Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-17-2014, 01:21 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

benicia , California
Where do you store your hitch when not in use?

I keep my hitch in the garage but I keep the weight distribution bars and anti-sway bar in the AS's rear compartment. I don't think the rear compartment is very secure but I figure the bars are no good to anyone without the hitch. Am I wrong about that? Are the bars universal meaning they can by used by any hitch? Where do you store your hardware?
cantdrv55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 03:50 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Classic
2007 25' International CCD
1993 32' Excella
Largo , Florida
My pro pride stays right on the trailer where it belongs. Now the stinger...

>>ron<<
Old 11-17-2014, 05:02 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Bars go in the front compartment, hitch in the shed. When camping the hitch goes under the tongue. My bars/hitch can only be used with the Blue Ox hitch.
Tincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 05:21 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1987 25' Sovereign
Oregon , Ohio
When at home the hitch head is in the garage and because we have an Andersen hitch it has chains, so I guess that any camper in their right mind would need them. While camping the hitch head gets locked into the quick - bite coupler.
msmcv51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 05:22 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Usually I keep it in the back of the pickup (we have a cap). If I need the bed space in the pickup, I'll put the hitch inside the camper, putting cardboard down to protect the floor. Once in a while, I'll throw it under the tongue of the camper when we're set up at a campground - again, it depends on what I'm doing with the truck.

There are two things driving this decision. One, the (admittedly small) chance of it being stolen. It's a low probability/high impact event, so I take steps to protect the hitch. Also, I like to keep it out of the elements when it's not in use.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 05:24 AM   #6
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
I keep mine in one of those plastic foot lockers. That will be stored in the cab of the truck when we're not using the truck. Otherwise it will be stored in the trailer.
PaulnGina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 07:25 AM   #7

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We tow with a Hensley Arrow and, of course, the main unit and weight distribution bars stay on the Airstream. The hitch bar usually comes off of the truck. When we are at home, I put it in the garage. When I remove the hitch bar at a campground, I put the hitch bar on a stack of three Legos and lock it to the tow chain on the Airstream.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 07:44 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I have a BlueOx SwayPro so of course I remove my hitch and store it in the garage. At camp grounds it goes under the A-frame. Not impressed when someone leaves their over sized hitches attached to the TV and sticking out in crowded parking lots.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 08:40 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
When camping hitch goes either in the pick up bed, with cover OR if we go places visiting in the truck they head goes on the floor of the back area in the pickup in a low plastic box. Bars go in the back storage area as this is the only outside storage we have. While at home everything goes on shelves in the garage.
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 08:44 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
The ProPride head and bars are attached to the A-frame. When camping I pull ahead a foot and slide the stinger back into the head, at home we store the stinger in the garage. I treat the wear areas with CorrosionX and occasionally with touchup paint, then cover it when stored.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 10:11 AM   #11
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
As with the PP & Hensley owners above - everything stays on the trailer, which was a major reason for me to get our Cub, among many others related to towing & ease of use of the tension jacks vs chains.

As with any hitch setup, the tow bar/stinger goes in the TV cab floor/cargo area on the trips, & in the storage shed with the other car & trailer stuff at home.
1960 Avion T20, #2 made, Hensley Cub, TV tbd- looking for 08-22 Cayenne S, EH, etc
1988 VW Vanagon Westfalia CamperGL (Orig Owner) + 1970 Eriba Puck
Tom_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 10:51 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2001 25' Safari
Ridgefield , Washington
When I put the AS into storage, I lay down an old folded sheet on the floor inside the door of the trailer. I lay the hitch, anti-sway bar, weight distribution bars, and the small tool bag that contains all my other hitching stuff right there on that sheet. That way, it's always there with the trailer and I never have to worry about leaving anything at home. This system works for me and I've never gotten any grease inside the trailer.
Nomad518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 11:06 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Venice , Florida
It is too bad that we all have to be paranoid about securing our stuff. What is mine is mine and yours is yours, let it be. That being said, when "camping" I store the ball hitch locked into the tongue receiver, the bars and the sway bars are stored behind the gas tanks on the "A" frame.
BTW! When I bought our AS the mechanic at the dealership stressed the fact that I should not lock the ball to the AS receiver, in the unfortunate event that I needed to separate the trailer from the TV quickly and need a key! I won't get into the details as to why we would need to separate the vehicles, quickly!!

Airdreamers

WBCCI #8880
AIR #41310
airdreamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 02:55 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
The weight bars stay on the L-brackets on the trailer tongue. The hitch head stays in the receiver on the pickup unless I need a different hitch with a different size ball or a different drop for pulling a trailer other than the camper. During those times, the hitch head is stored under the carport or in the shed. We camp almost year-round. February was the only month we didn't camp this year.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 03:20 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
I made a wooden tray to hold the Equalizer hitch, add on tow mirrors, WD bars, and other miscellaneous stuff. It has carpet covered rails on the bottom which protect the floor when it is in the trailer. It slides on furniture glides on a two-part base that goes in the back of the truck. When we store the trailer, the tray goes in the trailer and then the hitch head, bars, mirrors, etc. are put in the tray. When we pick up the trailer, everything mounts on the truck and then the base and tray go in the back of the truck. The tray slides out onto the tailgate on a fold down flap so I don't have to lean over the tailgate to put the hitch in or get it out. If we are staying at a campsite long enough to unhitch, the hitch and accessories go in the tray, on the base, in the back of the truck.
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 04:17 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Venice , Florida
There has been mention of leaving the ball and hitch attached to the TV. My ball and hitch extend out from my TV too far for my comfort. What is it called, KNEE BREAKER? I think that I have seen in other threads that it unlawful in some states to leave the ball and hitch installed when not attached the a trailer or something.

Airdreamers

WBCCI #8880
AIR #41310
airdreamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 04:46 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2002 31' Classic
Currently Looking...
Monroe , Iowa
I leave the ball in the receiver on the truck. It doesn't stick out that far. (If you run into it, you are way too close to my truck.) Besides, with my knees and hips, it's really painful to get down there to pull that pin out.

The bars I lay across the A frame behind the propane tanks. No, I'm not worried about somebody stealling them. They're not much good without the head and the parts bolted to the A frame.

If, by some really strange twist of fate, somebody did steal them, I can tow the trailer on the ball to a dealer for a new hitch. My insurance deductable is only $250. Small price to pay for a new hitch. Besides, I would like to have a Blue Ox or ProPride, anyway.
terryV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 05:44 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
I pull the ProPride stinger out of the truck when it's not hitched. It gets carefully dropped in a corner of the garage where I won't stumble or trip over it. Balance of the hitch stays on the trailer as a deterrent and convenient ballast.

My only real issue with the ProPride is the sheer weight of the stinger. Typically, once I hitch up at the start of a trip the stinger stays on the truck until we get to our final destination. I generally stay hitched enrout because we stay at pull through sites at KOA or other easy in and out sites. We've managed to avoid backing, especially because we tend to pull in fairly late in the day, a consequence of traveling with dogs that need regular breaks. I need to park and set up quietly in the dark to avoid disturbing others.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 05:59 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
Arvada , Colorado
Since we store our trailer at a secure location, we store our Hensley just inside the AS door.
Jack46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 06:33 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by airdreamers View Post
It is too bad that we all have to be paranoid about securing our stuff. What is mine is mine and yours is yours, let it be. That being said, when "camping" I store the ball hitch locked into the tongue receiver, the bars and the sway bars are stored behind the gas tanks on the "A" frame.
BTW! When I bought our AS the mechanic at the dealership stressed the fact that I should not lock the ball to the AS receiver, in the unfortunate event that I needed to separate the trailer from the TV quickly and need a key! I won't get into the details as to why we would need to separate the vehicles, quickly!!
I store mine exactly the same way as you do, and have done it that way for years. Works well for us!
I do agree with your mechanic, by the way, I use a snap pin to secure the couple latch when traveling....we've never had to "quickly" separate the vehicles, thank goodness....

Larry C
Larry C is offline   Reply With Quote