Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-02-2004, 06:14 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

Preference: Rear or Center Bath?

Which do you prefer, and your reason, please?
Thanks,
Dick
Navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2004, 06:38 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2001 30' Excella
Bedford , New Hampshire
Center bath

We have the center bath that is a walk through bath. The shower is on one side of the coach and the stool and sink on the other. There are pocket doors both into the rear bedroom and to the galley.

I prefer this set up because I and other members of my family are tall. We can use this area for dressing and the with the two pocket doors closed the bath area of the coach is large and easy to use.

I understand that the center bath is preferable also for the larger coaches because the wather and holding tanks are centrally located in the coach over the wheels.
Old 01-02-2004, 06:46 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Center Bath

The center bath works for several reasons.

The weight distribution is better in that both the gray and black water tanks are positioned closer to the axels.

The primary reason I like it is privacy. When two couples are sharing the unit, the bath door and the sliding bedroom door can both be closed, thereby creating a suite type of arrangement where all parties are afforded a certain amount of privacy.

Also, when it’s just the AB and me, if one or the other of us wants to get up early, or go to bed late, the rear bedroom affords a much higher degree if isolation, with the bath area acting as a buffer zone for noises arising from activity in the living area.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2004, 07:21 AM   #4
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Rear bath. Keeps the hallways wide open making more room for the coach that you spend most of your time in. Shower looks very cool being formed to the same shape as the rear curves of the body. In the most recent (3-5 years) Safari C has the fresh and grey tanks very near or over the axle. The grey is still in a reinforced area next to the rear axle.

So then there is the black tank on the Safari C . Since it is only 18 gals and a bit different than the grey and fresh tanks, I feel that the 155-200lbs it might carry is not enough to worry about.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2004, 08:01 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Just wondering. . .although I like the idea of better weight distribution from centrally located tanks, wouldn't the rear bath models be somewhat easier to work on if problems arise. Most of the threads on "water leaks" seem to always mention leaks around the "rear bath" area. With the bigger access panel on the rear, wouldn't there be more accessibility for solving problems?

Still new at this, so leaving lots of room for other opinions, for sure!
Thanks much.
(PS - I'm still removing old carpeting to see what's underneath and haven't gotten to the rear bath area yet.)
fritzs@usfamily.net
fritzs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2004, 08:25 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1986 32' Excella
vledder , drenthe
we have a rear bath
I would have prefered just a toilet and a small wasing basin at the side and a big dubbel bed an the rear
unfortunate the interior is in a too good shape to tear everything
out and remodel the entire interior

most camping grounds have exelent showers I don't realy need a shower or a bad in the caravan

Remco
remcolent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2004, 08:49 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64

One of the things that attracted me to Airstream and Argosy from the very beginning was the comfortable rear bath - - even in my 6.0 Metre Minuet. The center baths in all but a handful of the modern Airstreams is just too small for me to have an enjoyable RVing experience. I don't care for the communal baths of most campgrounds so must have a comfortable full bath in my RV, and my definite preference is for the rear bath. Even with the potential difficulties with rear bath equipped coaches, I am willing to deal with any issues that might arise - - I have already had a rear separation issue repaired on my Overlander, and wouldn't consider trading it for any other floor plan. As a Free Wheeler, the rear bath floor plan is ideal for me, but I can see where there would be some disadvantages for a family traveling with this floor plan.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2004, 08:49 AM   #8
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I really don't think it makes much difference on the location for service....I think either way you're gonna have to attack the underbelly skins.
Old 01-02-2004, 09:02 AM   #9
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Center bath

I have had both and I vote center bath.

I like the plan with shower on one side and the balance on the other with doors to close off the area as long as the toilet area has its own sliding door. This is an optional floorplan on the 28 and 30 footers and would be my choice.

The bath in my Classic 25 is unnecessarily small, though. It is the same as the non-wide body coaches. There is far more aisle space than is necessary. I wish that the bathroom had been about 2" wider; still leaving plenty of aisle space but giving a bit more elbow and dressing room. Even as it is, I still prefer the center bath by a wide margin.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2004, 10:39 AM   #10
qqq
4 Rivet Member

Thumbs down

I hate my rear bath...so unpractical , if you don't pull the shade down , you will end up in jail for indecent exposure

Hart
qqq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2004, 10:43 AM   #11
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
There is a difference between the older rear baths and the new units rear bath. I agree that I don't like the older units rear bath, but I like the one on the new Safari.

