Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar > Generators & Solar Power
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-05-2019, 05:43 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
New Hudson , Michigan
Wiring diagram for 2018 30FB Bunk...

Hey guys, so I have a 30FC FB Bunk model, and was considering installing the Zamp Solar panels as it appear to be "pre-wired" for this as part of the OEM optional package. Called the mothership but they want $2200 for the install + new AGM batteries. I've done a ton of 12v electrical work before so doing the install myself doesn't scare me, but I'm having a hard time finding a wiring diagram that shows the pre-wiring for the solar on the rig. I can tell where the plugs are on the roof are, but have no idea where they run and where the solar charger/monitor would be mounted. I'm assuming this all runs down behind the refrigerator but can't find any wiring diagrams in my owners manuals to confirm that.

Looked through several threads here to no avail so wondering if anyone knows where to start? TIA. -Eric
ekbruster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 12:50 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
Pleasanton , California
If you download the manual for the 2018 Flying Cloud you'll find a section describing the pre-wiring and solar panel connections and a description of where to find the CAT5 cable that connects the solar charger to the remote monitor panel.
ProPride Hitch, 400 W Solar
alano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 09:39 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2017 30' Flying Cloud
George Town , Grand Cayman
Hi there, we have a 2017 Bunk and believe the wiring has remained the same in newer models. Take a look under the front bed, starboard/curbside. The solar pre-wire kit normally drops two wires from the roof box here along with the CAT-5 cable for the remote monitor panel which would normally be installed on the kitchen wall just under the GFCI plugs. Typically the solar charge controller will get wired into the positive and ground/return bus bars found in the under-bed nest. Double and triple-check the polarity with a meter.

We were pre-wired for solar but did everything ourselves.

As for batteries, I would suggest looking at a couple of 6V AGM batteries in series in lieu of 2 x 12V. BatteriesPlus Bulbs has a good deal on 6V 200Ah Duracell batteries which should fit the battery box without modifications and withouth a significant increase in tongue weight.

As for solar, Zamp never impressed me, but we did have a dealer install another Zamp box at the front and run 8awg wire down to the wiring nest. Note that the factory normally uses 10awg wire for the main run which is pretty long - maybe 50'. We chose to use a single large solar charge controller, Victron 150/70 Smartsolar MPPT that supports up to 1000W @ 12V. We currently have five roof-mounted 100W Renogy Eclipse panels (room for two more) and two ground deployed, 100W Sunpower flexible panels. We'll likely end up with one more roof panel and one more ground panel to round out our system. We rewired the Zamp external connector to run directly into our Victron charge controller.

The roof panels are mounted on AMsolar rocker feet which are glued to the roof. We purchased bulk marine grade duplex wire, lots of MC4 connectors and made all our cables to length. We made our own tilt bars using bulk aluminum bars from a local hardware store.

That's the high-level overview. It's a pretty easy job overall. Our IG account has some more photos of the process - @alltheplaces2go.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DJI_0122.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	311.1 KB
ID:	343119   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8568.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	412.7 KB
ID:	343120  

seanslatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 03:34 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
New Hudson , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanslatt View Post
Hi there, we have a 2017 Bunk and believe the wiring has remained the same in newer models. Take a look under the front bed, starboard/curbside. The solar pre-wire kit normally drops two wires from the roof box here along with the CAT-5 cable for the remote monitor panel which would normally be installed on the kitchen wall just under the GFCI plugs. Typically the solar charge controller will get wired into the positive and ground/return bus bars found in the under-bed nest. Double and triple-check the polarity with a meter.

We were pre-wired for solar but did everything ourselves.

As for batteries, I would suggest looking at a couple of 6V AGM batteries in series in lieu of 2 x 12V. BatteriesPlus Bulbs has a good deal on 6V 200Ah Duracell batteries which should fit the battery box without modifications and withouth a significant increase in tongue weight.

As for solar, Zamp never impressed me, but we did have a dealer install another Zamp box at the front and run 8awg wire down to the wiring nest. Note that the factory normally uses 10awg wire for the main run which is pretty long - maybe 50'. We chose to use a single large solar charge controller, Victron 150/70 Smartsolar MPPT that supports up to 1000W @ 12V. We currently have five roof-mounted 100W Renogy Eclipse panels (room for two more) and two ground deployed, 100W Sunpower flexible panels. We'll likely end up with one more roof panel and one more ground panel to round out our system. We rewired the Zamp external connector to run directly into our Victron charge controller.

The roof panels are mounted on AMsolar rocker feet which are glued to the roof. We purchased bulk marine grade duplex wire, lots of MC4 connectors and made all our cables to length. We made our own tilt bars using bulk aluminum bars from a local hardware store.

That's the high-level overview. It's a pretty easy job overall. Our IG account has some more photos of the process - @alltheplaces2go.

Thanks, that helped a lot and I did finally see the wiring diagrams at the back of the manual, for some reason the PDF search couldn't find "solar" in my lazy attempt to quickly find it. So this all looks a lot easier now. So two quick questions, what epoxy did you use to glue the brackets down, and what's the make of that dish mounted on top? Looks like you could may control mars rovers with that thing? LOL, but I am truly interested in what your using for the satellite receiver. Thanks again!
ekbruster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 01:37 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2017 30' Flying Cloud
George Town , Grand Cayman
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekbruster View Post
Thanks, that helped a lot and I did finally see the wiring diagrams at the back of the manual, for some reason the PDF search couldn't find "solar" in my lazy attempt to quickly find it. So this all looks a lot easier now. So two quick questions, what epoxy did you use to glue the brackets down, and what's the make of that dish mounted on top? Looks like you could may control mars rovers with that thing? LOL, but I am truly interested in what your using for the satellite receiver. Thanks again!
The AMsolar 35mm Rocker Feet kit comes standard with 3M VHB 4950 tape. All you need is to clean the roof well before sticking it down. We then sealed around it using Sikaflex 221. It was recommended to double the feet on leading-edge of the front panels to provide extra strength as these bear the brunt of the wind shear while driving.

We've seen some installations that use taller feet so that the panels are parallel to the ground but we preferred the more streamlined option which allows for better drainage.

If you're interested I can provide our entire BOM.

As for the dish, it's a satellite Internet rig from RVDataSat. At .84m, its the smallest they have and I think the only one that fits on an Airstream! As long as we have a clear line of sight S/SW to the Galaxy 3C bird at 95W (approximately over the Galapagos), I can get online and work. In Florida, the dish elevation is 45 degrees or more but up in the Arctic, we were only around 5 degrees, barely above the horizon.
seanslatt is offline   Reply With Quote