Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-22-2020, 08:33 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2016 25' International
Steamboat Springs , Colorado
installing victron bmv 712

Need advice installing Victron BMV 712 in my 2016 25 International RB.I am going to install the shunt in the cabinet under the dinette street side where the battery cables enter the interior of the trailer.My plan is to splice into the negative 4 awg.cable going to the inverter and the 6 awg. going to the buss bar.Also have a Zamp briefcase solar panel wired thru an plugin in battery box.I assume that I must attach both negatives to the battery side of the shunt including a separate neg. wire from the Zamp solar panel,and the load side back to the inverter.Correct?Does anyone have a diagram or pic of such an install?Thanks
tamifailla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 10:12 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Hartsburg , Missouri
The easiest way to connect it is to take all of the neagtive cables currently going to your battery and put them on the load side of the shunt then get a single new battery cable to go from the shunt to the negative terminal on your battery.-- Frank
Equalizer Hitch
fran&frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 10:20 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
See above. all power needs to go through the shunt
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 01:30 PM   #4
30' 1999 Excella

Kingwood , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Tin Diesel
Inaccessible negative cables?

I want to add a Victron monitor to my 1999 30' Classic. The difficulty is getting access to the negative cables out of the batteries.

In this model, my two batteries are inside the trailer underneath either side of the front gaucho - so they are about 4 feet apart. They are accessed from the outside via two separate doors (see photo). Inside the door is a fully enclosed plastic box to keep battery gasses from getting into the trailer (I now use AGM).

Everything pretty much comes together in the center of the trailer behind the gaucho, on the inside of the front bulkhead and on the floor.

The positive cables come together on a bus bar (?), along with the positive from the converter. They run in the open and I can track these cables easily.

However, the two negatives from the batteries are routed behind the bulkhead and only come together at the 12V Distribution Panel (also behind the gaucho). See photo. You can see the curbside one coming in at the bottom (thick black). The streetside one comes in on the other side (but you can't see it). I'm pretty sure one of the white cables is from the converter.

I cannot figure out how to isolate all of these grounds and make them go through the Victron shunt... without some major dismantling and extra 'stuff'.

Suggestions would be appreciated.

I'm also adding a Zamp 180W panel to reduce some of the generator time when we're on multi-week boondocking trips. It looks like I can pretty easily add the Zamp connector and run one wire to the positive side of one battery and the other to the negative side of the other battery (I think this is a correct way).

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Access Panels.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	190.3 KB
ID:	375767   Click image for larger version

Name:	12V panel.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	186.8 KB
ID:	375768  

Old 08-22-2020, 05:59 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2020 30’ Globetrotter
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by fran&frank View Post
The easiest way to connect it is to take all of the neagtive cables currently going to your battery and put them on the load side of the shunt then get a single new battery cable to go from the shunt to the negative terminal on your battery.-- Frank
And if you have two batteries?
mkaiseraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 07:48 PM   #6
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Our battery set-up is the same, two compartments with both neg cables going to the neg buss bar.
I removed them from the buss bar connected them together at the input side of the shunt and ran a 4g wire from the output of the shunt to the neg bar.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 08-22-2020, 10:58 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2020 30’ Globetrotter
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Our battery set-up is the same, two compartments with both neg cables going to the neg buss bar.
I removed them from the buss bar connected them together at the input side of the shunt and ran a 4g wire from the output of the shunt to the neg bar.

Bob
🇺🇸
So a 2g wire would be ok, I presume. ????
mkaiseraz is offline   Reply With Quote