Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Computers, Internet & Satellite
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-21-2021, 10:44 PM   #41
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Livermore , California
Dimensions of the dish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Froglips View Post
Hmm, I got the invitation from Starlink but my zip code, 34482 in central Florida, doesn't appear to have any service. I am going to order anyway and I want to get the hardware to start trying to figure out how to mount on the roof of the Airstream. I want to see if I can mount the dish in an empty Winegard dome. I assume the dome won't interfere with the signals but who knows. Can someone that has the dish measure its diameter?
The dimensions of the dish are as follows:

• Dish diameter - 23.2", or 589.28mm
• Dish weight - 12 lbs, or 5.44311 kg
• Dish height (including mast) - 25.4", or 645.16mm
• Mast diameter - 1.4, or 35.56mm
ASFC25_2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 10:52 PM   #42
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Livermore , California
Starlink install plan

I think WiFi and power box might go behind the fridge (see attached picture). Any thoughts? It is easy to open and connect the cable for the dish to run it away for the trailer. WiFi connects to my Airstream connect the router. Mount the satellite dish or find a good storage place for it. Maybe on top of the spare tire? Remember this is beta testing so I plan to expect slower speeds and some planned/unplanned outages. Picture attached.
Click image for larger version

Name:	48F08702-C766-4950-BC23-E91E2536371F.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	326.5 KB
ID:	391320

Name:   197C2A39-FB7F-4450-8F94-E0F8E159AA11.jpeg
Views: 410
Size:  45.5 KB

Name:   F8415F53-2B99-4E9D-8B21-F01D36128A3E.jpeg
Views: 387
Size:  17.9 KB

Name:   97927B69-4330-4209-A159-E75EDA6D7C5F.jpeg
Views: 399
Size:  21.0 KB
Old 03-21-2021, 11:04 PM   #43
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Livermore , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by nryn View Post
I’m not sure what you are asking. There is nothing on an Airstream that will work with the Starlink satellite system.

If you are referring to the Airstream-packaged cellular solution, you could probably connect the router to the Ethernet cable coming from the Starlink satellite dish, but you’d still have to get that cable to the router (I don’t have that Airstream system so I can’t say).
I have the Airstream connect and use the StarLink Wifi as my primary connection so that way does not matter where the Star link stuff is located. I might consider running a ethernet cable but not sure it would work on the Airstream router. It is beta testing so don’t want to change to much stuff around.
Old 03-22-2021, 05:36 AM   #44
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Driftless Area , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASFC25_2019 View Post
I have the Airstream connect and use the StarLink Wifi as my primary connection so that way does not matter where the Star link stuff is located. I might consider running a ethernet cable but not sure it would work on the Airstream router. It is beta testing so don’t want to change to much stuff around.
I seem to recall this aspect of Airstream Connect was called “campground mode” and the recommendation was to turn it off due to very poor performance. I know nothing about Airstream Connect, but yes, you could get a “non cabled” connection this way, though if you do anything modestly technical with your network (opening ports, VPN, etc.) I suspect you could run into double NAT problems if you’re on the Airstream’s network. Or you could skip the Airstream connect altogether and connect whatever devices you need to directly to the Starlink network if you already have access to it at the trailer.

I’m hoping/expecting the mobile solution runs off 12V, but that POE injector is big and gets warm. I wonder if the mobile solution will have such a sophisticated dish, with servos and the like, and how that would work during travel. Guess we’ll find out.
Old 03-27-2021, 11:32 AM   #45
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Here is another YouTube Starlink video. He tests the Geofencing by traveling several stops eventually getting to 11 miles out of his assigned "area". It did not work. So there is true Geofencing with this product.

https://youtu.be/me1pz373PF8

x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
Tom & Doty
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 04:16 PM   #46
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Driftless Area , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by turk123 View Post
Here is another YouTube Starlink video. He tests the Geofencing by traveling several stops eventually getting to 11 miles out of his assigned "area". It did not work. So there is true Geofencing with this product.

https://youtu.be/me1pz373PF8

A stationary install is a requirement of the beta and totally understandable. It’s unclear whether the “home area” requirement will remain after they go GA.
Old 03-28-2021, 06:39 AM   #47
3 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Crested Butte , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASFC25_2019 View Post
The dimensions of the dish are as follows:

• Dish diameter - 23.2", or 589.28mm
• Dish weight - 12 lbs, or 5.44311 kg
• Dish height (including mast) - 25.4", or 645.16mm
• Mast diameter - 1.4, or 35.56mm
Thanks. Bought an old Windgard dome on eBay. I will see if the Starlink minds the fiberglass shell.
Old 03-30-2021, 10:23 AM   #48
2 Rivet Member

​201​9 Atlas​
West Vancouver , British Columbia
You can now change your service address online.

https://www.iphoneincanada.ca/news/c...cation-online/
ldavids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 06:27 AM   #49
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
2020 25' International
minneapolis , Minnesota
I canceled the order I placed over the weekend after reading this post. I visited the Starlink site and used some of the addresses of local parks I plan on visiting. None of the parks had service at this time. Some of these parks are only 70 miles from the twin cities. My other concern is the parks with trees which is most around here. I am looking forward to Starling later this year. I just don’t see it feasible at this time.
Old 05-10-2021, 06:41 AM   #50
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
2020 25' International
minneapolis , Minnesota
Mounting location. My original though was to potentially mount the system up front under the queen bed. I can pull power down from one of the night stands. Then go through the floor with the wiring. It would be a short run to a box mounted somewhere on the tongue near the batteries. Has anyone received the Starlink hardware who sees this as a viable solution?
Old 07-01-2021, 11:59 AM   #51
2 Rivet Member

​201​9 Atlas​
West Vancouver , British Columbia
Experience and mobility

I’ve had my Starlink dish for a couple of weeks now. Works great.

I placed the power supply and router in the fridge outdoor access area behind the fridge. There was a 110 outlet there for the fridge which I now share with the Starlink power supply. That outlet is also an inverter outlet so I should be able to enjoy an internet connection even without shore power.

The park I’m at is close to downtown Vancouver. When I tried to order my Starlink beta kit at that address it would only take a deposit and told me service would not be available till late 2021. When I tried to order at a friend’s rural address, it took immediate payment and then shipped within 2 weeks. I had Fedex hold at the local depot and picked it up there.

Friend’s address which is now my service address is on Bowen Island, about 22km (15 miles) from the park. I unboxed and within 5 minutes I was seeing 300 down. As it is working, I did not change the service address.

My plan is to travel to JC in September for some repairs prior to warranty expiry. As I travel probably using KOA’s, each morning I will change my service address to the next KOA. Hopefully high speed internet across Northern USA. Should work given this guy’s (https://www.tuckstruck.net/latest-news/) experience travelling throughout remote BC.

If you have poor internet in a rural location then you really should try and get this service now before the beta ends and the floodgates open. There’s about 70,000 active users with a backlog of 500,000+.
ldavids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 07:45 PM   #52
Custom User Title

2016 19' International
Everett , Pennsylvania
^ Backlog yes, we signed up April 2021 - still awaiting Dishy McFlatface

Perhaps you've seen this already "mobile Starlink " -

Thought this was interesting! App and map coverage / speed test experience with current and forever Beta mobility options.

Limnocnida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 06:39 AM   #53
2 Rivet Member

2020 30' Classic
Holyoke , Massachusetts
Hello Tom

My AT&T plan expires at the end of October. Oh well, it was great while it lasted! I was watching Wanderlocal (Airstream couple who travel extensively) on YouTube and they use a sim from a small company called Bix Wireless. When I checked their website I noticed an AT&T plan for $159.99 that allows for 750 GB. When you hit your limit you must purchase another term. I believe there are other small providers out there but in this case we have an Airstream couple and are happy with the company's service.

Take care.
hsgsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 04:31 PM   #54
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Belen , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1000pre View Post
I canceled the order I placed over the weekend after reading this post. I visited the Starlink site and used some of the addresses of local parks I plan on visiting. None of the parks had service at this time. Some of these parks are only 70 miles from the twin cities. My other concern is the parks with trees which is most around here. I am looking forward to Starling later this year. I just don’t see it feasible at this time.
You actually do have service. It might just not be 100%. There is a site called starlink.sx (not affiliated with the actual Starlink service) That will run a satellite simulator in your browser. WARNING: It is very processing intensive and if you don't have a powerful enough computer with enough resources, you will not be able to run it!

In the top right corner, there is a set of icons. You can use the third one from the right to set your Home location. Zoom in on the map until you can locate your home and then click on that icon followed by clicking on your home. It will then let you know which satellites you would be currently connected to. The interesting thing is that it actually tells you where the cell blocks are. My home is right on the boarder so traveling 2 miles in one direction will drop the connection. Traveling 30 miles in the other direction will still maintain it.

Most of the US/Europe market is sufficiently covered right now. Other places have the satellite coverage as well, but lack the ground stations necessary. We live in NM so we would still see some dropouts, but the longest non-coverage I have seen in this simulator is about 11 seconds.

If you have an address that you can obtain the Starlink for, you can then move that address to just about anywhere. This site will give you a preview of what to expect. Very interesting.
Ephraim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 06:16 PM   #55
2 Rivet Member

2011 28' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
I just watched a YouTube video about this very thing. From Mobile Internet Resource Center.
Starlink uses a spot beam transmitter. You tell Starlink where "home" is and they assign that area to you.
Now the problem. If you leave your zone, the satellite is instructed to ignore you. You might go 30 miles with no problem, then zero service. Currently, you can call Starlink and tell them you've moved. In a few days they'll find a new "home base" for you. This doesn't work for most RV'ers. They're working on an interface where you could change locations online. That eliminates the days delay.
Using Starlink underway is a long way off.
This is now old info with the portability option announced by starlink last week. Now you can move the disk around and not have to worry about which cell you are in. Is a $25 addon to the monthly service.
moodyintx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 06:20 PM   #56
2 Rivet Member

2011 28' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittmaster View Post
For those of us that have the AS connected AT&T systems with the 5G antenna on the roof.....I was just wondering if that antenna is compatible with the starlink system or does it need to be removed and replaced with whatever Starlinks antenna requirements are......i.e........ the risks of removal, patching, replacing.....and ultimately locking into a single system that is brand new.

No it is not compatible that is why they send you the dish.

AS connected was brand new also 2 years ago for a specific reason..i.e. unlimited data.....and look where we are today...the reason to install has been removed as AT&T doesn't offer the plan anymore.

AT&T unlimited data comes at a speed price. Yes data is unlimited - but after a set amount the servioe drops to 128K....

So I don't relish having to upheave the antenna that is working/waterproof for another 2 year gamble.....if you haven't had to go through that mess.....then you probably don't understand the bitterness it has to hear the news of another latest and greatest.....and what it takes to make it so.

you don't have to remove the antenna - the starlink antenna dish does work on the rood because you can't permanently mount it yet.

So my question is rooted in just that.......does the existing antenna work with the starlink system......if it does....great...if not....then it will be a wait and see if it's worth it....or not.
Yes I have starlink service connected to my Airstream
Old 05-09-2022, 06:22 PM   #57
2 Rivet Member

2011 28' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
austin , Texas
Agreed - the RV option when available would be the best solution but it doesn't mean you can create your own. BUT today you cannot have the antenna installed when moving - it isn't built for that.
Old 05-12-2022, 07:31 PM   #58
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Indian Rocks Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by nryn View Post
Just went out to the airstream to see if I could close the cargo compartment over a similar diameter cable and that’s a no-go. But I had another thought. One slick way to do this would be to repurpose the satellite input on the outside of the trailer. Not sure if that wiring is tacked down on the inside but running through that or getting a jack wired into that would be ideal.
Did you ever explore this any further as an option? I’m getting my Starlink soon and struggling to find a good way to get cabling into the airstream.
ortsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 10:20 AM   #59
4 Rivet Member

2024 30' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
Getting Starlink Cable Into Airstream

I was wondering if anyone had tried running the Starlink cable through the existing cable entry used for battery connection under the front port-side floor and into the area under the front bed/lounge where the 12v power and invertor are usually found. I believe there is 120v power there too.

For travel, the cable could be disconnected from the antenna and coiled up and maybe stored in the box on the A-frame that houses gas bottles.
FredWilma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 12:18 PM   #60
2 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
San Jose , California
I am looking at two options. Running cable using the battery cable access hole is one. My second (and preferred option) is the swap out the “sat” connector with an Ethernet connector (RJ45) and snip the Starlink cable and crimp an Ethernet end on it.
ronalddodge is offline   Reply With Quote