Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2004, 11:48 AM   #41
2 Rivet Member

1986 34' Limited
South Lake Tahoe , California
Thumbs up

"There have never been any reports of any "snow pile up" damage to any Airstream trailer.

Keep in mind the the trailer is semi-monocouqe construction.

It by leaps and bounds will take more snow weight than any SOB."

Andy is right. I live in Lake Tahoe; and there is an AS that has been sitting for several years here and has seen many heavy and deep snows (2-4') with no apparant damage. My '86 Limited 34'er has had up to a foot on it with no damage. We often camp in temps below 0 (outside) and the insulation keeps the inside in the upper thirties to low 40's with a small catalytic heater on low. This is far better than our other trailer (fiberglass package). Ernie
Ernie2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2004, 03:39 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2003 25' Safari
Kissimmee , Florida
If 4" is 1000 lbs, then 3 feet would be about 9000 lbs! I have often seen 3+ feet of snow on the roof of my summer home in northern Wisconsin. I can't imagine that an extra 9000 lbs would be good for axles. Yet another reason to store the Airstream indoors.
Old 01-22-2006, 04:04 PM   #43
prettytall

Tallville , California
on the topic of insulation.....has anyone tried the BIBS (blow in blanket system) in the walls, floors of their AS? also has anyone tried radiant floor heating in remodels (or new) trailers?
Old 01-22-2006, 11:17 PM   #44
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc
BTW I haven't noticed in everybody's factory tour pics, but are they using any type of thermal break between the ribs and the interior panels? And are the interior panels still aluminum?

Aaron
hi aaron

since this thread is 2 years old (someone/two seems to be digging up every winter post) no doubt this question has been answered. yes they are using a thermal break....but it is between the outer skin and ribs....and yes the interior panels are still auminum.

so i think the improved performance twink and other newer trailer owners' see is as a result of the thermal break and better pink stuff.

one issue not mentioned....with a load of snow topside, it isn't as easy to vent internal moisture....

cheers
2air'
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 07:50 PM   #45
1 Rivet Member

Okay, I've been around a long time but never post. I'm moving permanently to South Lake Tahoe with my '59 Traveller. I have room to park the trailer next to the house and I'm not worried about snow on top but I am worried about 4 months worth of snow 6-8 ft deep all around the trailer. Should I be thinking of storing at a lower elevation or what about a trailer capsule simialar to a car capsule (not a permanent structure) where you park the trailer inside and it's sealed from the outside. Something that's breathable of coarse but completely keeps the snow off the tongue, wheels, etc. Trying to think of a way to stop any possible damage down low.

Any thoughts?
turbocharger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 07:32 AM   #46
4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Excella 500
Detroit Area , Michigan
I'm wondering with a snow load of 2+ feet that I could have if it would be best to leave my corner downriggers down to support some of the weight off the axles or if it would be best to leave them up for the winter. Heck the axles ought to be able to take the weight considering that all the holding tanks will be empty (840 lbs right there) plus all the gear will be out of the trailer. My worry would be the roof.
wacnstac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 08:51 AM   #47
4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Excella 500
Detroit Area , Michigan
Check out the pictures at this link http://www.healthy-homes.com/trailers.htm and I think it will put your snow load worries to rest.
wacnstac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 04:36 PM   #48
Rivet Master

1967 20' Globetrotter
Sauquoit , New York
Are there more recent threads on SNOW LOAD on Airstream Trailers? It is snowing here. Should we try and remove? Thanks
Aria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 05:00 PM   #49
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aria
Are there more recent threads on SNOW LOAD on Airstream Trailers? It is snowing here. Should we try and remove? Thanks
There is no known shell or torsion axle failures due to a snow load.

There are many problems caused by melting snow, should the shell have leaks and the various gaskets allow water passage.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 10:14 PM   #50
Rivet Master

1967 20' Globetrotter
Sauquoit , New York
Should we try and remove the snow from our Airstream?
Old 02-02-2007, 10:41 PM   #51
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aria
Should we try and remove the snow from our Airstream?
It's not necessary.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 10:32 AM   #52
Rivet Master

1967 20' Globetrotter
Sauquoit , New York
Thanks
Old 02-03-2007, 11:09 AM   #53
Rivet Master

Some Place with a German Name , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Westfalia
Andy and Aria, I am less concerned with structural failure of the frame and suspension components and more concerned about the additional weight leading to a tire failure. I have a couple of feet on top of my Bambi, and even with the tire air pressure to maximum, there is noticible sidewall flex. I really need to get up and shovel more snow off of the top, if only to prevent ice dam problems when a melt does happen. The way things are going here, that won't be for a while. We have had over 10 feet of snow here this season and the snowy months haven't even started yet.
Westfalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 12:51 PM   #54
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
I believe an interesting question was overlooked concerning whether or not the outriggers should be left down with a heavy snow load? I normally set the AS up for the winter on an asphalt driveway, with the outriggers lightly set for stability. As the tires and axle flex under a snow load will the outriggers cause any unusual strain on the trailer body? I've never noticed any binding of the door that might indicate unusual flexing. I will say that, thanks to the trailer being located in the open, the wind normally keeps the snow from building up over a foot or so. Additionally, I broom the corners of the roof off, pulling with a push broom, during my snow removal routine for the driveway.

As as aside, I had a 22' Winnebago motorhome, with a flat roof, that I kept religiously free of snow when I stored it outside! One winter of that was enough and I thereafter found indoor storage! The local RV dealer in Bangor, Maine lost a substantial number of SOBs (---probably over 50 if my memory is correct---) back in the '90s due to snow loading and the resultant collapsed roofs.

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 02:13 PM   #55
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
SACRAMENTO , California
Hi Cracker, when we were vacationing at the Voyager RV Resort, in Tucson a couple of weeks ago, I couldn't believe how almost all of the permanent rv'ers at the park, after it snowed one night, was up on top of their sob's trying to push broom off the snow on their flat roofs..I think I'm glad we had the Safari..yes, the snow was on top, but because of the curved architecture, no consequence of snow flattening our tops!!!
codybear is offline   Reply With Quote