Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Floor Finishes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-21-2007, 05:11 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Byhalia , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannaroam
Gregg
That looks beautiful! Kudos to you, you did a great job.
I am happy that I posted something that you found of value.

We haven't gotten to the floor yet (still) - we're still not that far with renovations. I concede to being a bit disillusioned at this point. I have to depend on my hubby to work on it and he seems to have lost interest.
Interest in projects always comes and goes, especially large ones. Learn to look at the renovation as a lot of small projects. Finish one and you get some feeling of accomplishment, then move on to the next one. Try some of the work yourself. There are a lot of women on this Forum doing just that. This place is pretty helpful.

Thanks again.

Greg
Roadtoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 05:48 PM   #42
4 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
1956 22' Caravanner
Mendon , Massachusetts
Send a message via AIM to muddy_hollow Send a message via Yahoo to muddy_hollow
Traffic master

Cool stuff. HD carries it as traffic master and at $40 a pack, it's a real deal.

Like other posts, I like this stuff as it is water proof and if you need to peal it up it's not the most expensive material to replace.

The one concern I have is weight. Seems to be pretty heavy stuff compared to sheet vinyl.

Google the material from HD, I'm pretty sure it's the same stuff mentioned here. There was one issue with bubbles, or fish mouth, after the install.

D

muddy_hollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 07:46 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Byhalia , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by muddy_hollow
Cool stuff. HD carries it as traffic master and at $40 a pack, it's a real deal.

Like other posts, I like this stuff as it is water proof and if you need to peal it up it's not the most expensive material to replace.

The one concern I have is weight. Seems to be pretty heavy stuff compared to sheet vinyl.

Google the material from HD, I'm pretty sure it's the same stuff mentioned here. There was one issue with bubbles, or fish mouth, after the install.

D
I could not get a hit on the HD site. Not sure if they carry it anymore. Local HD stores in Memphis did not have anything similar. It is/was an HD brand (private label) and uses the same edge gluing process to lay it. Much less expensive if the box contains 22.5 square feet.
Old 08-21-2007, 08:00 PM   #44
Rivet Master

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
Roseville , California
Send a message via AIM to warbler5
Have you asked how Konecto will stand up to your dogs? Just stuff looks great, and I am looking for something like this for use in my home....and, perhaps the Airstream in the future....but, I need to keep those dog toenails in mind!

AIR #6287
TAC #CA-26
WBCCI #3933/4CU
Old 08-21-2007, 09:38 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Byhalia , Mississippi
No dogs to contend with but there is a 25 year residential warranty for wear. Not really sure what that means but I hope it means it will withstand the test of time. We are pretty good about not tracking trash into the AS so it should last a long time for us.

Greg
Old 08-22-2007, 05:15 AM   #46
4 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
1956 22' Caravanner
Mendon , Massachusetts
Send a message via AIM to muddy_hollow Send a message via Yahoo to muddy_hollow
Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptrvr
I could not get a hit on the HD site. Not sure if they carry it anymore. Local HD stores in Memphis did not have anything similar. It is/was an HD brand (private label) and uses the same edge gluing process to lay it. Much less expensive if the box contains 22.5 square feet.
HD does not carry the name brand, but their own stuff called traffic master. I looked on their site and did not get a hit but I know for a fact it is in the local store.

muddy_hollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 09:43 AM   #47
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
South Berwick , Maine
We put the Traffic Master in the (sob, sob,) last Airstream and I have to tell you it was still looking pristene when they towed it away after the fire and all the water used by the fire dept. With dirt, ash and soot everywhere, the floor would just wipe clean and there was hardly any swelling. This was least expensive laminate and only carried a 15 year warranty - translate that to 40 nights out a year and it should last several lifetimes. I will put a laminate floor in the new rig, but am using Dupont real touch because I have a box + leftover from a room in the house. It is also a floating click and snap floor that has the foam underlayment already attached. Just deciding now which direction to lay it.
peegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 12:53 PM   #48
2 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
AMARILLO , Texas
I just looked at the Traffic Master at HD. Did you get a chance to see how it performed in temp variation? Kind of a stupid question due to the fact there was a good deal of heat involved.
10brink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 02:34 PM   #49
Rivet Master

1992 34' Excella
Austin , Texas
Trafficmaster Allure

I just cut my carpet out from the door all the way to the divider between the kitchen and the bedroom and replaced it with the oak colored Trafficmaster flooring from HD. Two packs @ $40/each took care of it (with a couple of pieces left over for patches).

It went down easy, I like the way it looks, and I really like the superior way it responds over carpet to the effects of mean 'ol Mr Gravity on a glass of grape juice.

I'll post some pictures of it when I find my camera and some good batteries for it.
"Rancho Deluxe"
Crusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 02:45 PM   #50
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
South Berwick , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10brink
I just looked at the Traffic Master at HD. Did you get a chance to see how it performed in temp variation? Kind of a stupid question due to the fact there was a good deal of heat involved.
Without getting too technical, in the 4 years it was in service, travelling thousands of miles, winter here brings low temperatures in the -20'sF with interior highs when sealed up to well in the low 100'sF - looked as good as the day it went down with kids and dog. No cupping, swelling, cracking, separation, buckling. I was very satisfied and would use it again. It was what was on sale at HD that week. I think it was under $2 a ft. I installed mine lengthwise, front to back. Used the matching quarter round to finish the gap around the edges.
peegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 12:34 PM   #51
2 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
AMARILLO , Texas
H.D here only carries two colors, oak and cherry in the traffic master. They tell me they can't order any other color.(?) Both look far better than what I've peeled off the floor so far. Looks original and maybe would look nice in a chezzey office building. I'm going to find an outlet for the Konecto before I decide. Thanks.
Old 08-23-2007, 10:08 PM   #52
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
I was at my local HD today and it had Oak (light, like a golden oak), Cherry (dark reddish), and Hickory (dark brown) TrafficMaster Allure. Their web site lists a 4th type (forget what it is) but apparently my local HD does not carry it.
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 03:27 PM   #53
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Byhalia , Mississippi
As I said in an earlier post. I used some color matched caulk around edges that had an unacceptable gap. The caulk is made by Impressions (not Konnecto) and is supposed to darken within 72 hours of installation. Well, it didn't!!! If anyone else tries this, you will need to go to plan B as I did. Had HD colormatch their best latex paint to the floor. Painted the caulk and it looks great. Will it last? I have no idea, but I have enough paint to re-do it every week for the rest of my life if necessary. We bought a couple of rugs so we are ready to head to Santa Fe Friday.

Greg
Old 09-09-2007, 02:24 PM   #54
LookingThroughALens

1976 Argosy 24
Marietta , Georgia
We just finished installation and are quite pleased. We installed TrafficMaster flooring from Home Depot, Oak color. It took a few hours over two days. We will need to do some kind of moulding or caulk to cover some small gaps but haven't decided quite what we will use yet. This will be so much better than the low pile carpet that was in the trailer.

Click image for larger version

Name:	flooring3.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	44872Click image for larger version

Name:	flooring1.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	44870
Click image for larger version

Name:	flooring2.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	44871
aturner4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 10:29 AM   #55
2 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
AMARILLO , Texas
Looks great! I'm waiting to see how Greg's trip to Sante Fe was and how his floor held up.
Old 09-10-2007, 09:46 PM   #56
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Byhalia , Mississippi
After a 10 day trip, we are very pleased with the floor. No movement or humps from expansion or contraction (although temps in the trailer were between 70 and 90 so movement not likely). No scratching and very easy to clean. Only expansion we noticed is between seams, about the width of a playing card as previously posted. If the HD product does as well as this and you find an acceptable color, it is a bargain.

Greg
Old 09-10-2007, 09:49 PM   #57
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Byhalia , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by aturner4u
We just finished installation and are quite pleased. We installed TrafficMaster flooring from Home Depot, Oak color. It took a few hours over two days. We will need to do some kind of moulding or caulk to cover some small gaps but haven't decided quite what we will use yet. This will be so much better than the low pile carpet that was in the trailer.

I vote for the caulk as previously mentioned. Color matched paint made it blend. I'm guessing that finding color matched trim will be more difficult, but then again, it can be painted as well. Your floor looks great.

Greg
Old 09-11-2007, 06:56 AM   #58
Rivet Master

1992 34' Excella
Austin , Texas
Edge Trim

I looked around in the carpet section of HD and I found some oak transition moulding that I used when going from carpet to the vinyl and some prefinished quarter round trim at the other edges. The quarter round isn't a great color match to the vinyl but it looks good enough to me. There is also some smaller oak edging in the HD carpet section that might cover your gaps.
"Rancho Deluxe"
Old 09-12-2007, 07:17 AM   #59
Rivet Master

1992 34' Excella
Austin , Texas
TM Allure

Here's a picture of my TM Allure installation - the trim isn't quite finished because I ran out of material.

You can see the quarter round along the settee and kitchen counter and the carpet transition pieces are visible by the chair (with a bright reflection off of one edge).
"Rancho Deluxe"
Old 09-12-2007, 07:44 PM   #60
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Byhalia , Mississippi
Looks like a good match to me. Entire install looks great.

Greg