Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-11-2007, 06:32 PM   #1
Cyclist

2007 28' International CCD
Windermere , Florida
Autoformer

Does anyone have experience with the Hughes Autoformer?
WWW.RVPerformanceProducts.com.
Claim is to boost voltage in RV parks when it drifts low. Thus protecting appliances.
henw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 06:40 PM   #2
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by henw
Does anyone have experience with the Hughes Autoformer?
WWW.RVPerformanceProducts.com.
Claim is to boost voltage in RV parks when it drifts low. Thus protecting appliances.
I have never used their particular product. But I have used booster transformers on my jobsites before. Basically all it is a transformer that helps to maintain acceptable power levels. Their prices are not out of line. Camping World sells them too. Yes they do work to help "even" out power. As a general rule I have never needed them at the RV parks I stay at, but then again I am usually staying there in the off seasons

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 08:24 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
I've had one for over a year and bought the installation kit for it also. It sits neatly in the rear compartment. I had noticed a few times prior to its purchase that my voltmeter would run low into the green, 113 volts in the neighborhood and at a couple of campgrounds but with the Hughes it is running a steady 125 volts.

Is it worth it? It takes care of my piece of mind and that is all I'm interested in.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 08:44 PM   #4
Round on both ends

1979 31' Excella 500
1975 28' Argosy 28
Rutledge , Georgia
Hi, Henw,

Here's a previous conversation some of us got in on the topic:

http://www.airforums.com/forum...rmer-7248.html

Lamar
2003 Dodge 2500 Cummins "TowHog"
"Lucy Loosehair" the cat - Airstream mascot
Klaatu barada nikto
SafeHarbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 08:45 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
Actually, the prices on that site seem high. I paid $325 for my 30 amp unit. I think that is the same as Randy at http://bestconverter.com charges.

Here's a thread which details my limited experience with mine. http://www.airforums.com/forum...ght=autoformer

1984 310 Limited Motorhome
Courtesy Parking (W/S/E/Wi-Fi) on I-5 in Northern California, 70 miles from Oregon border
guy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 10:05 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Lady Lake , Florida
Autoformer ?s

We are thinking about getting an autoformer, especially after having our ac quit due to low power.

We have a 25' Safari FB. If we buy a Hughes Autoformer and the installation kit, can we permanately mount it in a compartment in our AS? And just leave the Autoformer hooked up all the time and plug the ground power into it, after running the extention cord from the post to autoformer? I don't like the idea of putting the autoformer at the post.

We are leaving on a 5000+ trip next week. Will be driving across the states on I-10 to CA then to Vegas for a wedding. The first two weeks of our trip will be in HOT weather, so the autoformer would be a good idea, if I have it figured out.

Also, need to get it by the 12th.

Thanks,
starflyte1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 10:50 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by starflyte1
We are thinking about getting an autoformer, especially after having our ac quit due to low power.

We have a 25' Safari FB. If we buy a Hughes Autoformer and the installation kit, can we permanately mount it in a compartment in our AS? And just leave the Autoformer hooked up all the time and plug the ground power into it, after running the extention cord from the post to autoformer? I don't like the idea of putting the autoformer at the post.

We are leaving on a 5000+ trip next week. Will be driving across the states on I-10 to CA then to Vegas for a wedding. The first two weeks of our trip will be in HOT weather, so the autoformer would be a good idea, if I have it figured out.

Thanks,
Yes, I called Hughes and that method of installation is supported. Prices on these vary, you might check Randy at BestConverter - Inteli-Power, WFCO, Parallax, Xantrex, Samlex, Electrical Supplies.

Courtesy Parking (W/S/E/Wi-Fi) on I-5 in Northern California, 70 miles from Oregon border
Old 09-04-2007, 12:10 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2001 30' Excella
Bedford , New Hampshire
Autoformer

I purchased one several years ago when we were in Las Vegas. The power at Circus Circus was always around 112 volts and the air conditioner was working very hard. When I went outside the cabel from the trailer to the utility pole was real hot. I went to camping world and purchased one on the spot. The air conditioner sounded better and the unit was cooler. The cable from the autoformer to the trailer was normal temp.

I swear by the unit, it works great. You never know when you get bad power.

I would think again about using an extension cord from the pole to the autoformer. I assume you then would plug the normal cord of the unit into the autoformer. That means you will have about 50 ft of cable. A 25 ft cable from the utliity pole to the autoformer and 25 ft from the autoformer to the trailer. I think you may be defeating the purpose of the autoformer with the voltage drop over that distance.

I'm no electrician, but it's just a thought.

I use the portable autoformer because I also use an EMS, "Electronic Monitoring System". The EMS tells me if I have a problem with volts, ground, cycles, and amps. on the 120 circut. See Progressive Industries below.

Progressive Industries is committed to making the RV experience easier

I only use the autoformer if the EMS tells me I have low voltage.

Good luck on your cross country trip.

Mark
Old 09-04-2007, 12:23 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
Oops,
I agree with Mark. I guess I didn't read your post carefully enough. If you want to install the autoformer inside your rig, you connect your power cord to a socket into which you plug the autoformer, then you plug a short cord from your rig into the autoformer.

Here's a link which shows it:

Hughes Autoformer Installation Kit Diagram

Old 09-04-2007, 01:36 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
1964 19' Globetrotter
1955 26' Cruiser Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by starflyte1

Thanks,

We have ours hard wired in our 27FB. the unit is mounted behind the pantry drawer pull out, strapped and screwed against the wall. Wired directly between the shore power inlet and parallax panel. I also had it wired the same way in my 28' Safari, under the front sofa behind the Parallax and next to the water heater.

It's also isolated to boost on the road side shore power inlet, not the generator power inlet at the front (if you have the generator prep option).

I thought of getting a surge suppressor as well, but the autoformer also has some surge protection. Even in TX storms I've not been affected by any surges, but have been affected by low voltage with some of the state parks.

The only drawback I have so far that I cannot see if it is boosting or not without pulling the drawer open and peaking behind to see if I see one light or 2 on. (not removing the drawer, just fully extending it)

I have toyed with the idea of running some fiber optic from the autoformer lights to the Parallaz panel to be able to see if the boost was on or not, but haven't found the need (or time) to do it yet.

Kevin
Bambi_Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote