Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-29-2019, 10:21 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
1972 29' Ambassador
Las Vegas , Nevada
1972 Land Yacht Ambassador, where to begin!!!

Hello everyone, hoping i don't jinx myself, but tomorrow we will be the proud owners of a 1972 29' Land Yacht Embassador, and well, where the heck do we even begin!!!
Overall i don't think its in too bad a shape, but then i really don't know much.
Initial plans will be to turn it into a seperate living space, kinda of like a casita.
So main priorities are to get the AC working, replace the shaggadalic carpet, and overall clean up. Check for leaks and critters and thats about it; for now.
Of course any and all tips, comments and advice will be greatly appreciated. Oh and pictures will be coming soon. Well as soon as we take possession of it.
Thank you all for stopping by.
Swrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 11:44 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
1972 29' Ambassador
Las Vegas , Nevada
Talking

Ok then, now its real. Airstream is bought and we took it to our house; or what will soon become our house
Sooo were to even begin???
Ok a little background. We are in the process of building a new home and because of this we previously purchased a 2018 22' Sport which we have been using to live in and travel while the house is being constructed. But we've come to realize that this is a bit cramped given that we have three dogs. The opportunity came up to buy this trailer and we figured that we could park it at the lot and use it as an extended living space while we are there, thus helping out with the lack of space.
So the main objective for the new Land Yacht is to turn it into a big open living space. Think living/tv/bar area. (the bar part is important)
So how do we get there...
First thing will be to get rid of the butt ugly green shaggy carpet. Its gotta go.
Second, open up every drawer and cabinet and look for things that are bad; rot, leaks, critters...
Third, make sure that the trailer as a whole is a solid shelter from the elements, i.e. if it rains we don't get wet, if its windy we don't feel the drafts, things along those lines.
And that's about as far as I've come in the planning phase. The wife already has a general layout of what we would like to accomplish. But I would appreciate everyone's help on here as to how to accomplish what we need to get it fixed and livable.
I will be posting pictures of it as soon as i can get back to the lot tomorrow. For what it is i don't believe that its a bad trailer. It definitely shows its age, some dings, some dents, rotten insulation around windows, no AC, and i don't even know if any appliances work. Lights work, it has batteries, although i don't know where they are. There is a bathroom and the previous owner said that the previous owner told him that the tanks were good, but are there any leaks... won't know until i dig in.
It does have an electric jack, that works, i was surprised, but not so much when I heard certain pops coming from the body as my wife backed it in to its spot. So i am thinking that it might need some reinforcing somewhere on the body.
Well, like anyone who has done this before me knows, Holy Mother of God what have we gotten into!!!
Fun times to come, for sure. I will try and keep this post up to date with progress reports and pics, and I will be asking for help on things as they come up. Thankfully I've come to realize, from the vast amounts of time spent reading here, that this community is awesome, for all of the people that take the time to read and help out. Love being a part of this.
And if you are ever in Las Vegas let me know, if anything we can hang out and have some cold drinks!!!
P.S. I almost forgot, if someone out there knows, what freakin model trailer is this??? The person who sold it to us listed it as a Land Yacht, but the trailer has a plaque on it naming it International & Ambassador, I am so confused
Swrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 12:01 PM   #3
Vintage Only

1966 26' Overlander
Ramona , California
So now 10 weeks later how about an update and some photos? Without more details hard for anyone to try to provide any helpful info.
Old 10-11-2019, 12:05 PM   #4
Vintage Only

1966 26' Overlander
Ramona , California
I see OP started another post..
http://www.airforums.com/forums/show....php?p=2271777
This one should be closed.