Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-22-2011, 06:34 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
Fountain Inn , South Carolina
Reese Dual Cam & HD truck setup question

I know several of you are running 600# bars on your HD trucks when pulling your AS with a dual cam hitch. I am looking for lessons learned for this setup.

I plan to tow a Safari 25 with a 3/4 ton truck and a Reese Dual Cam hitch with 600# bars. I assume that in the hitch setup, for my specific case, my goal is mostly sway control and very little weight distribution. How much tension do need to put on the bars in this type of setup?

Thanks for any help.
Ridgerunner3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 06:42 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner3 View Post
I know several of you are running 600# bars on your HD trucks when pulling your AS with a dual cam hitch. I am looking for lessons learned for this setup.

I plan to tow a Safari 25 with a 3/4 ton truck and a Reese Dual Cam hitch with 600# bars. I assume that in the hitch setup, for my specific case, my goal is mostly sway control and very little weight distribution. How much tension do need to put on the bars in this type of setup?

Thanks for any help.
The accepted goal is 6 links under tension. You can adjust the head to get the angle for this.
Old 10-22-2011, 07:26 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Twin cams only offer self centering force if there is some reasonable load on the bars. The way I check that I have the right number of links each times it to count the links hanging and not under tension. It is easier than counting the links in tension. With my setup it has two links hanging. As another check, I paint the third link white.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 07:44 PM   #4
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up Scales

Quote:

Thanks for any help.

Good idea to start at the Scales

Bob
Old 10-22-2011, 08:13 PM   #5
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwightdi View Post
Twin cams only offer self centering force if there is some reasonable load on the bars. The way I check that I have the right number of links each times it to count the links hanging and not under tension. It is easier than counting the links in tension. With my setup it has two links hanging. As another check, I paint the third link white.
It doesn't matter how many links are hanging as long as the proper number of links are under tension. You can count them how you want.
Old 10-23-2011, 10:26 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:

Thanks for any help.
I did the same conversion you are contemplating, from 800 to 600# bars with a Reese Dual Cam on a 25' towed with a 1/2 ton HD pickup (because someone on here said it would be better).

You will have to totally readjust the hitch, but you probably already know that. The hitch head will need more angle to the rear, because when it's all said and done, you still need the same amount of weight distribution to keep the original weight on the truck's front axle. Basically, you have to bend the 600's more by putting the same amount of weight on them as you had on the 800's.

The net result is, you will have barely perceivable improvement in ride quality, and I do mean BARELY.

I believe I found the cheapest way to do the conversion by buying a complete hitch on EBAY with the 600 bars, and then reselling the hitch on EBAY with the 800's, and it cost me about $150. Knowing all this, I would not do it again...just my opinion, but based on my experience.
Old 10-23-2011, 11:24 AM   #7
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwightdi View Post
The chain links "under stress" should "always" be counted, and never those hanging loose.

That prevents accidentially putting a twist in the chain that shortens it, from one side to the other.

Keep your eyes on the business end and not on what doesn't matter.

And besides that, what's hanging loose has nothing to do with anything.

The only "hanging loose" is to relax and enjoy our lives.

You know, hang loose, like in Hawaii, where everyone is family, because they are all cousins.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote