Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-29-2021, 09:25 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1962 26' Overlander
2016 28' Flying Cloud
Defiance , Missouri
2" Marvel Coupler Replacement

Folks,

I can use some advice on what to do about my original 2" Marvel coupler on my 1962 Overlander. It works but it is getting a little sticky, and I understand that repair kits for this coupler are no longer available. Does anyone know a repair kit that may work that is in stock somewhere, or should I just bite the bullet and replace it with a new 2 5/16" coupler?

How big a deal is it to replace the coupler, can I go to camping world and have them weld it on, or do I need to go to a specialty shop?

Thanks in advance!

Nick
62olander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 06:08 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Battle Ground , Washington
I replaced my coupler on my 58 Overlander. I went to a Bulldog coupler to get a few inches longer and heavier rating knowing I would increase weight from the original. Stayed with a 2" ball. Our tongues are shorter (front to back) than they do now and I wanted that length to make sure my tailgate could open while attached without having an extra long wd shank.

https://www.etrailer.com/A-Frame-Tra...3805W0317.html

I would suggest going to a welding shop or trailer repair. You want to make sure the coupler is attached "square" to the frame/axles so it tows straight.

Our thread:
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f97...er-172124.html
57Vintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 06:29 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1962 26' Overlander
2016 28' Flying Cloud
Defiance , Missouri
Thanks for all of the info! I found a local trailer repair shop that can do the welding, not very expensive. I ordered the bulldog coupler you used and a standard length one. My trailer already has an extended tounge to accommodate a storage box. Will decide which way to go when I go to the welder and fit everything up.

Nick
62olander is offline   Reply With Quote