Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Audio, Video & TV
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-01-2010, 06:25 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Savannah , Georgia
Skyliner antenna questions

I actually am really enjoying trying to "restore" this 1977 antenna. Found the replacement worm gear and worm. Found the plastic worm guides on the internet. Will make the unavailable spacers out of a pair of flip-flops!
Have been looking for #8 1/2" aluminum screws with aluminum wingnuts. So far no luck.
Question: Can I use stainless steel screws to replace/fix the missing or broken pieces? Will the stainless be compatable with the aluminum as far as reception of signal?
Thanks. Jack
Skamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 07:37 PM   #2

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
McMaster-Carr has a good selection of aluminum machine screws and wing nuts.

McMaster-Carr

Try part numbers 98568A110 and 93143A194

We've also used stainless steel with good results for other applications.

Kevin

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 08:05 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1976 27' Overlander
Stuarts Draft , Virginia
Skamper1,
I too am having issues with my original antenna. It won't raise. Did you get yours to work? If you did where did you get the parts?

Thanks,
Mountainman1
mountainman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 08:27 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman1 View Post
Skamper1,
I too am having issues with my original antenna. It won't raise. Did you get yours to work? If you did where did you get the parts?

Thanks,
Mountainman1
All sorts of antenna parts at Out-of-Doors Mart. Skyliner gears are at the top of the page.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:01 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Savannah , Georgia
Mountianman1: It was not easy. First took apart the antenna. Most of my inner gears, spacers and guides were deteriorated. Got the gears from ODM. Guides off of E-Bay. My antenna was frozen in place. Slowly moved the rotating plate back and forth with alot of penetrating oil. Was happy to get 1/4 inch movement and then just kept working it back and forth. Was hesitant to use a persuader...e.g. hammer. Got alot of aluminum residue and sand. This took three days. Did not want to overdo it as is sometimes my habit. The center rod/ pulldown was frozen also. Used gentle pressure and had a friend inside to work the handle back and forth. Took us an hour to free the rod up. Again, a lot of penetrating oil. Should be putting it back up on the roof this week. If I can be of any more help...just ask. Not an expert, but been there and done this so far!
Skamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 07:27 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1976 27' Overlander
Stuarts Draft , Virginia
Thanks Skamper1 for the info. Not sure if I'm going to mess with it now after what your experience has taught you. If it received digiatal TV signals or was wired into my 8 track/FM stereo maybe it would be worth the effort. Maybe I should replace it with a digital antenna??? Not sure what to do but I'm still researching the subject.
Old 09-24-2010, 07:58 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Even if it's an original Braund Skyliner - it works just fine receiving digital signal.....
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 08:48 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganglin View Post
Even if it's an original Braund Skyliner - it works just fine receiving digital signal.....
Absolutely! The antenna doesn't know or care if the signal is analog or digital. I've been watching HDTV over my Skyliner for over 3 years now. Great antenna.
Old 09-25-2010, 07:01 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1976 27' Overlander
Stuarts Draft , Virginia
Good to know. I'll definently fix it now. Are you still using the original flat 300 ohm cable that came on the AS or did run 75 ohm round cable?
Old 09-25-2010, 11:05 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman1 View Post
Good to know. I'll definently fix it now. Are you still using the original flat 300 ohm cable that came on the AS or did run 75 ohm round cable?
My Trade Wind had the flat cable, but I used a 75 to 300 Ohm outdoor matching transformer like the one here at Ace Hardware on Amazon. They are available locally, but this lets you see what you need. The outdoor ones have the boot that seals around the 75 Ohm cable.

The Excella had 75 Ohm all the way from the antenna to inside the wall plate and the switched to the flat 300 Ohm at the wall plate (the wedge shapped one that also has the 12v outlet. I bought a 75 Ohm wall plate locally, removed the fitting, and threw the new wall plate away. I then drilled a hole between the 12v outlet and the connector for the flat 300 ohm and inserted the fitting there. Then I connected the 75 Ohm from the Skyliner to that giving me 75 Ohm all the way.

It was easy. I believe it was as difficult to describe. All this stuff should be available at WalMart, Home Depot, Radio Shack, Ace Hardware, or other local sources. You will be well pleased with the results.