 69 owner want to acquire extra steps for our rigs, but aren't sure what we are looking for or the specs to get them fabricated.

Virginia
teemack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 11:10 PM   #25
Vince & Virginia

1969 21' Globetrotter
Riverside , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by teemack
It would be much easier to buy a used set.
I would be happy to buy a used extra step (plus another set for my other airstream buddy) - but we are willing to get them fabricated if necessary. What do they look like for a 1969 model?

Virginia
Old 07-27-2004, 11:18 PM   #26
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
I have a '71 with the extra step.

Here are some photos that may help or confuse you

The sides of the step are hinges that rotate all the way around. There is a bracket under the trailer with slots for the step poles to slide into and a bolt to hold it in place.

The step is removed and the sides rotate all the way around before sliding in place on the built- step.

The pictures show the step in place, removed and set on the ground. Next the sides up, but the step is upside down still. Then the bracket under the trailer. Finally the step with the sides rotated in place.
Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 12:41 AM   #27
Vince & Virginia

1969 21' Globetrotter
Riverside , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Safari Tim
I have a '71 with the extra step.

Here are some photos that may help or confuse you
Thank You TIM !!!

That is exactly what I was looking for !!!

Virginia