Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Wheels, Hubs & Bearings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-26-2004, 10:04 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
Reno , Nevada
Original Split rims vs. something new

I'm sure this topic has been discussed at length, so if anyone can offer up a quick link to another thread I'd sure appreciate it. Here's the question: New owner of a 1967 Safari, previous owner is making necessary repairs to make sure trailer is 'road-ready' for the Pontiac, MI to Reno, NV journey. Repairs include new braking system and tire replacement. Spoke with previous owner today and he mentioned that he is buying 3 new tires and tubes (2 on road plus spare) for the original split wheel rims. As I understand it, there is an interior and exterior piece to these rims and if one needs to get a tire repaired in the event of a flat/blowout/whatever it must to taken to a 'not-your-average' tire center to be repaired. So, I'm thinking about telling the p.o. to order up some 'newer' rims and a different type of tire and I'll reimburse the difference. Are there any advantages to the split rim? Any thoughts or recommendations for a new set-up would be appreciated!
(pic of wheel is attached to '67 newbie thread)
saahieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 10:19 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

Me too!

Pondering same question, will keep a keen eye on this lead.
Thanks, F
Old 10-27-2004, 12:17 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64

Greetings saahieb!

Quote:
Originally Posted by saahieb
I'm sure this topic has been discussed at length, so if anyone can offer up a quick link to another thread I'd sure appreciate it. Here's the question: New owner of a 1967 Safari, previous owner is making necessary repairs to make sure trailer is 'road-ready' for the Pontiac, MI to Reno, NV journey. Repairs include new braking system and tire replacement. Spoke with previous owner today and he mentioned that he is buying 3 new tires and tubes (2 on road plus spare) for the original split wheel rims. As I understand it, there is an interior and exterior piece to these rims and if one needs to get a tire repaired in the event of a flat/blowout/whatever it must to taken to a 'not-your-average' tire center to be repaired. So, I'm thinking about telling the p.o. to order up some 'newer' rims and a different type of tire and I'll reimburse the difference. Are there any advantages to the split rim? Any thoughts or recommendations for a new set-up would be appreciated!
(pic of wheel is attached to '67 newbie thread)
It would be a well-advised move to install modern wheels as the split-rims can be VERY difficult to have serviced when on-the-road. It can be nearly impossible to find a shop willing to work on split-rims when traveling - - and I suspect that outside of tire specialty shops there will be few repair facilities having much experience working with tires containing innertubes. New steel rims aren't particularly expensive (in 1995, the new steel rims for my '64 Overlander were less than $50 each from my Good Year dealer - - they were special trailer wheels with a weight rating of 2,600 pounds). My recommendation would be new steel wheels with Good Year Marathon tires - - I have Marathons on both of my coaches and have been absolutely satisfied with their performance.

You can find a recent discussion of split rims at: Split Rim Discussion

Good luck with your research!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004, 06:53 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
2001 31' Excella
What years where the split rims used?? Curious if that's what I have on my 78.

Thanks!
Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004, 07:12 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1993 30' Excella
1969 18' Caravel
Lovettsville , Virginia
Absolutely DON'T put the split rims back on your trailer! Very few tire shops will touch these if (when) you have a problem down the road or when it comes time for replacement.
Order a new set of steel rims from an authorized Airstream retailer, such as Parkview RV in Delaware.

Bob
takenitez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004, 08:00 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64

Greetings Craig!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig
What years where the split rims used?? Curious if that's what I have on my 78.

Thanks!
If your '78 has its OEM wheels, they are not split rims. The split rims were phased out at some point during the 1960s if my information is correct. I do know that by '78 solid steel wheels were the standard, and aluminum wheels may have been an option on some coaches. In '78, Argosy used styled steel wheels with center caps similar to those used on the same era GM trucks.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004, 01:47 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
Reno , Nevada
OL64 & Taken... Thanks for the info. I'll make sure to get with the previous owner and direct him to re-direct his efforts into new equipment. Also, thanks for the thread link, I'll check it out now.

Steve
saahieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004, 02:19 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by saahieb
........ Spoke with previous owner today and he mentioned that he is buying 3 new tires and tubes (2 on road plus spare) for the original split wheel rims. As I understand it, there is an interior and exterior piece to these rims and if one needs to get a tire repaired in the event of a flat/blowout/whatever it must to taken to a 'not-your-average' tire center to be repaired. So, I'm thinking about telling the p.o. to order up some 'newer' rims and a different type of tire and I'll reimburse the difference. Are there any advantages to the split rim? Any thoughts or recommendations for a new set-up would be appreciated!

One HUGE advantage to the split rim - ease of field repair!!

THe split rim can't be beat for "do it yourself" side of the road repair.

If the tube developes a puncture, take off the tire, deflate totally, remove the lock ring, and you have almost instantaneous access to the tube.

This system could not be beat in the years past when it was necessary for the owner/driver of a rig to make "field repairs". With todays infrastructure and tire reliability it may not be the best way to go.

The split rims really got a bad rep when inexperienced (interpret that as "low paid") workers attempted to reseat the tire with air pressure without having the lock ring properly seated between the tire bead and the rim - and then put their faces right in front of the tire as the bead "popped" into place. Chalk up one more win for Stupidity, Lawyers, the Court System, and increased Consumer Costings.

It truely is (was) a beautiful (easy) tire mounting system that made it a "one man job" to pull the rim, remove the tire, repair the tube, and be on your way in minutes - without having to carry huge tire mounting equipment. I bet every one of the International Travelalls pictured in the early WB Caravan pictures were equipped with split rims -- The "good old days" - gotta love 'em.

Today is easier - carry a spare, get it changed at the ever present "MeglaMart".

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote