Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-02-2017, 04:05 PM   #1

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Jack failed to retract

Was all set to head out today and couldn't finish hitching up because the jack motor stopped before the I could get the coupler to sit on the ball. It went up fine but quit before it was down far enough. It's a super jack on my '04 Classic and has no backup crank possibility. I pulled the head and then put the head back on. It worked and I hitched up. I raised the hitch now attached to the ball to put on my equal-i-zer bars. Then I lowered the hitch to retract it so I could leave. Problem was that the motor stopped at a point where the jack was till touching the ground. Pulled the top again but for some reason the jack thinks it is at the stop point and it's probably a foot off of really being retracted.

I called the dealership and everyone is gone for the day but the parts guy said it sounded like the jack has lost it's synchronization, and thinks that it is retracted but is not. Unfortunately he says he doesn't know how to resync those old jacks.

My trip is canceled at this point so before I pull the jack completely off, does anyone know how to synchronize these jacks? Or is the jack probably defective and can't be synchronized. I see nothing in my manual on resynchronizing a super jack. It is interesting that he told me to pose the question on Airforums!

I know there was a procedure to sync a Super Jack back in 2003 (I posted the solution), but that was one that came with a backup crank. This one doesn't so I'm assuming the procedure may be different.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 04:11 PM   #2
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
My Super Jack has a crank. You have to take the cover off to use it.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 04:19 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
I think there is a synchronizing procedure for Barker jacks on their website. I used to have it, but that must have been on my old computer. Can't find it now, sorry.
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 04:33 PM   #4

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimiandrews View Post
I think there is a synchronizing procedure for Barker jacks on their website. I used to have it, but that must have been on my old computer. Can't find it now, sorry.
Well I dug through some stuff and I think I found a tool and a label on the jack. it says, operate the jack into the down position until it stops. It further says take the head off the jack and insert the tool and crank the jack counter clockwise (retracting the post) until it stops. Then it says turn the handle one crank clockwise and reinsert the head back onto the jack making sure the head engages the pin from the motor.

Not quite sure how a jack gets out of sync unless we have some gear wear. I'll try this tomorrow and see it this gets things working. Somehow I think that if the jack gets out of sync without the top being taken off, then you may have another problem going on and doing a resync may be just a band-aid for a problem. I'd hate for this to happen on the road. It was bad enough to happen at home which led me to cancel my outing but having a total failure on the road would be a real problem.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 06-03-2017, 11:41 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2010 16' International
Edwards , Colorado
I recently had a similar problem with my 2010 16 ft. International with a Barker jack. I called Barker in Ohio and a very friendly service rep suggested it was a faulty toggle switch. He sent me a new one which was easy to install and the jack now works flawlessly.
Old 06-03-2017, 11:44 AM   #6
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Here is the procedure:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	408.6 KB
ID:	286793  
Old 06-03-2017, 12:01 PM   #7

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudE View Post
I recently had a similar problem with my 2010 16 ft. International with a Barker jack. I called Barker in Ohio and a very friendly service rep suggested it was a faulty toggle switch. He sent me a new one which was easy to install and the jack now works flawlessly.
Thanks for the info. I have up and down power, it's just a matter of the power going off at the same spot as the hitch jack retracts. I can't retract enough to get the hitch mounted to the ball. My dealer thinks that resynchronizing the jack will fix the problem. I have to try that yet. I'm not sure how a faulty switch would be the culprit. I would think that if it was so, the jack wouldn't stop in the same place when retracting. I'll give a call to Barker Monday even if the resync works since I want an answer that explains what happened. My guess is after 14 years the gears might be showing signs of wear. If it is slipping occasionally, I could see how sync might get loss.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 06-03-2017, 12:51 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera View Post
................I know there was a procedure to sync a Super Jack back in 2003 (I posted the solution), but that was one that came with a backup crank. This one doesn't so I'm assuming the procedure may be different.

Jack
Jack I'm not sure this will work for your model year as ours is a 2014, but it may be a similar process and require some intuitive thinking.

Here ya go.

Good Luck!

Bob

p.s if there isn't enough resolution with this image let me know and I'll snap a higher res jpeg and forward via email. Just PM me.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Barker timing sequence.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	216.0 KB
ID:	286801  
CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 05:29 PM   #9

Fenton , Missouri
Thanks. I found a sticker on the jack stand and the procedures are a little different over the years. This is mine for the SuperJack that was installed when my trailer was built in the fall of 2003.

Jack
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0708.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	267.3 KB
ID:	286815  
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 06-04-2017, 08:14 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Raceland , Louisiana
I had the same problem with jack not going down. I was thinking I would replace the switch also. But I unscrewed the rubber booth on the front of switch sprayed a little electronic contact cleaner in there and it started working fine. It's been a few months and still working great.
slabatFB25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 05:07 PM   #11

Fenton , Missouri
Just to close the ends of this thread, I finally had time to go back and look at things. I did the resync of the jack. In my case it was finding the jack crank tool which I had stored away and out of sight in the trailer. After popping off the top of the jack head cover (4 screws) I was able to pry up the gear and motor platform off the top of the jack. I inserted the crank and turned clockwise which retracted the jack stand. At the point that the stand stopped cranking, I turned the crank back one turn counter clockwise. I reinstalled the gear and motor platform making sure the gear motor assembly was mated properly and engaging the crank assembly. While at it I applied some fresh white grease to the gears. I popped the cover back and and put the 4 screws back into the cover. Note that cover being screwed in tightly is important since it holds the entire gear assembly tightly together and mated into the crank shaft.

