Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Windows & Screens
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-19-2007, 06:43 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
1977 Vista View

I see from reading past threads/posts that the vista windows where done in a few different ways. I am thinking about tackling my leaky foggy ones. Does any one know what years where the same as my 1977/31? This would help me look for existing info on past posts. Any info specifically related to the 1977 Vista windows would be appreciated. Do I need to go from the outside or can it be approached from inside?
Phil Gobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 06:50 AM   #2
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Gobie
I see from reading past threads/posts that the vista windows where done in a few different ways. I am thinking about tackling my leaky foggy ones. Does any one know what years where the same as my 1977/31? This would help me look for existing info on past posts. Any info specifically related to the 1977 Vista windows would be appreciated. Do I need to go from the outside or can it be approached from inside?
Phil,
The 77 are very similar to the 1975 ones. You have to break the inner pane to get to them. I have heard, but never seen it done, that you can take the entire assembly off the trailer, drill our the rivets holding it together, disassemble, clean and reassemble. I have an old one that I may try that on...one of these days. You can purchase new single pane ones from the factory via an Airstream Dealer. Expect to pay somewhere in the $250 range.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 10:05 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Thanks, Do you know if you remove the rivets and extract the entire window if they are prone to braking? Any suggestions as to weather it is better to break the inside or remove the window from the outside?
Old 01-19-2007, 10:24 AM   #4
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Gobie
Thanks, Do you know if you remove the rivets and extract the entire window if they are prone to braking? Any suggestions as to weather it is better to break the inside or remove the window from the outside?
Removing the window as a whole shouldn't break it unless there are already issues with it. Breaking out the interior pane has its risks. I used a spring loaded center punch, and taped the inner glass. Went great on 2 of the 3, but for some reason I managed to break the outer pane on the third one...$$$ mistake (that is how I know how much they cost ) As far as removing it from the outside you are going to be removing an entire unit. It has the frame and both panes of glass contained in it. Then you still have to decide the best way to get the window apart to clean the crap from in between the panes. There might be pictures in my photo album, if not remind me and I will post the ones I took when I did mine a year or so ago.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Old 01-19-2007, 10:29 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
I don't see the pics if you get a chance to post or send them that would be great. Thanks Phil
Old 01-19-2007, 06:12 PM   #6
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Phil,
Pictures are posted. These aren't the good ones, they must be on the home computer, but at least you get the idea.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Old 01-20-2007, 08:43 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Thanks for the pictures! Can you tell me if I need to disasemble any thing on the inside to remove the windows from the outside after the rivets are cut? Phil
Old 01-20-2007, 12:13 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
Glass shop with the right tools.

I met a guy a couple of summers ago who had a 77 like our Buttercup. Overlander 27.

We were discussing the vista views and he told me that he had taken the windows out all together and taken them to a glass shop where they have the tool to take them apart. He de-rivited them and took the entire window assembly without breaking glass.

The glass shop was able to take them apart, clean them up, then re-assemble them for him to rivet back in place.

He didn't live near me so he recommended that I call around and ask the shops if they have the right tools.

Hope this helps.
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 02:27 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Thanks buttercup that sounds like the way to go. I will inquire and see if I can find a glass shop to help me. I guess I will have to take one out to let them see it? I wonder If anyone knows where I could buy a complete removed window from a 1977 or a year that matches. I don't like the thought of removing it without a firm plan for replacement or repairs.