Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-29-2022, 12:44 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2022 Interstate 24GT
Boston , Massachusetts
Xantrex Freedom 1000 settings stuck/no standby

Hello - Let me first state that I have spent a few weeks before writing this doing the following to take care of the ground level things first and minimize time waste for people.

1. Read the manual cover to cover. Became intimately aware of the power diagram of the 2022 AI GT. Once done, watch all YouTube videos from Xantrex of the proper operation of the unit.

2. Replaced the non-bluetooth remote panel with a bluetooth remote panel to use app.

3. Searched forums here, outside of here, FB groups, google, any other area.

4. Put a ticket in with Xantrex but despite follow up did not get their attention and so far for a few weeks have been ignored. Called as well.

5. Since I just took delivery 3 months ago, took to the place where I bought it. Unfortunately they are MB techs posing as airstream techs and I know a lot more about the Xantrex than they do. All they were able to do is an opt 99 reset ( did that already). They kept it for over a week with no gain, had to drive up to demonstrate to them what was happening so they would believe me.

6. Cut AC and batter power from unit, left off for 30 min, turned on, no change (read something about hard reset was grasping for straws).

So, I'm here after exhausting everything I can think of for help because I can't get anyone to the point where they'll just replace it under warranty or discover any further.

Note: I have not contacted airstream yet or contacted a place like Camping World as of yet.

Now to the meat after hopefully answering some of the ground level (try this and try that). I have no found this exact issue in any search anywhere.

First issue is that most options except options 6, 25, and 99 (reset) are not changeable. When you get into config mode (by holding OK until you get it using ^ to cycle though. I cycle to option 20, battery type (this is an example). It is set to flooded (default). I try to set it to lithium. I am unable to get the blinking option number to change to the blinking option parameter by holding ok. If I go to option 6, 25, or 99 the option parameter is selected (blinking) using the same proper method no problem.

I have tried doing the same at both the remote panel and the inverter itself. I have also reseated the remote panel rj11 plug.

I am at my wits end to fix this first issue and I have tried all that I can think of. I'm only moderately handy (replaced toilet, took seat off where inverter lives) but I'm not an expert.

Second issue with the inverter is that the Xantrex has modes on and standby. There is no 'off' via the power button. Deselecting the power button is meant to put it into standby mode and the display stays on. This was the case until one day after the inverter cycled itself in the middle of a drive for no reason the inverter now turns off. If plugged into shore power or generator depressing or pressing the power button the inverter stays on. When ignition is on or when not on shore power, using battery depressing the power button, instead of standby turns off the inverter (Yes I know there is an option for ignition just giving full details, plus the options aren't changeable (see first issue).

For this issue both buttons at the remote panel and the inverter itself are depressed to standby.

If you have seen anything like this before and can help I would appreciate it. One thing I liked about the Xantrex is that it doesn't turn off it just goes to standby with a pulse to look for power 'asks if you will' like the TVs let's say. Now that the inverter is set to factory defaults I need to be able to change the options to the right battery type and such....

I hope I was detailed enough and didn't miss anything. I have plenty of video captured showing that I'm attempting settings changes right and I have demonstrated these issues multiple times to other folks (at the dealer).

Thank you,

Hank
teamah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2022, 02:57 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Hi Hank,

Seems like you are at your wit's end with your Xantrex unit. I have many Magnum inverter/chargers and would give you a screaming deal on any of my used ones if you are interested. Send me an email to: 4rvsolar@gmail.com if you are interested.

Thanks!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2022, 03:34 PM   #3
Rivet... Rivet...

2022 Interstate 19
Portland , Oregon
Hi Hank,
I have a virtually identical situation, with a few additional pieces of info:
2022 Interstate 19, same inverter, same Bluetooth panel upgrade.
Before I upgraded the panel, I had called Battleborn tech support to inquire about the optimal settings. Airstream just used the lithium preset. Battleborn suggested I would get better results using custom settings. In particular, the amperage setting on the charger was 25 amps and they said 50 amps was much more appropriate. There were other minor tweaks they suggested as well.
I upgraded the panel, and had similar issues. It would simply not allow me to change the battery type. There were a couple of settings that it did allow, but not the important ones. I tried through the app, directly on the panel, and directly on the inverter.
I was able to reach tech support at Xantrex, but their only suggestion was to reset the unit by completely disconnecting it from power for 2 hours. As far as I can determine, the only way to do that is to remove the passenger seat, which I haven’t yet had time to do. The circuit breaker labeled Inverter/Converter doesn’t actually remove power from it. It only keeps it from being automatically activated when connecting shore power.
I plan to try that as soon as time and weather permits, because it should nearly double the charging rate when connected to shore power or using the generator.
Tweaking the MPPT to Battleborn’s suggested settings dramatically improved my results with solar.
DavePDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2022, 08:55 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2022 Interstate 24GT
Boston , Massachusetts
Hi Dave - Thank you - I feel less crazy now especially after "are you sure you're doing it right?" Yes...I'm doing it right.

