Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-12-2007, 11:39 AM   #81
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
My set method is to stand up the dish, put the signal meter at the dish, hook the feed cable to the meter and run it to the receiver. Plug in the receiver and use the Dish pointing screen to get a compass heading, grab the compass and go back to the dish. I eyeball the heading of the dish then turn the sensitivity of the signal meter until I get a low whistle. I the gently move the dish until the signal increases. I then turn down the sensitivity to the low whistle and repeat until any further movement in any direction (up, down left or right) reduces the signal. I then remove the meter, go inside and see if I have a picture. If not, I unplug and wait 30 seconds. If still no signal, I was on the wrong satellite. Try again.
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 06:03 PM   #82
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Lady Lake , Florida
I have Directv!

It really took a forum, but I finally have Directv into the AS. 24 days into our trip it is finally on.

It is hooked up to two small tvs thru 2 receivers. Next step will be to hook it into the AS.

I bought it all-Align a site, Bulls Eye mount, Camping World tripod, Signal meter and ungrounded cables to replace the grounded cable the installer gave us at the house.

What has worked so far is leveling the CW tripod with the level supplied with the triod and using the compass that was also supplied with the tripod.

I may return the Align a site and signal meter, but I read that sometimes you really need both. Haven't really figured out the Align a site and why do I need the signal meter when the set-up has sound?

Anyway, thank you to Devoman for starting this thread, and thanks to all who replied. Without everyone, I doubt if I would have it working in 90 days.

Thanks again,

Pat
starflyte1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 06:46 PM   #83
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Great Lake State , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by starflyte1
It really took a forum, but I finally have Directv into the AS. 24 days into our trip it is finally on.

It is hooked up to two small tvs thru 2 receivers. Next step will be to hook it into the AS.

I bought it all-Align a site, Bulls Eye mount, Camping World tripod, Signal meter and ungrounded cables to replace the grounded cable the installer gave us at the house.

What has worked so far is leveling the CW tripod with the level supplied with the triod and using the compass that was also supplied with the tripod.

I may return the Align a site and signal meter, but I read that sometimes you really need both. Haven't really figured out the Align a site and why do I need the signal meter when the set-up has sound?

Anyway, thank you to Devoman for starting this thread, and thanks to all who replied. Without everyone, I doubt if I would have it working in 90 days.

Thanks again,

Pat
I have "align a site" and love it, will get you very close, you will also need a GOOD signal meter, the Acutrac pro 22 will zero it in. Can setup in less than 5 minute by my self... Acutrac 22 Pro Kit
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	acuwithlogo.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	17.5 KB
ID:	40433  
toastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 06:57 PM   #84
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Ain't it a good feeling when you finally nail that DirecTV signal? I also bought the signal meter, level, and the compass. I probably have a defective meter (or brain), because I have never had any success with it, but I have found that it's easier for me to set up just using the compass in conjunction with the information I get by punching in the zip code of wherever I am on the receiver. This week at Perry, after 20 minutes of trying to get a reading on the meter, I finally tossed the meter in the back of my truck and went with the compass/zip code method, I had a good signal within 3 minutes. Of course, my wife yelling signal readings out the window substituted nicely for the signal meter.

Right now the dish is lying on the ground after being blown over by a horrendous storm that is passing through the region. Now, if I can only keep my wife awake long enough to recalibrate the antenna...
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 07:08 PM   #85
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Northwest Panhandle , The Sunshine State/WBCCI 6637
Direct tv

Well...I have had Direct Tv for about 8 months now and every single time I have been out in the camper I have not used it yet.I think now that I have the time I will be trying to figure this thing out.Hopefully I can do this.I have tried in the past but I just did not really have the time or there were way to many trees.As I was coming home last week though and I went to Anastasia state park to stay one night before heading home I did notice that someone had there set up under all the brush and if anyone has been to that park knows that the sites dont pretty much even see sun light that much.Plus It took me some time to try and figure this thing out with no connection.I am wondering if it has something to do with the cable I am using.I am going to hook it up to my house first to see if it will at least work from there to the trailer.

Devoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 07:34 PM   #86
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
All cables are not created equal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devoman
...I am wondering if it has something to do with the cable I am using.I am going to hook it up to my house first to see if it will at least work from there to the trailer.
Hey, Devoman.
Make sure you're using RG-6 cable. It's best for satellite antennae, and has superior shielding than the more common (and cheaper) RG-59. There are even different levels of RG-6. Quad-shielded is best, but kind of expensive. If it's a long run an in-line amplifier may help, and they are relatively inexpensive.

RadioShack.com - Home Entertainment: Accessories: Satellite TV accessories: Satellite In-Line Amplifier
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 07:56 PM   #87
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Well...I have had Direct Tv for about 8 months now and every single time I have been out in the camper I have not used it yet.I think now that I have the time I will be trying to figure this thing out.Hopefully I can do this.I have tried in the past but I just did not really have the time or there were way to many trees.As I was coming home last week though and I went to Anastasia state park to stay one night before heading home I did notice that someone had there set up under all the brush and if anyone has been to that park knows that the sites dont pretty much even see sun light that much.Plus It took me some time to try and figure this thing out with no connection.I am wondering if it has something to do with the cable I am using.I am going to hook it up to my house first to see if it will at least work from there to the trailer.
Hi Devoman

If you want me to talk you through it send me a PM with your phone number. The secret to Directv on the road is to use an older receiver because they are much easier to set up. I am using a Hughes model GAEBOA. The newer receivers are designed not to be user friendly when it comes to set up.

Radio Shack sells a tripod, I use a 3 ft section of 1 1/4 conduit as a mast. As for a spair antenna watch for someone in the neighborhood that is moving and ask if you can have the old one on the house.

You will need a good compass.

HowieE

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 08:52 PM   #88
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Northwest Panhandle , The Sunshine State/WBCCI 6637
Setup

Fortunantly I have the windguard tripod and a compass I have the dish and rg-6 cable only thing now is just setting it up.I have the newer reciever.
Thanks Howie.I will be e-mailing you for sure if I can not figure this thing out.I dont know if I will have the time to do it the rest of this week but I will next week.

Devoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 09:22 PM   #89
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
If you want a signal meter PM me. I need a new one for my new dish.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 12:47 AM   #90
2 Rivet Member

2008 22' Safari
Milledgeville , Georgia
Just bought one of these. I'm setting it up Saturday. Hope it works- Carl

Vu Qube Portable Satellite TV Antenna - Camping World
chhmiami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 08:40 AM   #91
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Fortunantly I have the windguard tripod and a compass I have the dish and rg-6 cable only thing now is just setting it up.I have the newer reciever.
Thanks Howie.I will be e-mailing you for sure if I can not figure this thing out.I dont know if I will have the time to do it the rest of this week but I will next week.
Hi

What model reciever do you have? I have a written set of instructions for one of the newer models I have set up for a friend and I will send it to you.

The problem with the newer models is accessing the menu for the setup procedure for the antenna. If you are using the reciever from the house or the same model number I would try and access the setup menu in the house while you are close to the phone. If you have problems with this test call Directv 800 531 5000 and ask for tech support and have them walk you through the setup. This will not effect your setup in the house because you will not make any changes to the house antenna while learning the menu.

Once you have mastered the menu it should take less than 5 mins to actualy set upi the antenna while traveling.

If you try a set up on the trailer at home just remember to place your compass at least 15 feet from the truck, trailer or any heavy metal. With the reciever set to the signal strength meter and the volume on the TV up to where you can hear it while outside, someone inside that can relay the info, you ready to set the antenna. Once the compass stops moving sight across the compass for the azimuth looking for a distance object as a reference point. Now with the antenna mast reasonably close to vertical, no need to get anal on this, aim the antenna towards the sighted object and raise the antenna to the elevation angle. If you good you will hear the signal meter, if not start moving the antenna left or right slowly through a 10 degree ack either side of the original azmuith. I say start with the azmuith because I have found the information given for the zip codes is most often the one with the greatest error factor. If you did not get a signal during this sweep drop or raise the antenna 2 degrees and repeat the sweep. Alternate the drop and raise while sweeping until you get a signal. Once a signal is found work it by moving the antenna in very small increments for the highest volume on the TV. If you are shoting through light folage any signal above 60% will give you a picture, but when placing the antenna mast try for a clean shot towards the azmuith while looking up at a 30 degrees angle. This angle will get you safely over distant trees and ground clutter. In a clear area you should be able to get a 90% plus signal but I generaly stop trying at anything about 80.

After you have done if a few times you will get to the point where you can just go out and look at another camper antenna and aim yours off his. Now that said I have spent close to 30 mins in the rain and never gotten a signal. But generaly it takes less than 5 mins. for the whole setup.

Old 11-09-2007, 10:33 AM   #92
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
I have a question. I set mine up the first time using the signal meter on the television from the receiver without any problems. Since then I have forgotten how to find the azimuth. I never was good with a compass. Do you point the arrow on the compass to North and aim the dish at the number on the dial of the compass or do you point the arrow at the number on the dial of the compass and point the dish toward the "S" or would it be "N"?

Also, which of the F terminals do you hook the receiver to when you disconnect the jumper cable? My trailer didn't have the jumper installed from the factory and I took it to a dealer and I'm not sure they installed it correctly...even though Jackson Center talked them through the installation.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 10:39 AM   #93

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
North is up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate
IDo you point the arrow on the compass to North and aim the dish at the number on the dial of the compass.
yes

Quote:
I Also, which of the F terminals do you hook the receiver to when you disconnect the jumper cable? My trailer didn't have the jumper installed from the factory and I took it to a dealer and I'm not sure they installed it correctly...even though Jackson Center talked them through the installation.
Sorry mine is covered up. I don't use it. I ran new cabling since I have and use two inputs on my DVR. I went through the refrig opening.

Old 11-09-2007, 11:18 AM   #94
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Thanks Michelle. I keep saying I'm going to do a trial at home and never get around to it. Maybe this weekend since I have Monday off for Vetrans Day.
WBCCI# 4821
Old 11-09-2007, 11:24 AM   #95
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Also, which of the F terminals do you hook the receiver to when you disconnect the jumper cable? My trailer didn't have the jumper installed from the factory and I took it to a dealer and I'm not sure they installed it correctly...even though Jackson Center talked them through the installation.
Not sure what you are refering to by the F cable.

The wire from the Directv antenna goes to the input terminal of the reciever. And a cable from the output of the reciever to the TV. That is the simplest but not often the case.

I installed a terminal on the outside of the trailer and ran it up to the counter that the TV sits on. I purchased a 2 way splitter from Radio Shack. The new wire from the outside of the trailer goes to one of the OUTPUT TERMINALS of the splitter. A wire from my Airstream antenna goes to the other OUTPUT TERMINAL of the splitter. A wire from the INPUT TERMINAL of the splitter goes to the reciever input and a wire from the output trminal of the reciever goes to the TV. With the TV set on channel 3 I recieve Directv channels by tuning with the reciever remote. With the reciever off and the amplifer of the Airstream turned on I recieve local TV while tuning with the TV remote.

Yes a splitter will work install backwords.

If you PM me I will send some photos.

Old 11-09-2007, 01:24 PM   #96
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Lady Lake , Florida
In a way, I am happy to see this thread alive and well again, but am sorry that we still need it.

We traveled 18,000 miles this summer in 60 days. Carried the Directv and accessories the entire time. I did not try to use it very often, because, after the one time I have been able to use it, I have had no luck.

We won't be travelling for a while, so I hope to set up in the drive after the holidays.

The last time I tried it, I could not even get each of the set-up screens to show up, even with 30 minutes of phone help from Directv, so have lots of homework to do.

Thanks again for this thread. Someday we WILL get it!!

Pat
starflyte1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 01:34 PM   #97
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by starflyte1
The last time I tried it, I could not even get each of the set-up screens to show up, even with 30 minutes of phone help from Directv, so have lots of homework to do.
Pat
The customer service at Directv is not what is used to be. As mentioned above the newer recievers are not user friendly. The best thing I could suggest if you have a newer reciever is try and find an installer in your area and ask them to walk you through it, have a 6 pack handy or a $20.00, and take notes.

Old 11-09-2007, 01:47 PM   #98
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
The F connector or terminal is the threaded connection that comes out of the wall plate. On the newer models, Airstream installed an F-connector on the outside of the trailer wall to connect the cable or satellite cable to. They used R-6 cable in the walls and connected to another F-connector on the interior wall. There was a second F-connector with a short jumper cable connecting the two. When you have cable service provided in the camp ground or used the bat wing, you leave the jumper cable connected. If you are using the antenna, you press the little black button next to one of the F-connectors on one of the face plates. When you use satellite, you connect the satellite's cable to the same F-connector on the outside as if you were connecting to the campground's cable and you disconnect the jumper cable inside the trailer and connect the satellite receiver to one of the F-connectors on one of the face plates on the interior wall.

My Airstream was supposed to have been pre-wired at the factory, but they forgot to put the second F-connector in with the jumper cable. I called the factory and they recommended the nearest dealer. I had no confidence in this dealer and that is why I didn't buy from them, but Airstream assured me they could do the job and that they had had no complaints about them (that surprised the h#11 out of me) but I took it to them anyway. They claimed their technician spent 4 hours on the phone with Airstream to figure out how to wire it up and it was right when I picked it up. Some where along the line there was some B$ exchanged...either from the service manager to me or from the service tech to the service manager because when I looked at the work it looked like a first grader had done it and when I tried to use the dish it didn't work. So they either did it wrong or I'm not doing something right. Either way, I didn't want the continued frustration on my weekend trip so we watched DVD's. I still have to figure out what's not right and I think the only thing to do is run the R-6 cable through the door and set the satellite dish up and then hook it up to the exterior F-connector and experiment until I get the signal to the receiver through the cable in the wall. It really should be a simple process, but apparently it takes more time and patience than I had on our only trip since the work was done.
WBCCI# 4821
Old 11-09-2007, 02:00 PM   #99
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Minnie's Mate

I dought if there is anyone at the factory, other than the design engineer that drew up the plans could help,and you cann't get to him.

Your on the right track to test it out. If you have a ohm meter attach a cable to the outside F connection and run the cable inside through the door. With the meter set on OHMs touch the center wire of the cable with one of the probes and touch the center wire of the inside F connector, If the meter responds you have proofed the wire as good. If you find a connection between outside and inside connect a cable to that F terminal and the reciever and you should be able to set up.

From your discription of the jumper I would think that may be a jumper to feed a TV connection in the bedroom, but that is just a guess.

Old 11-09-2007, 10:12 PM   #100

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:

I had no confidence in this dealer and that is why I didn't buy from them, but Airstream assured me they could do the job and that they had had no complaints about them (that surprised the h#11 out of me)
If you are un-happy with the dealer let them know. Dave Schumann knows who I am. I let them know when I am getting good service and when I am not.