Also one thing I didn't care for on the center bath is that in particular in the Classic line, in most cases you need to go through the bathroom to get to the rear sleeping area.
Old 01-02-2004, 11:34 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

I like the idea of a rear bath as on my unit. It is a very large enclosed area with closet space inside the room, I can swing around and dress like a monkey without bouncing off the walls. The large rear window is great for...aeration. And the distance between toilet and gaucho affords a greater amount of percieved privacy. Mostly, I just like the spacious feel of the open uninterupted fusulage space allowed by this design.

darin
darin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 07:22 PM   #13

What was the first year for a center batroom? I am interested in a older Airstream 29 or shorter with center bathroom and not certain what years to focus on.

Any help, please!
azmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 07:55 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Welcome to the Forums azmo!

I know in the 70's they had both as options, but I think only on the longer 29' Ambassador & 31' Sovereign models...someone else may know better. Here's a link to the Airstream Corporate Site Trailer Weights List which makes reference to the differnt configurations...although it's not 100% complete, nor does it show plans.

You may want to check out the Vintage Archives to help you narrow down your search.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 08:16 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally posted by qqq
I hate my rear bath...so unpractical , if you don't pull the shade down , you will end up in jail for indecent exposure

Hart
...or some of us could end up in Playgirl magazine.

My vote is for the rear bathROOM. I prefer to hang my clothes in the closets rather than stuff toilets and showers in them.

bbb
biggerbadbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 09:47 PM   #16
Rivet Master

As you phrased the question, I prefer the center bath. But not so much for the center bath, but rather for the rear bedroom. Even in our 25' it gives us, in effect, two seperate "living" areas. I can go stretch out on the bed with my book while my wife has the entire couch to herself for the newspaper. She can watch a movie and I can take a nap.

The center bath itself on our 25' is not luxurious, but it does have some good points. I consider the shower to be quite roomy and user friendly. The bathroom counterspace with undercounter storage is a real plus, making one's morning ablutions as simple and convenient as at home. The toilet is ok, but the real shortfall is the bathroom floor itself: we had to cut a bathmat in half to fit, it is that small. I could dress in there, but only as an exercise in possibilites. As Pahaska points out, it is a real shame they have not chosen to use some of the extra 6" in the newer widebodies to provide a bit more room in there.

Mark
j54mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 11:41 PM   #17

That is exactly my thinking. That the B room would separate the two spaces. Being a Virgo I like to analyze …

Love your floor plan! I have been looking on Ebay and have never seen that lay out before! Glad to see it in a 25 foot model.

If only I could find that layout in a late 60's model I would be living large!

I am honestly amazed by the response in such a short time!

Thanks for the support
and
The search continues….
azmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 05:22 AM   #18
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
The first example I have seen was in a 77 Excella 500, 31 footer. I do not know of any 60's models that had a center bath. In the 70s the sovereigns were the only one I was aware of with it. Once you get to the 80s the floorplan options expanded and there are many lengths with the center bath.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 05:46 AM   #19
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
Had both

Nothing less than center bath.

Rear bath provides for traffic through your bedroom by others.

I prefer the little piece of solitary that thay the rear bed provides.

I look for two kinds of trailer when I am shopping, single axle or rear bed.

Smily
smily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 06:58 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Quote:
Ours only takes up 1/4 of the back and leaves the rest for the Double Bed.

Couple of reasons we like this set up...

1. It may not be a 30 ft A/S + luxery bath - but we are not full timers yet and probably spend a miniscule amount of our time in the bathroom

2. We don't have the luxery of having a seperate shower - but at least we have upgraded from a porta potti under the V-Berth - to us this will be heaven.

3. The sink is not overly huge - but it sure is nicer than slinging a bucket over the side of the boat to brush your teeth and wash your hair

4. We wake up to a panoramic view of our forest where we live - so depending on where her wheels will land over north america we are sort of hoping to wake up to some pretty spectacular views! (a toilet or bathtub is not exactly what we had in mind)

Structurly in the older models I would think the centre models would be better. Many of the ailments I hear and see on this forum are the rear baths.

Safety - step in showers are far more safer than stepping in and out of a tub. If it is a tub one wants - bring along one of those soft hot tubs fill er up and let the sun do the rest. (you can always sneak out there in the middle of the night.)

Don't have kids - but would hate them romping through my bedroom everytime to use the lou.

JMHO

SPK
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote