Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Doors & Locks
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-11-2018, 09:09 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
As I thought about all the fixes, I wondered what causes the press fit handle to come off. Then I realized I pull on the handle to close the door and it takes a firm pull to close securely. I'll bet every time I do that it contributes to the loosening of the handle.
There's no other place to pull! So, I'm goin to install a "door pull" so I don't have to jerk the existing handle.
How? I recall someone installing a small cabinet style "loop" above the handle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheriff1 View Post
I did the “safety release “ hole and as I was doing it it occurred to me to attack the root of the problem.Attachment 317777
There it is!
I think this will forestall the damage!
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 09:02 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Newberg , Oregon
Someone asked what year my trailer is. It's a 2015 FC 27ft FB. The reason I'm "preparing for it to fail" is because it is very loose, and like others, I have always used the handle to shut the door. Not anymore though. I now use the screen door grab handle (the metal loop that is in the middle of the screen door) to shut it. That seems to work well.

I really like the "fix" of tapping screw threads into the handle, but as I don't have the tools, and have never done anything like that, it seems out of my reach. I ordered a replacement handle from my dealer, which I will keep for just in case. And continue to work on my escape technique.

Mike
WBCCI #3960
2019 F150 ecoboost
Caffeinated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 09:08 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caffeinated View Post
And continue to work on my escape technique.
Degree of difficulty, 3.5
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	judge.png
Views:	94
Size:	335.4 KB
ID:	319777  
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 10:24 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Door lock "cure".

My door lock (not the deadbolt) tends to get sticky from time to time, and a shot of lubricant always loosens it up.

But..

On my way to Ohio I got locked out and even after multiple tries, where I could feel the key move the lock to the open position, the Handle would move, but not release the jaws from the pin.

I already knew that the EB hatch was also stuck, but tried it anyway - no joy. Then I plopped down on the bumper and started to call around for help. Of course I could have driven to a Home Depot and bought another can of silicone spray... but that would be too simple, so I called a locksmith who wanted $60 just to come out. I decided to give the door one more try, and stood up, walked around to the door... and it had opened itself! Plopping down hard on the bumper had flexed everything just enough to release the jaws. Tested it twice to confirm the butt release really works, but sprayed it again anyway.

May not work all the time, but it is.free, fast and yoi always carry the right equipment to bun bump the frame.☺
Old 09-10-2018, 04:28 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Newberg , Oregon
So, just to close out this thread, I finally went over to the trailer today to mess with it and get this escape mod fixed. I had to ream out the hole in the aluminum door frame that the screw driver fits into a bit for some more clearance, but now I can repeatedly open the door from the inside without using the handle. So, success. Take that, escape window. I also picked up a replacement handle from my airstream dealer for just in case.

I don't know what percentage of handles come apart but it seems to me that this is well worth doing, unless you relish the challenge of going out the window.

Mike
WBCCI #3960
2019 F150 ecoboost
Caffeinated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 08:10 AM   #26
2 Rivet Member

Santa Rosa , California
I have a screwdriver mounted next to the door which is dedicated to the job. I put a ring of pinstripe tape around the shank of the screwdriver, at the proper depth of insertion. The tape lets me know when the screwdriver is in properly, eliminating one variable, then I fish around for a second.

-Sean-
SeanWasHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 04:32 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

2019 20' Flying Cloud
Eau Claire , Wisconsin
I’m still thinking of my over kill plan where I would start with the threaded screw and washer and adding the drilled hole and finally adding the pull handle. With all of those fixes I would be assured that nothing ever would go wrong with the door latch. Or I may screw it all up and need a new door.
Backfortyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote