Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-28-2014, 08:59 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
aviila beach , California
Corrosion Question

We just purchased a new 2014 International, upon arriving home (obviously too excited at the dealership to really check it out), we noticed that the frame, particularly the stabilizer jacks and some of the wire connections that attach to the exterior frame were pretty corroded; looks like they came off a unit ten years old or more. Is this normal?

Secondary question and totally unrelated. I work on computers virtually all day, but don't in any way count my self as a computer wiz. I'm new to these forums, but does anyone else find this less than intuitive? I would like to get involved in some up-to-date discussion, however found some information very old and outdated. How does one search for new and interesting information...

Thanks,
Moondoggie...
Moondoggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 09:07 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Reed Point , Montana
Hi Moon.......

Their are (pages) of information regarding corrosion "ad nauseum" : http://www.airforums.com/forums/f142...31743-135.html

All quite recent.......

P.S. Welcome to Airstreaming.......half the fun is maintaining the beast.
Bigskyrider8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 09:47 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
This corrosion probably means the trailer was exposed to a salty environment, such as when it was delivered to the dealer over salted winter roads, and was not thoroughly cleaned by the dealer when it arrived. What is the manufacture date?

Another possibility is exposure to the salt air near the coast, but not likely the dealer took it there.

Nonetheless get plenty of a corrosion treatment product, Boeshield T-9 is a good one for the underbody, and spray the underbody steel generously to stop the corrosion, and continue to use it in the future when it wears or washes off.

The aluminum shell exposed edges, rivets (actually the holes under the rivets), and exterior fittings such as light housings and hinges need ongoing protection as well. CorrosionX is a good product, maybe the best, for the shell.

The above-mentioned thread on corrosion will provide many good tips on caring for the trailer exterior.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 05:34 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Take it back to the dealer for warranty work. Make a list. Do not go with an attitude, be nice. If not satisfied, then get an attitude. You seem to be handling this well. I would call the dealer, if this is not satisfactory then call Jackson center. Enjoy the trailer. Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 05:57 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Last year I noticed the same thing on a our 1 yr old trailer that really had not been used in its first year. The original owner did buy it at Colonial so there was some ocean air exposure while it sat on their lot, none after that. I sprayed everything with Boeshield and it has been fine since.
larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 08:48 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
aviila beach , California
Thanks, guess I'll just have to get out the ol' wire brush, some steel wool and Boeshield
Moondoggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 10:10 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
No wire brush or steel wool, unless you want to repaint it. The Boeshield applied from time to time, or as needed should neutralize the corrosion and protect the metal.

Or is this really, really bad corrosion? Hard to imagine.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote