Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Audio, Video & TV
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-23-2015, 11:26 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Connecting a TV Directly to 12v Power?

Looking into upgrading my Sony 23" LCD to a 28" Insignia. The Insignia uses a power brick with AC pins so I'm guessing it transforms AC to DC. Is it possible to bypass that transformer brick and connect the TV directly to the 12v Airstream system; cut off the brick and splice in a 12v male plug? When my converter/charger is pumping out 14+volts would the TV be able to handle it and not get damaged?

Kelvin
Old 10-23-2015, 02:26 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Yes, cut wire, attach 12 volt plug and you will be good to go. Make sure you have the correct polarity. My 22 inch came with both a DC and AC plug.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 02:44 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Maybe one of these would work on the TV. The Insignia has a single pole 12v connection.

Amazon.com: 12 Volt DC Cord To Power TVs With A Cigarette Lighter Socket - Universal Connector: Electronics
Old 10-23-2015, 03:44 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Don't put a lot of faith in cigarette power cords. It is hard to know what part of China they came from and many have a tendency to get hot at the point of contact.

Hard wire with an inline fuse holder for the rating of the TV

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 12:13 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1992 29' Excella
1972 27' Overlander
Wakefield , Rhode Island
We have a 12v Insignia but decided to not connect it directly to 12v since watching it when not plugged into shore power will run the batteries down fairly quickly. We need things to be idiot-proofed ;-). YMMV.
msimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 01:47 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
Looking into upgrading my Sony 23" LCD to a 28" Insignia. The Insignia uses a power brick with AC pins so I'm guessing it transforms AC to DC. Is it possible to bypass that transformer brick and connect the TV directly to the 12v Airstream system; cut off the brick and splice in a 12v male plug? When my converter/charger is pumping out 14+volts would the TV be able to handle it and not get damaged?

Kelvin
It very much depends on what the power brick puts out. Not all are 12 volts DC. It could be any voltage, up to 18 volts, and either AC or DC.

In addition, the quality of regulation of the power supply can be critical to some systems. It depends on how the television is designed.

Personally I would not bypass the original power supply as you don't know what the designers of the system had in mind, or did relative to the above issues.

Even an inexpensive inverter of 100 watts or more will power the television and at only a 10% loss or so. Most inverters these days operate at about a 90% conversion rate. However, that said, many pure sine wave inverters such as Airstream supplies have a high stand by loss, approaching 2 amps. These are not the best ones to us, while surprisingly the cheapo modified sine wave inverters have a much lower stand by loss.

I did some tests on it and the results are in this post:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f450...er-138719.html
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 09:40 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by msimon View Post
We have a 12v Insignia but decided to not connect it directly to 12v since watching it when not plugged into shore power will run the batteries down fairly quickly. We need things to be idiot-proofed ;-). YMMV.
Something must be wrong. Your tv should only be using 20-30 watts. This should not be running your batteries down rapidly. We boondock mostly and don't worry about how long we run our tv.

We run the tv, Jack amplifier, cell phone charging, Ipad charging and interior cooling fan directly from 12v receptacles and they all work fine with no extra losses. We only use the inverter for my wife's hair dryer and our outside cooling fan.

BTW we got our 22" Supersonic tv from Amazon. It came with both a 12v dc and a 120v ac power cord.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 11:18 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1992 29' Excella
1972 27' Overlander
Wakefield , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringDan View Post
Your tv should only be using 20-30 watts. This should not be running your batteries down rapidly. We boondock mostly and don't worry about how long we run our tv.

We run the tv, Jack amplifier, cell phone charging, Ipad charging and interior cooling fan directly from 12v receptacles and they all work fine with no extra losses. We only use the inverter for my wife's hair dryer and our outside cooling fan.
Our 24" Insignia TV w/DVD player uses 36 watts. We don't have a solar battery charger or a generator (although a generator has been ordered and is on it's way). Perhaps we are being too cautious. Since we travel mostly in spring and fall and often stay several days at a time without shore power, we worry about running down the batteries--the tongue jack, the refer fans and ignition, hot water ignition, and most importantly the furnace fan (if needed) all depend on the batteries (the furnace being a huge user). Being survival types, maybe we're being too obsessively conservative when it comes to these things. We worry about getting stuck at some point out in the middle of nowhere without the survival essentials, although we could live without hot water ;-).
Old 10-26-2015, 11:46 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by idroba View Post
It very much depends on what the power brick puts out. Not all are 12 volts DC. It could be any voltage, up to 18 volts, and either AC or DC.
You're correct. I found a 12v power supply on Amazon for Insignia TV and they output 18v. Its not the type the Insignia has now, a brick that plugs into the wall but I would think the power requirements probably haven't changed.

Kelvin
Old 10-28-2015, 07:01 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by msimon View Post
Our 24" Insignia TV w/DVD player uses 36 watts. We don't have a solar battery charger or a generator (although a generator has been ordered and is on it's way). Perhaps we are being too cautious. Since we travel mostly in spring and fall and often stay several days at a time without shore power, we worry about running down the batteries--the tongue jack, the refer fans and ignition, hot water ignition, and most importantly the furnace fan (if needed) all depend on the batteries (the furnace being a huge user). Being survival types, maybe we're being too obsessively conservative when it comes to these things. We worry about getting stuck at some point out in the middle of nowhere without the survival essentials, although we could live without hot water ;-).
I recommend you install a digital voltmeter so you always know the status of your battery(s). I have a volt minder but you can get a digital voltmeter from Amazon for less than $10. When your no load voltage drops to 12.00 volts, time to start up the generator.

BTW, we can easily boondock 5 days without recharging in mild weather. For example, I boondocked in Raleigh in early October for 6 days. Voltage at the start was 12.85; voltage after 6 days was 12.40. All bets are off when you need to operate the furnace though.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 11:17 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1992 29' Excella
1972 27' Overlander
Wakefield , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringDan View Post
I recommend you install a digital voltmeter so you always know the status of your battery(s). I have a volt minder but you can get a digital voltmeter from Amazon for less than $10. When your no load voltage drops to 12.00 volts, time to start up the generator.
Great idea. Thanks.

Tags
12v