I will try the 2 hours of disconnect and see what happens. I'm hoping I can just push for a replacement since I've only had this unit 3 months there's no reason for me to pay any money for another inverter or to get it fixed. I have a link from Battleborn about the MPPT settings. Can I assume those suggested settings are the ones you're referring to? As soon as I swap out my blue solar for smart solar controller I'll adjust those settings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePDX View Post
Hi Hank,
I have a virtually identical situation, with a few additional pieces of info:
2022 Interstate 19, same inverter, same Bluetooth panel upgrade.
Before I upgraded the panel, I had called Battleborn tech support to inquire about the optimal settings. Airstream just used the lithium preset. Battleborn suggested I would get better results using custom settings. In particular, the amperage setting on the charger was 25 amps and they said 50 amps was much more appropriate. There were other minor tweaks they suggested as well.
I upgraded the panel, and had similar issues. It would simply not allow me to change the battery type. There were a couple of settings that it did allow, but not the important ones. I tried through the app, directly on the panel, and directly on the inverter.
I was able to reach tech support at Xantrex, but their only suggestion was to reset the unit by completely disconnecting it from power for 2 hours. As far as I can determine, the only way to do that is to remove the passenger seat, which I haven’t yet had time to do. The circuit breaker labeled Inverter/Converter doesn’t actually remove power from it. It only keeps it from being automatically activated when connecting shore power.
I plan to try that as soon as time and weather permits, because it should nearly double the charging rate when connected to shore power or using the generator.
Tweaking the MPPT to Battleborn’s suggested settings dramatically improved my results with solar.
Old 12-30-2022, 10:12 AM   #5
Rivet... Rivet...

2022 Interstate 19
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by teamah View Post
Hi Dave - Thank you - I feel less crazy now especially after "are you sure you're doing it right?" Yes...I'm doing it right.
Yes, I totally understand. Changing settings with the panel is very awkward, so it’s easy to think maybe you’re doing it wrong, but no, it just seems locked on certain settings. Most importantly, the battery type can’t be changed, which as a preset, might logically lock many other settings.

Quote:
I will try the 2 hours of disconnect and see what happens. I'm hoping I can just push for a replacement since I've only had this unit 3 months there's no reason for me to pay any money for another inverter or to get it fixed.
I feel the same way, but since my dealer is hours away and backed up, having them replace it is a last resort for me.

Quote:
I have a link from Battleborn about the MPPT settings. Can I assume those suggested settings are the ones you're referring to? As soon as I swap out my blue solar for smart solar controller I'll adjust those settings.
Yes, the settings on the BB website are fine.
I added the Bluetooth dongle instead of replacing the controller, but either way, a very worthwhile upgrade. That and adding the SmartShunt are two of the best upgrades I’ve made. Now I can actually see what’s happening with my power!

Hope the reset works!
Old 02-27-2023, 08:13 PM   #6
Rivet... Rivet...

2022 Interstate 19
Portland , Oregon
Reviving this somewhat old thread with new info. I finally decided to replace the Xantrex 1000 with a Xantrex 2000. With a custom bracket it was able to fit under the passenger seat in the same spot. My microwave and all outlets now run off the inverter, the batteries charge 3x faster and the bluetooth controller works perfectly to tweak the settings. I'll return the defective unit to Xantrex for an exchange, and then sell the new unit.
Old 04-25-2023, 12:30 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2022 Interstate 24GT
Boston , Massachusetts
Hello! - I just saw this sorry about that - Interestingly enough I got the dealer to OK a swap out of the inverter under warrently after Airstream and the dealer agreeing something wasn't working right. So they got it in changed the options. When I went to pick it up I was checking things out so I went to change some options both on the inverter itself and the app. Most of the options are back to being locked in and the inverter shuts off instead of going to standby again. This makes me believe there's something else causing this to happen that I don't see or understand....

I also saw another post with someone that put in a 3000w and that is interesting as well.

Was the 2000 more or less just a drop in for you? Any Gotchas? Also was this the 2000 pro or just the 2000? For the Microwave and outlets did you just bridge the connections at the circuit breaker? I think the wiring would be tremendous otherwise...

Sorry about the late reply and thank you for yours.
Old 04-25-2023, 01:23 PM   #8
Rivet... Rivet...

2022 Interstate 19
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
<snip>
Was the 2000 more or less just a drop in for you? Any Gotchas? Also was this the 2000 pro or just the 2000? For the Microwave and outlets did you just bridge the connections at the circuit breaker? I think the wiring would be tremendous otherwise...
I had a 3rd party replace it, because it was such a tight fit. I wanted to use the same location and not lose any space in the rear. They had to build a custom bracket and upsize the power wires, but same controller/wiring worked. Just the regular 2000, not Pro.

Xantrex agreed to a warranty repair/exchange and even sent me a return box and shipping label. Once I get the working unit back, I’ll sell it.

While many people recommended a 3000 watt unit, I decided against that because it would have been a major project, involving relocating it in the rear garage, and losing valuable space.

I’m thrilled with the result. I can run the microwave or AC (not simultaneously), use any outlet, and the batteries charge 3x faster when on shore or generator power.

I was able to change the settings to the Battleborn/ Xantrex recommendations without issue on the new unit.