Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar > Batteries, Univolts, Converters & Inverters
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-30-2013, 11:00 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
The 2014's optional inverter is a sine wave 1000 watt model, which feeds dedicated outlets. The old small microwave I put in my rig takes 70 amps at 12 volts when powered by the inverter. I installed a Tri Metric energy monitoring system to determine that. (about $200) Since I only use it for a couple of minutes at a time to heat things up or defrost something, it works very well for me and does not take much energy from the batteries. Lots of power (the 70 amps) but for a short time, thus little actual energy.

My toaster works the same way, but take 87 amps input to the inverter. But nice toast is worth it.

I upgraded the Paralax converter/charger unit to a Progressive Dynamics three stage one, and that keeps the batteries up full when plugged in. (about $200)

I have put two 100 watt solar panels on the roof, and they feed a Blue Sky MPPT charge controller for when I am out on the road. (Panels were $320 for the pair, controller was about $200, various pieces and parts another $75)

The next and last change will be a set of 6 volt golf cart batteries to replace the group 24 Interstate 12 volt ones which came with the trailer, but for now they are working well. The battery box must be modified to hold the golf cart batteries as they are taller than the group 24's but that is not hard to do.

So, if you boondock and are electrically handy, $1000 will upgrade the electrical system and then another $200 for batteries and you will have a good, state of the art system. Now remember the 2014's optional inverter is 1000 watts, while the earlier ones were only 600 watts.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 06:20 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2013 22' FB Sport
College Place , Washington
The Sports don't have an inverter option, so I got to start from scratch
morgandc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 12:14 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodsterinfl View Post
The solution N2916s might be a good choice. The first/second week of Dec I installed an inverter under my couch - one of these: Power Inverter, Pure Sine Wave Inverter, Marine Inverter, PROwatt SW

It supposedly has a 93% effieicency inversion. It was a bit more than attaching it though. I had to run these large wires from the batteries through the coach to the inverter and a circuit breaker. It requires a lot of battery to use as it shuts off at 10 volts and so far it reads 12.5 - 13 watts with fully charged batteries. There is a series of calculations you can use to consider how much power you can use for how long etc. It cost me about $300 to do it all myself. I would still consider the 300 watt plug in SINE type. The modulated type would not work with my Tele so I the sine type of output was needed. I have two heavy duty extension cords to run from the outlets on the inverter. That way it is separate from the trailer system completely.
Rodsterinfl, I'm about to install the same inverter in my 16' Sport and would love to hear more about how you did the wiring. Was it difficult to thread the cables through the coach wall? Where did you place the fuse? I've heard lots of conflicting advice about attaching a ground to the chassis. What did you do?
Thanks!
goofus delux is offline   Reply With Quote