Every thing is now operating properly as best I can see. The jack is retracting so all is well. I did go up and down many times so we will see how it goes. I'm still uncomfortable about how we got out of sync so I'll be watching carefully the retraction function. I might even paint a small white line when the jack is fully retracted at the top of the tube. If that line starts to get lower over time, it may mean that we've got some type of slippage going on.

Thanks to everyone for the help and advice.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 06-08-2017, 05:38 PM   #12
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Thanks for posting your result.

>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 06-10-2017, 09:44 AM   #13

Fenton , Missouri
Well I thought all was okay. Went to hitch up to take the trailer back to storage and the motor again shut down before I got hitched on the ball. Apparently I lost sync again. Opened things back up and synced it back up again. Then I when trying things out, I popped a 12 volt circuit breaker. Found one of the wires got caught in a gear. Fixed that, synced again, test. Got hitched up and got back to my indoor storage. Went to lift the trailer off the ball and this time motor quits while raising. Had to use the bottle jack to get the hitch off the bottle. I'm at this point totally frustrated. I'm I a victim of gear slippage? Gears look ok and are meshed. I just don't know why I'm losing sync.

Toss around taking the trailer back to the dealer in hope that they can fix the problem. Question lies in whether repairing a 14 year old jack is a wise expenditure of dollars when labor is about $110 an hour, or just buy a new hitch jack and do it myself. There are exact match Superjacks available for $379 on the Internet. What's Airsteam using today and will it fit with enough clearance for the bottle cover? I'm thinking a higher weight rated hitch jack may be worth my while. Issue with any hitch jack is the tight clearance caused by bottle cover.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 06-10-2017, 10:10 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
One possible variable to consider is that the jack's electrical circuit finds its negative ground through the bottom mounting plate and bolts, to the trailer's chassis.

Probably not relevant but good to keep in mind in case the inconsistencies are related to an incomplete electrical circuit at random times.

I would get a new jack FWIW.

Cheers,

Peter

PS -- Jack did you ever get that Yamaha generator going on natural gas at the house?
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 10:12 AM   #15
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Jack,

Sorry to hear the "Jack" isn't cooperating. I'm not sure what is happening but we both have heavy tongue weight rigs and I use my jack to raise it up to set the bars so it gets a work out. A couple of years ago my original jack gave it up and I was not impressed with some of its features and benefits.

I installed a Husky and was sold on the ball screw design. 3 bolts, 1 wire all done. While it is not the original style I know virtually nothing about its inner workings because its just done its job, quieter and ever time so far.

Good luck,

Gary
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 01:58 PM   #16

Fenton , Missouri
Gary, did the Husky mount without interference from the propane cover?
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 06-10-2017, 03:11 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera View Post
Toss around taking the trailer back to the dealer in hope that they can fix the problem. Question lies in whether repairing a 14 year old jack is a wise expenditure of dollars when labor is about $110 an hour, or just buy a new hitch jack and do it myself.
Let the dealer mess with it? No. You'll still have a 14 yr old jack and they'll just charge you for what you've already done.
I went on Amazon and found many, many jacks including a 5000# for $265. They all seem to share the same three hole pattern.

https://www.amazon.com/Husky-82022-E...ic+tongue+jack
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 04:10 PM   #18
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Jack,

I have 5/16" or so between tank cover and power head. No mod's to install the Husky. The only mod req'd on my setup was for the Sandlapper flag pole mount, it needed to be spaced out for poles to clear the power head.

I just took some pic's is you'd like to see, PM me an email or cell and I'll send to you. Can't post pic's on AF.

Gary
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 05:43 PM   #19

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCinSC2 View Post
Jack,

I have 5/16" or so between tank cover and power head. No mod's to install the Husky. The only mod req'd on my setup was for the Sandlapper flag pole mount, it needed to be spaced out for poles to clear the power head.

I just took some pic's is you'd like to see, PM me an email or cell and I'll send to you. Can't post pic's on AF.

Gary
Gary, I sent you my email address. I've heard that the newer trailers have the tanks set back a little more than the older trailers. My trailer is stored about 35 miles south of here so I don't have the exact measurements. I'll check the size of the H&H SuperJack. I know I have about half an inch or so between the back of that jack and the cover.

Supposedly I also heard that Airstream is now using Atwood jacks. Not so sure if that is true or the model number of those jacks. If I do the replacement I'll probably go with something that has a minimum of 4,000 lbs rather than the 3,500 I have now. I've got a hitch weight of around 1,300 lbs with full propane tanks and I do have to lift the rear of my van to be able to slide the bars on my Equal-i-zer hitch on. Depending upon terrain, there can be a lot of stress on that jack when I have to do that lift.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 06-10-2017, 05:53 PM   #20

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
Let the dealer mess with it? No. You'll still have a 14 yr old jack and they'll just charge you for what you've already done.
I went on Amazon and found many, many jacks including a 5000# for $265. They all seem to share the same three hole pattern.

https://www.amazon.com/Husky-82022-E...ic+tongue+jack
Interesting. I noticed that this jack draws 25 amps max. I wonder what my power converter 12 volt circuit breakers are rated for? I'll have to do some research.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15