Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2004, 03:15 PM   #1

wheels

if anyone needs extra wheels that are 15in 6 lug 5 1/2 in lug spread then use toyota 4x4 pickup. good heavy wheels and they are the same. i needed one but had to take the set for 60.00, that was a deal and they were like new.
rock001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 03:45 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Airstreams require 2600 pound rated wheels.

What are the ratings on the Toyota wheels?

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 04:08 PM   #3

Andy, i don't know for sure but they are alot heaver than the ones on my airstream.
i guess you could ask a Toyota dealer. most rvs are running pretty light weight tires anyway. brotherinlaw of mine just got back from a trip to alaska and lost one wheel and blowed on tire. funny thing, most blowouts on fithwheels are on the right rear. i think the toyota wheels are good and i will use them. i run 8ply rated tires.
rock001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 07:55 PM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In
Airstreams require 2600 pound rated wheels.

What are the ratings on the Toyota wheels?

Andy
Andy, I recently got hold of a set of four OEM wheels, that very clearly are stamped 1900 pounds. This was on a tandem axle unit, and they definitely are from the factory. The only thing different was they have center caps that say "argosy" on them.
The trailer they came off had 5600# GVW. Argosy SHOULD be the same cap. as Airstream, right?
The wheels also have different size (smaller) hubs, and a different offset than my trailer. They have a 0 offset, and my trailer has a 30 offset.
Terry
Old 08-19-2004, 08:27 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Argosy20.

The purpose of the Argosy addition to the Airstream family, was well thought out.

Basically, it was supposed to be a "cheap" version of an Airstream. In every area that they could, Airstream reduced the cost of production. Quality was cut, margins were reduced, performance conditions were reduced, even the size of brakes was reduced.

That is not to say they built an unsafe trailer. It's sort of the same thing as the difference between a Cadillac and Chevy.

Andy

Wheels were included in that manufacturing plan, along with many many other items.

Therefore because they were on an Argosy, doesn't necessarily mean they are OK for Airstream duty.
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 09:56 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Colo Spgs , Colorado
Wheels & Choices

Hola

The alum wheels that were offered on the 80's era Grand Cherokee Jeeps have a nice spoked design with the back portion in black. These are six lug bolt units and the big jeeps have a towing/load limit to accept a full plate. At our local pick & pull they are $15 bucks per wheel. If I was to seek other sources of wheels I would be more prone to use these over the Toyoto.

Just a thought ...

Rodger & Gabby
Rodger with a D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004, 05:51 PM   #7
Who popped my rivets?

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Glendale , Oregon
Unhappy Another wheel and tire question

Could you possibly tell me what would be the replacement wheel and tire size for a 56 single axle 22 foot AS trailer? Mine came with mis-matched truck wheels under it and for a spare, and I need to buy some wheels tomorrow so that I can get it the rest of the way home...darn flats!

Thanks for all the great information on this forum!
DustyDevil is offline   Reply With Quote