Old 08-28-2019, 05:31 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1993 34' Excella
Barry's Bay , ON
Door wonít open!

Iím in a 1993 Excella 34í and the methods described in other threads hasnít helped me get this door open!

It wonít open from inside or out. Iíve taken the plate off the inside and still canít get it open (see photo of what it looks like inside - it may show up sideways).

It seems that the rectangular bolt that attaches to the handle has come separated from the bolt that secures the door from swinging open.

Weíve been parked here for 6 weeks without issue until yesterday afternoon. The trailer is level and I raised the stabilizer feet to be sure they werenít torquing the frame, which they werenít. I even tried raising the nose of the trailer to see if the bolt would slide out of place with gravity.

Iíve read about this happening to many other people so we were careful never to slam the door!

Any ideas for how I can get the door open now?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	333E7BA2-1BC2-4A22-94A0-FD23AD41F447.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	319.9 KB
ID:	350674  

LiamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 01:49 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1993 34' Excella
Barry's Bay , ON
Hereís what it looks like from the outside.

This is a photo from the outside.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	462.3 KB
ID:	350713  

Old 08-29-2019, 07:46 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1993 34' Excella
Barry's Bay , ON
Make and model

Last relevant photo here shows the make and model on the inside of the plate.

Is it likely that taking the door off itís hinges from the outside would actually be easiest?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	EEE0A29D-24EC-4D55-AA0D-B846374AA204.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	445.1 KB
ID:	350763   Click image for larger version

Name:	5131D2A0-F5CD-43E7-A168-CA2EA0421BE1.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	265.7 KB
ID:	350764  

Old 08-29-2019, 06:30 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
LiamG... no one seems to have had this problem. I heard one on the Forum where the handle broke and they must have managed to get the door open.

When I have a problem that cannot be figured out, I remove all the hardware I can get out. Eventually you will be down to the part that is holding the door from opening.

You already have a problem. Taking it apart without knowing what you are doing is how you will learn... and you can then tell us.

The hinges... oh... I would not try that. You could be getting into a second repair job IF a hinge casting breaks.

It may be a simple issue of having someone lifting the bottom of the door UP and piddling with whatever seems to be the problem... If you do not know what the problem is... do not avoid the simple options.

Check with replacement parts sales people who may have one of these around. You may be needing one sooner, than later.

I learned how to repair antique Mills Slot Machines by... taking my first one apart that was not working. Made a total mess of it and had no idea what I was doing. After figuring it out, eventually, I can listen on a telephone the sounds being made and explain to the owner what their problem probably would be. So far with 100% success.

Just drill out the rivets holding some parts and buy the tool that fits any odd head. You have nothing to loose... other than your sanity and up to this point you will at least be making progress.

If you can fix this... I will send any slot machine service work your way.
Old 08-29-2019, 06:55 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
CORDOVA , TN
Ray Eklund has given you excellent advice.....start disassembling the lockset from the inside.....who cares if you ruin it...it is already broken apparently. YOu will in the process figure out how the thing works and possibly how to avoid a repeat performance in the future....
Find a way to enjoy life and have fun, every day !
mkcurtiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 09:53 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1993 34' Excella
Barry's Bay , ON
Brawn over brains.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post
LiamG... no one seems to have had this problem. I heard one on the Forum where the handle broke and they must have managed to get the door open.

When I have a problem that cannot be figured out, I remove all the hardware I can get out. Eventually you will be down to the part that is holding the door from opening.

You already have a problem. Taking it apart without knowing what you are doing is how you will learn... and you can then tell us.

The hinges... oh... I would not try that. You could be getting into a second repair job IF a hinge casting breaks.

It may be a simple issue of having someone lifting the bottom of the door UP and piddling with whatever seems to be the problem... If you do not know what the problem is... do not avoid the simple options.

Check with replacement parts sales people who may have one of these around. You may be needing one sooner, than later.

I learned how to repair antique Mills Slot Machines by... taking my first one apart that was not working. Made a total mess of it and had no idea what I was doing. After figuring it out, eventually, I can listen on a telephone the sounds being made and explain to the owner what their problem probably would be. So far with 100% success.

Just drill out the rivets holding some parts and buy the tool that fits any odd head. You have nothing to loose... other than your sanity and up to this point you will at least be making progress.

If you can fix this... I will send any slot machine service work your way.
In the end, I had to cut away the sealant from the outside and use a screw driver to pry the exterior plate off the door. It caused just a slight bend in the aluminum door that I could fix afterwards with pliers.

The problem was that the bolt had broken and was stuck inside. So Iíve decided to put back the handle plates that I have and use it even though the handle wonít latch the door anymore. We use the screen door almost all the time anyway and the door can still be bolted shut when need be. And Iíll never have this issue again.

So bring on the slot machine repair if they require more brawn than finesse.