Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Audio, Video & TV
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-30-2017, 02:04 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Venice , Florida
Antenna help.

Have a 93 Excella Classic with the original antenna. Works pretty good too. The rubber boot where the cable goes thru the base is shot. The cable coming up is also marginal. Have a new boot to install an want to know how to replace the cable from the antenna thru the boot to the interior. Whats involved ?
harryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 12:25 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1995 30' Excella
Harper Woods , Michigan
This Winegard installation manual may be of use to you.

http://www.winegard.com/kbase/upload/2452013.pdf
Bob Blarney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 01:56 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
If you have a connector at the base under the boot, it's an easy job. If not, there is probably a connector between the skins under the antenna base; it may be accessible from the top side by pulling on the cable. If you don't have a connector accessible from the top, you will have to remove the base. If there is no connector there you will have to cut the cable. Get a few feet of cable, a boot or two, some connectors, a strip tool, and a crimp tool. If you have to cut the cable you will also need a double female (commonly called a "bullet" connector to join the new cable to the old. All are available at Home Depot or Lowes. Harbor Freight sells all of the tools and connectors but I don't know if they sell the cable and boots. They have a package with the crimper and some connectors together. Check your cable to find out what it is. It will either be marked RG-59 or RG-6. The connectors are different. Remove the antenna base, clean up the base and exterior skin, disconnect (or cut) the existing cable, MAKING SURE THAT THE PREAMP SWITCH IS OFF FIRST). Route some cable through the antenna arms and base, strip it and crimp on a connector. Connect the new cable to the old one. Put the base back with some sealant. At the top, make sure that the cable will not get pinched in the arm mechanism (don't ask how I know this), cut it to length, put on the boot, strip it and crimp on the connector. Screw it on the antenna and install the boot. Nice job - you're done.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 08:08 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
SOUTH ANHERST , Ohio
Antenna on a Argosy is missing and All that is left is the base on the roof and in side is good still turns and gos up and down.
I want to completely replace all top and inside crank , I have purchased a Winggard sensar 111 rv antena to replace the old on that just has parts left.
a few questiond could some one tell me what to procedure is to remove the old roof top antenna fron inside and on top the roof . I am sure I can not stand on the roof to remove the old seal and antenna and not sure how to remove the inside.
I do not have any leaks now and do not want to create any .
I am sure I can unstall the new one but not sure how to REMOVE the old one there now NEED HELP NEVER DID THIS IN THE PAST
thanks all need help!! please
Gosman is offline   Reply With Quote