Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-01-2016, 10:00 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

1968 30' Sovereign
New Richmond , Wisconsin
Thank you for the information! I'll start the hunt for those parts as we really like what you ended up doing for the shower curtain! We appreciate your time!
cheetah1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 08:22 AM   #22
3 Rivet Member

Great idea! Thanks! I will see what i can do. Lol! Your description of the original is spot on.
Old 08-16-2017, 03:28 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

Haha! I just asked you about this curtain rod replacement. Funny thing is, this is now the second time i've seen it! nice job! I'm just not sure i can do it. I was hoping there was a track i could attach to the ceiling. Do you know if they make them for t his year?
Thanks.
Debbie
Old 02-07-2018, 09:53 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Warner Robins , Georgia
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7182.JPG
Views:	126
Size:	284.5 KB
ID:	303710

This is how I ended up creating a shower curtain rod for our ‘64 Overlander.
2009 F-150 "Big Red"
Caroyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 02:03 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Kansas City , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by eubank View Post
Much nicer looking than the curtain rod that i built from a long piece of spare MGB brake line!

Lynn
Good to hear that British Leyland made something that you found useful. Too bad one can't say the same for their cars.

- Fond Former Owner of a '67 and a '77 MGB.
Slats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 06:39 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Oak Creek , Colorado
Very nice curtain rod & end cap.
Dingo Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 10:37 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
1968 24' Tradewind
Canoga Park , California
There's the shower curtain “thing”. It may be the most bizarre, scabbed on

Your post cracked me up….

Being highly dysfunctional the Mr. and I decided to put that piece back in our bathroom. Ours is in beautiful shape although I am now frightened of what lies beneath the surface now. We purchased a beautiful 68 almost camp ready and bought a wrap/circular curtain rod from Ikea to run the curtain but decided since this "thing" is in good shape we would attach it for a trip or two and see where we land. To be honest I have no idea how to screw a flush-mounted curtain rod into the ceiling and the thought of it not being perfectly curved gives me massive anxiety. Anyone with experience, I would love to hear about it.

As far as 1968's, this is my second and I love them, this one has a different seating style very open, not a separate bedroom per se. The storage is amazing the wood is beautiful I am a huge fan. I guess I should be pleased my husband is an electrician.

Thanks for the post, fantastic job on the curtain rod! When we are attacked by the shower door mold I will find you to make us your improved model.

Happy V day to on and all

The beauty,
I find the '67/68' bath to have excellent proportion, clarity, adequate storage, it's big and bright and easy to clean… It was genius to position the tub toward center so a six-footer like myself can stand tall and still have a few fingers of headroom. The toilet attaches to the under-floor black tank in a simple, conventional manner, none of the plumbing is hidden or captured inside walls, you can easily reach the supply side of all the fixtures. I'll never understand why Airstream changed it for 1969, there's been nothing like it since…

Then,
There's the shower curtain “thing”. It may be the most bizarre, scabbed on, dysfunctional, annoying piece of junk in Airstream's history. Who could even think up this Velcro and snaps, flapping accordion contraption?? The folding door/curtain, which is permanently affixed, is 16 square feet of potential festering petri dish. It's such a shabby design, I'd guess that few even exist today. When I discovered the hot seamed plastic/cardboard bacteria haven, I immediately drilled it off the bulkhead and tossed it out the door.

Why not a simple, conventional curtain rod??
In the last few years, I think that I've looked at every shower rod and every style of shower rod mounting hardware on our planet. I found nearly nothing that you can purchase off shelf, is neat and strong. There are different gimbal/hinge/collapsing/swing-away rod devices, but they cannot affix to the bulkhead and follow the tub's shape to terminate at the endcap. There are also curved rod solutions that don't follow the tub contour.

I'm not a fan of the earlier sixties style curtain ring channel that is riveted overhead to the endcap contour. It's action is bit awkward, and the unique curtain, which has to be cut and trimmed to its unusual shape, doesn't drape elegantly, or seal remarkably well vertically, so I didn't bother to pursue that avenue.

A fix that is not too invasive, fits the era, a reasonable expenditure of time and money, uncomplicated, and has simple, familiar function.

KISS Material List,
a few handfuls of fine masonry sand
two wine corks
two feet of electrical tape
ten feet of 301 stainless steel one inch Outside Diameter .049” wall tube, hacksawed at 43.5”--76.5”
one 60 degree degree boat-rail round base (fits to endcap)
one boat-rail “T” (rod support)
one 90 degree boat-rail base (fits to tub)
one boat-rail support (fits to bulkhead)
one boat-rail end support (fits to bulkhead)
one foot of 3M 30# VHB tape
seven SS screws

How it went,
I scribed the decreasing radius of the tub onto cardboard and used that as my bending gauge.
Filled the 76.5” tube with tamped sand, corked and taped its ends. An ordinary 3/4” conduit bender will contour the SS tube with ease, to perfectly match the tub's shape.

Boat-rail mounts come in a wide variety of angles and bolt patterns. A 60 degree round mount angles so perfectly against the end-cap, it's astounding! The other two mounts stand off the pocket-door bulkhead creating a towel bar. The endcap is fiberglass, so after drilling for the 60 degree mount, I buttered the holes with epoxy. As it set, I started Antiseized screws into the epoxied holes, the squeeze-out creates an epoxy grommet. Later, I removed screws, VHB taped the mount in place, and gently snugged the screws to the endcap. Doing this makes me feel that the rod mount will not cause stress to the fiberglass. I likewise VHB'd and screwed the mounts onto the bulkhead. The rod's height allows the curtain's top edge to be equal to the top edge of the original accordion thing.

Assessment,
With ordinary, sensible use, the rod alone with its triangulated points of attachment, suffices. I worried that if Godzilla, while merrily bathing, loses her balance and grabs the rod to break her fall, it may fail, so I added a 43.5” tall midway pole support that will not interfere with the '67/'68 “dressing seat” that hides the toilet.

Additional findings,
Turns out, I love having the pole there to assist take-off and landing on the can. “Hook” style roller curtain rings glide over the “T”. We use the pole as a Safety Bar enter/exiting the tub. Clothes Line, Towel Bar, Chinning Bar (it supports my 175# with ease), and Bike Rack (now I can join the fray of “how to carry bikes with Airstream”). It's inspired Pamela Anderson Stripper Pole poses, so entertainment has been added to its list of features...

Conclusion,
All told, this project was not difficult, multi-functions admirably, and cost less than a C-note…[/QUOTE]
TeamD is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1967, 1968