Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Windows & Screens
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-31-2009, 12:26 PM   #1

1967 24' Tradewind
Poughkeepsie , New York
1967 window replacement...Help!

OK, got my newly acquired 67 tradewind roadworthy after a year (4 new electric brakes, wheelbearings, tires,taillights....) & past inspection thanks to help from the Camper Barn in Kingston,NY. Wife not happy with the bill, but at least now we can tow it without anybody getting hurt or arrested.
The guy I bought it from had sitting in his backyard for a good 10+ years. Just got rid of the old window AC unit that was sticking out of the big curbside window opening, Boy was that ugly!
So now I have this big hole to fill plus a broken rear window to replace. Vintage Trailer supply is out of the replacement tempered glass, so for now I'm using 1/8" plexi. Question is- is there a trick for opening up the channel to remove the old bits of glass from the aluminium strip that holds the frameless glass at the top of the window? It's hinged to the top frame and seems to be attached with 7 rivits? Is this strip one piece or does it come apart to install new glass? Seems like I should remove it by drilling out rivits to work on it. Also Need info re rivit tools, replacement rivits, etc. I'm totally new to this but realize i'm on the first steps of a long journey, with many rivits to go. Planning eventually on a total gut rehab. (Would like to install rear double bed and move bathroom to midship. Am I nuts?) I 'm sure some of you out there have dealt with this operation and might be so kind to pass along your hard earned wisdom to a neophite vintage Airstream dreamer. Will it ever stop raining.......
stephenarons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 12:48 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1960 24' Tradewind
Riverside , United States
Two different attachment mechanisms were used on the 66-67-68 windows, one the hinge was fixed, removable for replacement, the second the hinge was not removable but would come apart (maybe) to allow replacement. The first hinge you'd need to clean the track, I use a 9/64" jobber length drill, run it back and forth to open/clean out the track, GE clear silicone in the track then insert the glass, close and let sit for a day. The second hinge if you can seperate it you can simply clean then put a good double face tape on both sides of the glass hold to the hinge and install removed piece, one word of caution in that the screws holding the seperated piece are small sheet metal screws, I feel alot more comfortable useing a machine screw and nut all the way through the hinge bar.
There are a few different rivets used on your trailer, most exterior rivets can be replaced using the Olympic shave head rivets, trims and such mostly held on with #48 aluminum rivets, do yourself a favor and buy only aluminum body/aluminum stem rivets, rust and interaction of dissimilar metals can look pretty nasty down the road
Greg@AirLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 03:14 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
Largo , Florida
Greg, I purchased a new window from Inland and have installed it with using double sided white tape and installing sheet metal screws with nuts. Works well, but the curved portion about 1/2 down doesn't close as close to the frame as all my other windows. What do you think is the cause of this?
Old 07-31-2009, 04:49 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
I have a similar problem with the large curved that we got from VTS: It's not the fit of the original. (The smaller curved for the kitchen, purchased from Andy, does fit well.)

On yours, are you sure that it's simply closed all the way at the hinge across the top?

Lynn
Old 07-31-2009, 05:00 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Send a message via MSN to goransons
Havnig looked at a few airstreams as far as curves/bows etc with a guy locally doing work, it seems like virtually all of them are different from the next. One has to wonder if the bows and ribs were one off's and almost free handed or had large margins of error. I noticed this in particular with interior flanges where dividing walls meet from one 66 to another were very different in curvature. Is the difference big enough it can't be sealed with the "D" shaped gasket? We did one of the large windows from Inland last summer for the 66 overlander and it fit like a charm, even came with a short drill bit for prepping the early style hinge for the glass to fit well.
goransons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 06:16 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
Largo , Florida
Lynn, I think the track may be bent or something related up at the top of the window. Top fits nice, installed the D shape gasket that came with the new glass window and added another 1/2 + of additional weather strip. Next time my RV Tech comes over (he did the window install) we will have a window party. Thanks for your info.
Old 07-31-2009, 07:09 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Yep, I'm fixing to order some more of the D-shaped gasket from Andy soonest, too. It did seem to help a lot on the one new window.

Lynn

Tags