Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Floor Finishes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-08-2008, 03:44 PM   #121
1 Rivet Member

2004 25' Classic
Dardenne Prairie , Missouri
Classic 25 new flooring project-Part 3

The installation went well using the Konnecto flooring as you can see from the pictures below.

I started on the street-side of the trailer and moved to the center hallway, and then under the kitchen unit and the entryway. I ensured each strip remained parallel to the centerline marking on the subfloor.

I found that using the sheet plastic protectors between each strip worked very well to keep the over-edge glue from sticking to the next strip. I did pull one or two up and re-stick but was uncomfortable each time I did it.

All that remains is the installation of some quarter-round and trim pieces as needed.

Will keep all in the loop with the final installation and completion of the project as soon as my days off permit. This is a project anyone can do with some good help from here on the forum and a few basic tools.

I did find that 10% scrap overage was more than needed. In fact, my 25 ft. used only about 3 3/4 boxes. I believe RoadToaster used 5 boxes for his 28 ft.

Don..........
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00823.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	206.0 KB
ID:	57874   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00824.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	182.9 KB
ID:	57875  

Name:	DSC00828.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	163.0 KB
ID:	57876   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00830.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	168.0 KB
ID:	57877  

Silver Wings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 04:27 PM   #122
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
Your install looks really nice! What kind of temperature did you have for your installation work?

Malcolm
Old 04-10-2008, 04:53 AM   #123
1 Rivet Member

2004 25' Classic
The installation days were in the low 60's. I could not find any recommended temperature from Konnecto, I suspect too hot or too cold probably introduces their own problems. Hopefully, my installed flooring will hold up well. I really like the quality of the materials. I will say that the warmer the material, the easier it was to cut.

Don....
Old 04-12-2008, 12:31 PM   #124
Hypnotist

1982 28' Airstream 280
las vegas , Nevada
Floors

While I see most everyone on this thread is installing floors in trailers. I just installed Bamboo in my 280 Turbo deisel so I figured I would post some pics and thoughts on another flooring type.img057.jpgimg059.jpgimg060.jpgimg061.jpgimg063.jpg

I put carpet in the drivers area panel trim and the toliet area in the bathroom

When I first laid the bamboo flooring I put it long wise. What I found is that as the floor moves the pieces had a tendency to seperate slightly and cause gaps... So cursing I did it side to side.... There is more waste that way however the instalation in the rv went much smoother

The bamboo is from lowes and I used a premium underlayment a bit thicker and has almost a felt backing...

Before I laid any flooring I waterproofed and polyurathaned any exposed wood in the rv

I also replaced wood floor panels in the drivers area.....

Currently I am building a new false wall where the dinette used to be and building a new table as well ...

Justin
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	img057.jpg
Views:	435
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	58050   Click image for larger version

Name:	img059.jpg
Views:	427
Size:	116.8 KB
ID:	58051  

Name:	img060.jpg
Views:	435
Size:	137.0 KB
ID:	58052   Click image for larger version

Name:	img061.jpg
Views:	466
Size:	129.7 KB
ID:	58053  

Name:	img063.jpg
Views:	433
Size:	118.0 KB
ID:	58054  
jjhypnotist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 01:04 PM   #125
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Byhalia , Mississippi
Nice job Silver Wings. Looks great. Be sure and post again when completely finished. I'll be interested in your comments regarding any diffuculty in installling quarter round.
Old 05-08-2008, 01:23 PM   #126
1 Rivet Member

2004 25' Classic
Classic 25 new flooring project - Final

To all:

Sorry the final installment took a while for me to post. I did finish the project with help from the forums (Special thanks to RoadToaster). This project can be done by anyone with a little time and basic hand tools. Happy to answer any questions anyone has.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC00833.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	60106   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00834.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	60107  

Name:	DSC00835.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	60108   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00838.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	60109  

Name:	DSC00839.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	60110   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00840.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	60111  

Old 05-08-2008, 03:45 PM   #127
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Land Of Enchantment , New Mexico
Wow, great looking job, SW!! BTW, how much weight did the Konecto flooring add?
Bill
The trouble with trouble is it always starts out as fun...
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 06:16 AM   #128
1 Rivet Member

2004 25' Classic
I would guess about 30 pounds difference between the carpet and pad, and the flooring. Don't think we will ever go back to carpet.

Don.......
Old 05-09-2008, 01:48 PM   #129
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Land Of Enchantment , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Wings
I would guess about 30 pounds difference between the carpet and pad, and the flooring. Don't think we will ever go back to carpet.
Don.......
I can see why - the new flooring looks exceptional. We're debating the vinyl "wood plank" flooring and actual wood plank like konecto. Want to minimize weight there to have capacity for some other additions. Totally agree as to carpet, can't wait to change it all out.
The trouble with trouble is it always starts out as fun...
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 02:04 PM   #130
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Byhalia , Mississippi
SW, the quarter round looks good (as does the entire installation) Someone did a good job of matching!
Old 05-11-2008, 06:53 AM   #131
4 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
1961 26' Overlander
Harmony , Pennsylvania
That looks wonderful; light and clean. We however ended up buying carpet squares. I would have rather had the konecto, but we got the carpet for $1. per foot at a builder's surplus, and with me being in school, we thought it was best to save a bit of money now. Later we can change/upgrade if we decide to.
wannaroam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 01:07 PM   #132
4 Rivet Member

1976 24' Argosy 24
1999 30' Excella 1000
White Haven , Pennsylvania
Finding Center?

Getting ready to do the TM flooring in our 24ft. Argosy. Still going back and forth over whether to do it lenghtwise or side to side. One thing I can't seem to wrap my head around is how to get an acurate centerline mark. Or, if crosswise, how to get a line parallel. The center of the bath is not the center of the front living area. Any advice would be much apreciated. How does one get a good centerline? Thanks. George
Gkiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 08:16 PM   #133
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
Centerline...

Hi George,

First of all I think that it makes sense that a line for laying flooring should take into account the various objects that are visible so that the flooring looks straight with the other things you can see. Also, once your strips are in place it will be impossible to tell which ones were put in in what order. Furthermore the main reason for snapping a center line for laying flooring is so that the pieces on each side of a given area get trimmed about the same amount resulting in things looking even more centered.

Having said all that I suggest that you decide what part of the floor should be aligned the best for visual reasons. If that were the front living area for example then you could look for the center of the living area as far forward as possible in the trailer keeping in mind that the center should be the center of the visible floor and not necessisarily the width of the trailer. You then want to find some consistent point that you can measure from both in the front and further down your hallway. For example if there was a place in front and a place in back where you could measure from the bottom of the actual outer wall then that might be a good reference point.

You should then do one more thing. You should temporarily lay down some flooring pieces aligned with that line and out to the edges of your areas - or measure and mark where they would fall. What you want to know is if the line down the center should be aligned with the center of a strip of flooring or with the joint between flooring strips. You can get a clue as to which this should be by how much you have to trim the side pieces to fit. Ideally you want to have pieces at the sides that are as large as possible.

Relative to whether your floor should be layed cross-wise or length-wise ultimately boils down to your preference. You might temporily lay down some pieces both ways and see what it looks like. As a general flooring rule I believe that strips usually are layed lengthwise with the longer dimension of a room. I don't think there is any particular reason that you must lay all of the flooring in the same direction either by the way. If you do decide to lay your floor cross-wise the same general rules as mentioned above about centering things applies. Maybe you can find something in the front of your trailer that you can measure from. If your old flooring is entirely out you might be able to see a line in the subfloor plywood that you could measure from. They will be be straight across from side to side.

I hope the above helps. I do apologize if I made it sound too complicated. If what I am suggesting does not make enough sense then please ask for more detail.

Malcolm
Old 06-24-2008, 09:42 PM   #134
2 Rivet Member

2002 25' Safari
Long Beach , California
Just had it installed in our 87 25' Sovereign. Torn out the carpet (very hard to keep clean) to just the start of the beds. Flooring looks great. Will let you know how it holds after our trip to Yosemite. Bucky
Bucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 07:26 AM   #135
2 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Concord , North Carolina
I looked at over 20 different types of flooring before redoing mine last year and the only one that met all my requirements was cork. I wanted waterproof, quiet, warm, pretty, flexiable, easy to install, long life span. It did require some underlayment work before install but it seemed all I looked at did. My wife is happy with it and we all know if Momma ain't happy then nobody is.
solitairenc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 07:55 AM   #136
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
I looked at a ton of different floors and chose cork also. I'm finishing up the installation today. It's amazing how soft the floor is. I dropped a hammer on it and it didn't make a sound.

We used APC Cork planks. It has a top and bottom cork layer with HDF in between.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 07:26 AM   #137
4 Rivet Member

1963 24' Tradewind
Anderson / Sun City , Indiana / Arizona
TrafficMaster Allure "Cork"

I just finished installing TrafficMaster Allure vinyl plank flooring in a natural Cork finish. I ordered it from Home Depot, as it is not a stocked item.

It looks very real, and is a nice blend between a wood color an an original linoleum. An added benefit is that it feels like cork when you walk on it. An Airstream subfloor is not totally ridgid and the minor flex adds a deminsion a realism to the cork look.

I still need to install aluminum quarter round to finish the job. I will post pictures when I am finsished.

I am using brushed aluminum quarter round because that was very popular among Airstreamers in the 1960's. I found it at ACE Hardware (they had to order because it was not stocked in the store, but stocked in the ACE warehouse).

Mike Brumback
1963 Tradewind
Grand Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 11:08 AM   #138
4 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
1956 22' Caravanner
Mendon , Massachusetts
Send a message via AIM to muddy_hollow Send a message via Yahoo to muddy_hollow
part number?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand Master View Post
I just finished installing TrafficMaster Allure vinyl plank flooring in a natural Cork finish. I ordered it from Home Depot, as it is not a stocked item.

It looks very real, and is a nice blend between a wood color an an original linoleum. An added benefit is that it feels like cork when you walk on it. An Airstream subfloor is not totally ridgid and the minor flex adds a deminsion a realism to the cork look.

I still need to install aluminum quarter round to finish the job. I will post pictures when I am finsished.

I am using brushed aluminum quarter round because that was very popular among Airstreamers in the 1960's. I found it at ACE Hardware (they had to order because it was not stocked in the store, but stocked in the ACE warehouse).

Mike Brumback
1963 Tradewind
What is the part-number of the quarter round at ace?

muddy_hollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 09:18 PM   #139
4 Rivet Member

1963 24' Tradewind
Anderson / Sun City , Indiana / Arizona
ACE Hardware Aluminum cove molding

ACE's SKU number is: 5406418

It is described as anodized aluminum cove molding.

$16.99 / 8ft

Mike Brumback
1963 Tradewind
Grand Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 05:44 AM   #140
1 Rivet Member

2004 25' Classic
Follow up on new flooring installation

To all:

We just returned from five weeks on the road. Spent about :05 minutes cleaning the floor during the entire trip. Whatever floor you decide on, we can assure you that once you take out carpet you will never want it back. The Konnecto flooring is holding up very well so far.

Don.....