Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Wheels, Hubs & Bearings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-16-2020, 11:42 AM   #41
1 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Oak Grove , Missouri
Lug nut loony tunes?

Been there with my 2016 Classic. Same thing but discovered swollen chrome caps trying to retorque wheels. A 1/4” chisel and some easy peeling I replaced all lugnuts when a total of 7 appeared the same problem. Then I discovered my 2016 F150 had the same issue.
There is a removal tool for this. About $30.
I found an 18mm lugnut under the cap and was able to do all the work with the chisel. I think it’s crap made in China to save money, just not our money.
mbrownao24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 12:13 PM   #42
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Quote:
Originally Posted by rollieboy View Post
Here's an update after tackling the lug nuts. I drilled a 1/4" hole in center of cap. Then I drilled a 3/8" hole. The drilling is easy because the metal is thin. After I did that I took a straight screwdriver and worked in down one side until I got all the way in. The metal kind of peels back. Actually I was surprised it went pretty smooth. Hope this helps somebody with this issue. Also want to thank everyone who helped guide to thru the repair.
Travel safe.
Happy it worked out for you and the drilling info as well.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 12:51 PM   #43
3 Rivet Member

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Slidell , Louisiana
Go to auto parts store. Buy lug nut removal tool that fits your nut. They are used to remove security keyed nuts when you don't have the keyed socket. Go to YouTube look for how to remove wheel nut lock without a key and you will see several ways, relatively easy, without damaging your wheels.
dayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 01:45 PM   #44
1 Rivet Member

2008 19' Bambi
2012 23' Flying Cloud
Richland , Washington
Covered lugs

I found I had these lugs on my Bambi out in the middle of eastern Oregon. Tire blew out on Bambi, got to love those Marathons, looked over at wife who said should we call roadside assistance? I, of course , said no I can change a tire 3 times before they could get here. Long story short, after rounding over the covers, 5 hours later , about midnight we were back on the road. Roadside assistance guy was very nice asked why Airstream “the finest trailer in the world “would cheep out on these lugs. I just smiled and shrugged I think he got a good laugh out of it. If you know where Farewell Bend in Oregon is we were between there and Baker City. Replaced lugs with solid ones.
KKbambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 02:15 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
The stainless steel capped lug nuts are not a product exclusive to Airstream. MacLean-Fogg developed them about 30 years ago and they have been used for many vehicles. Here is what MacLean-Fogg says about them:

"Decorex Stainless Steel Capped Wheel Fasteners The world's leading automotive wheel fastener, available as original equipment on decorative wheels from most of the world's leading automakers. Our Decorex stainless steel capped wheel nuts are the most durable, the most attractive and without the negative environmental impacts of chrome. Visit the Decorex page on the MacLean-Fogg Component Solutions website by clicking here. Decorex stainless steel capped wheel fasteners are manufactured at our Royal Oak, Michigan factory."

Tim
Tim A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 08:20 PM   #46
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by shannon View Post
Okay, So get rid of the Marathons, and replace with? And a replacing (one piece) lug nut is what?
Good year Endurance. Made in USA
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 08:53 AM   #47
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by KKbambi View Post
Roadside assistance guy was very nice asked why Airstream “the finest trailer in the world “would cheep out on these lugs. I just smiled and shrugged I think he got a good laugh out of it.

If you know where Farewell Bend in Oregon is we were between there and Baker City. Replaced lugs with solid ones.
My guess on the answer to the question above .... because that is what Dexter supplies. And market forces drive a manufacturer to do what they do. Once the decision is made typically the die is cast for hundreds if not tens of thousands of copies. In the automotive world it approaches millions.

And it is possible to remove those type of lug nuts without damage to the lug nut. However it is difficult to do that. Especially repeatedly.

As to that section of US 26, yes been there, done that surrounded by cattle on a drive on that highway near John Day.

Action
Old 08-17-2020, 11:29 AM   #48
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Action View Post
And it is possible to remove those type of lug nuts without damage to the lug nut. However it is difficult to do that. Especially repeatedly.
I think the answer is already in this thread. Properly fitted 6-point sockets make repeated removal and retightening easy and damage free. If the stainless steel covering has been already damaged, all bets are off, of course.

What with repacking bearings and getting new tires, I have dealt with these nuts on our 2002 (bought new) repeatedly and they are still undamaged. On the other hand, a friend bought a newer used Airstream a while back and we immediately put McGard nuts on it because the stainless covers on the originals had been damaged with 12-point sockets. I would guess those sockets were attached to an impact wrench.

Tim
Tim A. is offline   Reply With Quote