Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-15-2011, 03:49 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Fantastic fan issues

Our Fantastic Fan is having an issue: the lid motor no longer is able to open it. The motor is running but just no longer seems to have the power to raise the vent lid. It gives up after a couple seconds of no movement, and you can see the lid start to move.

This happened a week or two ago, and I took it apart and opened the vent lid manually, then put it all back together and it worked fine through several open/close cycles. When I tried it again today, the same problem happened. The vent does not have a manual knob - I had to remove the motor, thread a bolt into the vent lid mechanism, and open it that way. I'm guessing the open/close motor is dying.

I know I can probably get the motor from Fantastic Vent. But it has a couple other issues: the plastic is broken in several places; the screen has holes; and some of the threads for the screen screws are stripped. At some point you start to wonder whether repairing it is worth it. Further, the fan has one of those plastic covers over it (MaxxAir I think), which I don't like that much. We're considering just spending the money on a new Fantastic Fan with a rain sensor and remote control.

They also have the upgrade kits. I realize this option wouldn't remove the cover, but it's a heckuva lot cheaper for several reasons, especially since I could do it myself and not worry about getting the seal right. Has anyone done this?

I'm assuming removing the MaxxAir cover would involve breaking a seal and having to reseal a spot on the roof. Is that correct?

There is another possibility; namely the lid mechanism itself is binding. But I was able to open it fine using the bolt and a screwdriver...I don't think this is the case.

Thanks in advance!

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 04:22 PM   #2
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I bet if you call them with the various issues they will just send you a new one. Their customer service is actually better than LL Bean.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 04:49 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
I agree with Frank...talk to Fantastic Vent customer service before you spend any money on your own. They have a great reputation for replacing and/or repairing their product. I've done it and so have many others here.

By the way, I agree with your assessment of what's happened...the life motor has been stripped. That's what happened to ours. Usually caused by the lid getting stuck to the rubber gasket, then the motor working to try to get it to open. When I called, I didn't even have to ask...they just sent the new parts. If you have trouble installing they will talk you through it as well.

If you do decide to do an upgrade, you will be pleased with those new features. They are a great vent, and there's nothing quite as comforting as knowing that your vent is going to close by itself if it starts to rain, especially if you are not there!

Fantastic Vent actually does not recommend using those vent hoods... they claim it prevents proper opening and air flow. (If you do have those, there is actually no need for the rain sensor because the hood supposedly keeps the rain out.)
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 08:07 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Thanks for the advice, guys. I've always heard their customer support is very good. I've also heard the newer ones have clips to hold the screens in rather than screws, so perhaps I can use that instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBRich View Post
Fantastic Vent actually does not recommend using those vent hoods... they claim it prevents proper opening and air flow. (If you do have those, there is actually no need for the rain sensor because the hood supposedly keeps the rain out.)
I know. I'd rather just have the fan with a rain sensor (this one does not have that). We just bought the trailer in June and it came with those hoods on both fans. The front fan isn't a Fantastic Fan; it's a light/fan combo, so there the hood doesn't bother me as much.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote