Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2008, 08:55 PM   #21
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by seaotter
is the hensley really that much better than conventional friction wd hitches in terms of performance and handling? i am about to retire and spend more time traveling and i want to have the best ride/tow that i can find. is it really worth the $?
I have 45,000 miles on my conventional setup. A Reese Dual cam. Ford F-250 diesel with a 06 classic 31. Works well. 1/4 the cost of the hensley. the difference will buy a few gallons of fuel.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 10:12 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' International CCD
Camarillo , California
Hensley

many thanks to those who replied, i appreciate the thoughts and advice.

ps; yes, i still have the infiniti QX56, and it tows the 30SO like a dream.
loft47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 10:23 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
1964 19' Globetrotter
1955 26' Cruiser Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Not trying to slam your truck, but you have a borderline situation...

Dangerous combo - very little margin, if any. Can only be determined by going to the scales with your "typical" load for a trip (gas, cargo, fluids, etc).

Not even the best hitches can compensate for overloading the truck's receiver and/or frame, not to mention other components such as brakes, transmission, etc.

Please check your weights at a public scale.
Maxwell the 1964 Globe Trotter
Name TBD the 1955 Overlander
WBCCI # 6155
AIR # 6155

2nd love - 2006 28' Safari LS
1st love - 2004 19' CCD Bambi
Bambi_Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 11:43 PM   #24
_

. , .
Quote:
...yes, i still have the infiniti QX56, and it tows the 30SO like a dream.
hi ya otter, that's great.

would the haha make it even dreamier?

i doubt it.

why are you even curious IF the current set up is so perfect?

why fix a dream?

as bandit and i have suggested in this thread, and many suggested in your other thread...

the the Q is overmatched in tongue capacity, payload, total towing mass and so on...

at least on paper. but the dealer tells you it ok, and you report the dreamy towing...

using a haha will only make the OVERLOADED issue worse...

250 lbs more payload and the extra stress on drive train, brakes and tires is what the haha offers you.

it works for richL, but his unit weight 1000-1500 + lbs less than your trailer.

keep doing what u are doing and let us know how it goes....dream or nightmare.

it sure seems you don't need it for safe happy towing.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 01:17 AM   #25
Islay - 63 O.

1963 26' Overlander
Montreal , -
Send a message via MSN to dufferin
???

and I guess anybody who sells something else will always come to say that the Hensley doesn't worth it. But may be the 3P is better because $500 less... I don't really get your point here.

I am sorry but it's a short cut that I can't buy... I am sure stupid enough to have spend $3.000 in an HaHa and just because of that find it perfect. If it was not up to the task, for the price I would be pissed off and I would tell everybody!!!

And may be there is a reason if people keep it beyond the 60 days...

So to be crystal clear :
if you drive your AS 8 week end a year for 100 miles each week end it's not that it doesn't worth it it's just that you don't really need it... and then going further you don't even need a 3/4 ton diesel TV.

if you drive it a lot, far away from your home, or if your AS is your home then it worth it.

and if you try it and feel more comfortable with the HaHa and can afford it even for 50 miles a week end do it.

Going even further is an AS worth it? any SOB, for less money, will offer you a watertight roof with fridge, AC, shower, microwave or oven, range, hot water etc and be good enough to tow and does the job... does that put you away from an AS?
So why spend the extra money : because it offers something more. Like the HaHa.
And that "something more" require more expenses. Like if you want a car that goes 5 miles/hours faster than another one you may need to put 10 thou more on the table.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Woodruff
This is an interesting question for a couple of reasons. You'll never get an objective answer because the person who buys the orange haha will always tell you it is worth it. How could they tell you anything else? The psychological aspect won't let anyone that just spent over $3,000, on anything, tell you it isn't worth it.

Is it really worth it? Only the persons assigning the worth (i.e.-value) can determine that for themselves.

As many have posted, they each have assigned the worth/value of the orange haha to be higher than their previous hitch worth/value. However, I don't believe you will ever hear anything else from anyone who is past the 60 day money back guarantee.

Others will post that it isn't worth it. They will be the persons who haven't used it and would never part with that kind of money for a "hitch." Again, psychologically, they can't bring themselves to post anything else.

The real worth/value can only be measured by you.

Start with your performance expectations.

For example, NO sway when a truck passes, the wind blows or you make an evasive maneuver to miss something in the road.

Once you know that the hitch will allow that performance you can bring the price into the equation.

An expected performance (again, only you can determine this) divided by the price will give the worth/value of the hitch.

Holding performance constant, or equal, while dividing by a lower price will give you a HIGHER worth/value.

That's my take. If I've heard this question asked once, I've heard it asked 1,000 times.

Few rolling wheels to make our planet a house.

A 1/5th of her that I own.

TAC# : QC-1

my blog

https://rvcampreview.com
dufferin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 04:57 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
Quote:
many thanks to those who replied, i appreciate the thoughts and advice.

never drove this combo... opinion based on published numbers...

on paper, Q looks outmatched...
good- curb weight, wheelbase
bad- R20 wheels, 8900lb tow capacity, 1200lb tongue weight receiver, 28G tank

stay on top of the regular maintenance, and you should have at least 40k-50k miles of trouble-free life in that Q

i would submit that exceeding tongue weight is far more critical than exceeding 'tow capacity'
boondockdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 06:52 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1954 25' Cruiser
Kyle , The Republic of Texas
Whenever this discussion arises, why do I always log off with the impression that after all is said & done Sean's responses are tinged with the fact that he is selling a competing hitch?

In my towing experience, Dufferin has made the complete analysis & fair comparisons. But one factor I don't see mentioned is the safety of my loved ones in the TV with me. I take issue with the comment that a Hensley owner would be too embarrassed to admit he/she had overspent for an over hyped hitch. Personally, I value my loved ones far more than some ego problem. The Hensley does exactly what it says it will do. The rest is up to me.
Old 05-09-2008, 07:19 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitsend
Whenever this discussion arises, why do I always log off with the impression that after all is said & done Sean's responses are tinged with the fact that he is selling a competing hitch?

In my towing experience, Dufferin has made the complete analysis & fair comparisons. But one factor I don't see mentioned is the safety of my loved ones in the TV with me. I take issue with the comment that a Hensley owner would be too embarrassed to admit he/she had overspent for an over hyped hitch. Personally, I value my loved ones far more than some ego problem. The Hensley does exactly what it says it will do. The rest is up to me.
You get that feeling because Sean's comments are tinged with the fact that he is selling a competing hitch, when I purchased my Hensley had Sean been selling his hitch I would of sure looked at it real close in comparison to the Hensley. Competition if great.

About the only thing I haven't over paid for is the Hensley, I purchased a recondition unit and Hensley sent a newer one than the one I original thought I was getting.

I started to write a list of things I have overpaid for but I have other things to do today, I have to go work on a car I overpaid for. I tend to solve problems by throwing money at them my time is worth more than my money. I get a lot more done that way and make a lot of other people happy.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 07:26 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Clark
I started to write a list of things I have overpaid for but I have other things to do today, I have to go work on a car I overpaid for. I tend to solve problems by throwing money at them my time is worth more than my money. I get a lot more done that way and make a lot of other people happy.
well said
boondockdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 08:25 AM   #30
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Lets be fair here

Sean never says that the HAHA isn't worth it. He says that it is virtually impossible to get an unbiased answer.
Did he say
Quote:
You'll never get an objective answer because the person who buys the orange haha will always tell you it is worth it. How could they tell you anything else? The psychological aspect won't let anyone that just spent over $3,000, on anything, tell you it isn't worth it.
You bet, but then he says:
Quote:
Others will post that it isn't worth it. They will be the persons who haven't used it and would never part with that kind of money for a "hitch." Again, psychologically, they can't bring themselves to post anything else.

Further, he goes on to parse out what factors may apply to the weighing of the relative value of the hitch. Frankly, I think it is one of the best thought out and balanced treatments of the question I have seen to date.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 09:13 AM   #31
Islay - 63 O.

1963 26' Overlander
Montreal , -
Send a message via MSN to dufferin
Before I had it I thought and said it wouldn't worth it.
Since I have it I said it worth it under the conditions I explained sooner.

So which answer is biased? the one without knowledge or the one with?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray
Sean never says that the HAHA isn't worth it. He says that it is virtually impossible to get an unbiased answer.
Did he say You bet, but then he says: .

Further, he goes on to parse out what factors may apply to the weighing of the relative value of the hitch. Frankly, I think it is one of the best thought out and balanced treatments of the question I have seen to date.

Few rolling wheels to make our planet a house.

A 1/5th of her that I own.

TAC# : QC-1

my blog

https://rvcampreview.com
dufferin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 11:01 AM   #32
_

. , .
cosmetically the haha is the crappiest looking thing i've ever spent 3k on....

this has negligible effect on performance but is part of the 'value equation'...

but perhaps the only point on which some of us (users and non users) can agree is...

assigning dollar value or deciding IF we've gotten our dollars worth regarding THIS product...

is subjective and personal and a uniquely individual issue...

but applying our 'personal' determinations of dollar value for ANY product to OTHER PEOPLE or GROUPS of PEOPLE is a flawed effort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Clark
You get that feeling because Sean's comments are tinged with the fact that he is selling a competing hitch...
this was my initial thought too,

in general i find this commentary more reflective of the individual's perspective of customers than the actual customer base.

there is a lot of insight into how/why former customers are treated a given way written in/between these lines...

i find the commentary surrounding the '60 days distinction' especially interesting....

in is going to be something following these two enterprises, hawking the same gadget going forward....

beyond cosmetics, and some obvious DEFICIENCIES from either vendors chunk of iron...

the principles of sway control are identical but personal/company values may MARK the distinctions over time...

2 of my favorite posts on the 'value/worth issue are in this thread and porky says it best with the fewest words....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porky Pig
Expensive? Yes. Am I worth it? Absolutely!
but moe's post #9 is also a vivid mark of value.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...tch-19750.html

my on posts in that thread and THIS one are the end of any feeble efforts (by me) to dissect and convince others on the value issue....

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f368...tml#post274890

it's just not a very interesting subject and really messy to handle well.

BUT the thread was the motivation for the users guide and last post (in the thread above) marks the birthdate too...

because it's a LOT more interesting and useful to focus on the issues than the 'value' question....

ya either get it or ya don't, it's either worth it or it isn't...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dufferin
...So which answer is biased? the one without knowledge or the one with?
agree COMPLETELY but it's not so much bias as it is 'who's answer is more informed or useful'....

because IF u r curious about a given product or service it's VERY MUCH like deciding 2try sex...

and it's always best to ask someone who's paid for it....

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 11:22 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
1964 19' Globetrotter
1955 26' Cruiser Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman
because IF u r curious about a given product or service it's VERY MUCH like deciding 2try sex...

and it's always best to ask someone who's paid for it....

cheers
2air'
OMG - TOOO FUNNY!!!!
Maxwell the 1964 Globe Trotter
Name TBD the 1955 Overlander
WBCCI # 6155
AIR # 6155

2nd love - 2006 28' Safari LS
1st love - 2004 19' CCD Bambi
Bambi_Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 05:17 PM   #34
4 Rivet Member

2001 25' Safari
London , Ontario
Quote:
is the hensley really that much better than conventional friction wd hitches in terms of performance and handling?
Whether the Hensley is better than any particular conventional friction suppression hitch depends entirely on the particular setup. But one of reasons I chose the Hensley was because once it's installed and set up correctly, you don't need to think about it again (except for lubricating it once and a while). The Hensley is truly a "set it and forget it" solution. I also like the fact I don't have to mess with greasy spring bars when hitching/unhitching.

Quote:
is it really worth the $?
As has been said, its a personal choice, but an important statistic to take note of, is that for anyone willing to write the cheque to TRY the Hensley there's more than a 99.5% chance they can kiss their money goodby because they won't be sending it back.

All I know for sure is that thus far, my Hensley has been my best investment in RVing yet. I've already traded my trailer and will soon trade my TV, but the Hensley is here to stay. And yes, it was worth every penny to me.

Gary
Set-up by Can-Am RV
Garfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 06:20 PM   #35
ProPride Industries, Inc.
Commercial Member

Holly , MI
Quote:
Originally Posted by dufferin
???
and I guess anybody who sells something else will always come to say that the Hensley doesn't worth it. But may be the 3P is better because $500 less... I don't really get your point here.
I sold THOUSANDS of orange hahas and they are all worth it. But, as you stated above, if you can get the same performance for $600 LESS than the worth/value certainly IS higher. THAT is precisely my point. That said, I don't expect anyone to know that YET because myself and the man who invented both the orange and the 3P are the only two that have any perspective on the situation. The orange haha company will tell you they know about it but the is a bold faced lie. They are clueless when it comes to the 3P.

Hopefully that makes my point crystal clear.
Tu ne cede malis
Sean Woodruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 06:26 PM   #36
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
San Antonio , Texas
Three superb years with a Hensley says "you betcha." It works exactly as advertized, hitches up in about half the time compared to the old ball and friction bar, and the factory support is great.

I'm only now entering the A/S family, but I'm way past sold on the Hensley.

John W
Whizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 06:27 PM   #37
Commercial Member

Holly , MI
Quote:
Maybe that's because I AM? I am also the only person posting that has ANY experience selling THOUSANDS of the orange AND the new one.

Quote:
I don't think I was clear in my previous post because many of you haha owners have stated that I said you would be too embarassed to admit you overspent. I DO NOT BELIEVE THAT AND DID NOT SAY THAT. I said that if one keeps the hitch past the 60 days then, BY DECISION, they have determined it is worth it for them. Asking these haha owners if it is "worth it" isn't even a valid question. Of course it is, and that is what is ALWAYS written.

Also, spending that amount WAS the only option. (I had to state that just so you wouldn't log off with any other feeling than I AM selling a competing hitch)
Tu ne cede malis
Old 05-09-2008, 06:33 PM   #38
Commercial Member

Holly , MI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray
Did he say You bet, but then he says: .

Thanks Rodney, maybe I wasn't as far off base as I started thinking I was...
Tu ne cede malis
Old 05-09-2008, 06:44 PM   #39
Commercial Member

Holly , MI
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman
...but personal/company values may MARK the distinctions over time...
VERY insightful 2air'... and I eagerly look forward to marking these distinctions throughout the years to come.

I was fooled by many years of "talk" that orange values matched my values until one day I walked into the office and was slapped in the face out of the blue. That is the day that I realized my values were not even close to orange values so it'll be easy for you to recognize the distinctions between the two companies.
Tu ne cede malis