Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-29-2011, 03:43 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2005 19' Safari
2005 19' Safari
new iberia , Louisiana
Antennas

We have a 1977 overlander and would like to update the antenna to a wingard,is this a big project or does it have to be done professional ?Thanks
stream lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 09:41 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1977 31' Excella 500
West Sacramento , California
I just had a winegard installed on my 77 with mixed results. As you probably know, in 77 they still used the 300 ohm flat wire with twin cable leads that route into 1 or 2 receptacles with a 12V connection and a dipole plug for the 300ohm wire to go to the TV. My Excella also uses the TV antenna to get radio reception. In my installation, I opted against having the interior panels removed in order to run new coax to the TV cabinet below the front window as it was going to be costly. They used a 75-300ohm converter on the roof and at the end of the line leading from the dipole connector into the digital TV. The radio works fine but the digital TV signal is weak (30-40%) and that is with a booster from Radio Shack. I get 3-4 channels only. Without the booster I get 1 channel only. I've only tried reception at my house in Sacramento and will have to wait until I go camping to see if the weak signal is going to be permanent, in which case I will have to get the modern coax into the entertainment center somehow. Installing the antenna itself does not appear too difficult. If you plan to install new cable, that may take a professional unless you are lucky and the TV jack is in a place where you can fish the coax down to it from the ceiling. My TV cabinet is low to the ground and accommodates a 19 inch flat panel nicely. I would think that if your Overlander has the little TV counter on the roadside next to the refrigerator, you might be able to fish coax to the area nearer the ceiling and with a wall mount you wouldn't even see it.
4RXLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 04:56 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2005 19' Safari
2005 19' Safari
new iberia , Louisiana
Thanks for the information I will let my husband read this and maybe it will help. Sarah
stream lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 05:31 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2011 31' Classic
Nellysford , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougsale
I just had a winegard installed on my 77 with mixed results. As you probably know, in 77 they still used the 300 ohm flat wire with twin cable leads that route into 1 or 2 receptacles with a 12V connection and a dipole plug for the 300ohm wire to go to the TV. My Excella also uses the TV antenna to get radio reception. In my installation, I opted against having the interior panels removed in order to run new coax to the TV cabinet below the front window as it was going to be costly. They used a 75-300ohm converter on the roof and at the end of the line leading from the dipole connector into the digital TV. The radio works fine but the digital TV signal is weak (30-40%) and that is with a booster from Radio Shack. I get 3-4 channels only. Without the booster I get 1 channel only. I've only tried reception at my house in Sacramento and will have to wait until I go camping to see if the weak signal is going to be permanent, in which case I will have to get the modern coax into the entertainment center somehow. Installing the antenna itself does not appear too difficult. If you plan to install new cable, that may take a professional unless you are lucky and the TV jack is in a place where you can fish the coax down to it from the ceiling. My TV cabinet is low to the ground and accommodates a 19 inch flat panel nicely. I would think that if your Overlander has the little TV counter on the roadside next to the refrigerator, you might be able to fish coax to the area nearer the ceiling and with a wall mount you wouldn't even see it.
Doug,
Do you, or does anyone, know if the Wingard is connected to the radio in our '99 Excella? I can't seem to find anything in the docs about it.

Sent from my iPad using AIR Forums
TAC VA-18 | Life Mbr ACI 1927 - Spirit of Virginia Club | AIR 53869
Silver Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 06:09 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
On my 81 excella the antenna only works the radio. I know this because the radio works better with the antenna up. It is disconnected from the TV. The TV only works on cable or satellite. Sal.
TAC N.J. 17
WBCCI 24740
noreen&sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 07:14 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
On my 83 Excella the antenna works the radio and the TV. The TV must have a digital tuner, but the antenna works fine for HDTV. Without a HD tuner or converter box, the TV will only work on cable or satellite.
Old 03-30-2011, 07:33 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1977 31' Excella 500
West Sacramento , California
Gheuer:

I'm sorry but I do not know. My guess would be that if your trailer does not have a side mounted antenna, the roof mounted TV antenna must be used for the radio as well??
4RXLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 07:45 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
McHenry County , Illinois
Welcome to the Forums.
Last summer I replaced the remains of the OEM antenna with the Wingard Sensar (batwing) directional antenna.
I don’t think you’d need a pro install unless you’re afraid of damaging the roof with a misplaced foot or loosening up the interior skins and pulling wires.
The footprint of the antenna base is pretty big and should cover the original hole. The original on mine had been torn off and needed a patch, but that was a simple fix.
As for pulling new coax down that involved removing the light and trim from around the front vent, pulling down the center ceiling panel enough to reach the old twin lead, connecting up a fish tape and pulling the coax down to the antenna plate in the wall.
After that, I wired up the included amp and coax connector in place of the existing plug.
I also placed a small piece of aluminum trim under the inside crank and direction control knob as that didn’t quite cover the old opening.
There is another coax jack inside the amp/outlet plate you could use to feed the radio with an adapter. This of course involves even more panel removal and wire pulling. I ran the second line to the bedroom outlet as I’ve got a whip up front.
Get the Wingman addition. It makes a difference in signal strength on the fringe areas.
All I can think of for now.

Good luck.
Tom

Tom Nugler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 05:34 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2011 31' Classic
Nellysford , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougsale
Gheuer:

I'm sorry but I do not know. My guess would be that if your trailer does not have a side mounted antenna, the roof mounted TV antenna must be used for the radio as well??
Thanks, Doug, and we do have an external side-mounted radio antenna PLUS on laid down in front of the OEM radio in the upper cabinet above the couch. When we move that one around it seems to change the reception. Sure wish I could find some docs on radios and connections.

Sent from my iPad2 using AIR Forums
TAC VA-18 | Life Mbr ACI 1927 - Spirit of Virginia Club | AIR 53869
Silver Otter is offline   Reply With Quote