Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Windows & Screens
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-25-2011, 12:38 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' International
Boulder , Colorado
Window repair/adjustment?

2012 27FB International. Side window would not stay in the first (smallest) open position, which upon inspection is due to loose rivets on the bottom of the black plastic three position arm support on one side. Upon further inspection it appears that the aluminum "J" hinge at the top has more 'slop' in it than on the other windows. Can the "J" hinge be adjusted? What rivets do I need to re-rivet the arm supports? Any ideas as to why this happened? Unusual or common problem? We are living in it for the winter, so leaving it at a dealer is not a great option right now even though it is brand new and under warranty. Any help/advice will be very much appreciated.
motozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 12:43 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by motozen View Post
2012 27FB International. Side window would not stay in the first (smallest) open position, which upon inspection is due to loose rivets on the bottom of the black plastic three position arm support on one side. Upon further inspection it appears that the aluminum "J" hinge at the top has more 'slop' in it than on the other windows. Can the "J" hinge be adjusted? What rivets do I need to re-rivet the arm supports? Any ideas as to why this happened? Unusual or common problem? We are living in it for the winter, so leaving it at a dealer is not a great option right now even though it is brand new and under warranty. Any help/advice will be very much appreciated.
You can use 1/8 pop rivets for the window position guides.

The rivet length should be 3/8 or 1/2 inch.

The window hinges are "NOT" adjustable.

They all have some "slop".

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 12:46 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I would get some silver duct tape and seal the window with that till you can get it fixed.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 12:56 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' International
Boulder , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
I would get some silver duct tape and seal the window with that till you can get it fixed.

Perry

The window is perfectly operational, stays open on the two upper slots, and closes just fine. I just need to re-rivet the support and know whether I can adjust the upper "J" hinge. Perhaps I wasn't clear on that, but thanks anyway.
Old 12-25-2011, 05:35 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' International
Boulder , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
You can use 1/8 pop rivets for the window position guides.

The rivet length should be 3/8 or 1/2 inch.

The window hinges are "NOT" adjustable.

They all have some "slop".

Andy
Thanks, that's the info that I needed. Since two of the rivets are loose, but still attached, any idea what size drill bit to use to get the loose ones out (I assume 1/8")?
Old 12-25-2011, 06:35 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by motozen View Post
Thanks, that's the info that I needed. Since two of the rivets are loose, but still attached, any idea what size drill bit to use to get the loose ones out (I assume 1/8")?
A # 30 drill bit is recommended for all 1/8 inch pop rivets.

A 1/8 drill bit, will not allow enough clearance for a new rivet, since the hole will not be exactly round.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 09:05 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' International
Boulder , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
A # 30 drill bit is recommended for all 1/8 inch pop rivets.

A 1/8 drill bit, will not allow enough clearance for a new rivet, since the hole will not be exactly round.

Andy
Thanks Andy!