Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-15-2009, 07:27 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1969 21' Globetrotter
Cambridge , Massachusetts
Best tow for older Globe Trotter or Safari - next question

Hi, It's me again. I'm no longer looking (see copy of original post below). Pending completion of paper work, I will soon be the proud owner of a 1969 Globe Trotter. I have gone off the idea of towing with a 4runner based on negitive information regarding hitch quality in response to my original post. Now, I'm thinking Explorer with 8 cylinder engine and tow package. What do you think of this as a tow vehicle? Reading elsewhere, I get the impression that there has been an uptick in the robustness of Expeditions for towing. Can any one tell me how old I can go and still gain the advantage of these improvements? Finally, How do I go about finding/verifying tow package information using the VIN. Can this be done on line?

My original post follows:

I'm about to retire and become a snowbird with a project. To this end, I'm looking to buy a '69 or early 70's Globe Trotter or Safari (Globe Trotter prefered). Right now I am looking at a good deal on a 1998 Toyota 4runner with six cylinder engine and two wheel drive that is rated to tow 5000 pounds. I expect that most of my driving will be on I95 and I10, never in snow and at economical speeds. As a rule, I will be traveling alone and traveling light. Will this vehicle be a responsible option for towing the above trailers? Is there a downside to two wheel drive for my purposes? If not the 4runner, what would be a good choice to tow one of these trailers.
JoePfznik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 07:39 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1967 20' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
I have a '67 globetrotter that I tow with an 8 cylinder Explorer, Tekonsha brake controller, and a wd hitch with a sway bar. The Explorer pulls my trailer easily and I've had no problem braking or accelerating. I don't know the weight and length difference between the '67's and '69's but those could make a difference in your experience.
tphillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 07:58 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
McHenry County , Illinois
I've pulled my GT with a 2000 Expedition for the last two seasons without any problems. Works much better than the E-150 I used before.
I don't think you can determine the equipment level, other than engines, from the VIN.
In 2003 they changed to a 3 valve per cylinder head with an increase in output.
For a more detailed discussion of tow packages and the other quirks of the Expy I spent some time on these Forums:
Expedition & Navigator - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums
Ford Expedition Forum - powered by vBulletin
Lots of good info put out there by the Gearheads. (Kind of like the AirHeads on this forum).

Good luck with your search,
Tom.

Tom Nugler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 08:43 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 Tacoma

We tow our '64 Safari with a 2006 Tacoma and it handles great. This is also my wifes daily driver, and I believe it gets about 20 mpg without the trailer. We don't have enough time towing to have checked the mileage with trailer but I would estimate 14 to 16 mpg. This is with the tow package. Otherwise it would not be enough truck, IMHO.
If you are using the tow vehicle as a daily driver it's something to consider.
Good luck, Rich
VIKING is offline   Reply With Quote