Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-11-2005, 08:31 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
Generator Question

I'm looking at the Honda 2000i, and we have a 1968 Overlander.

Help....I'm not exactly clear on how a generator will work. Do you plug the trailer cord directly into the generator, and run it a few hours to charge the battery? Do the outlets work, while it it running?
We live for the moment, 'cause when you get there, it's gone...
ScrapIrony-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 08:39 PM   #2
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Yes and yes

The outlets on the genset are live while it is running. Once you plug the trailer into it the outlets in the trailer will be live as well. The main issue is to not overload the genset buy creating too much of a draw. You will not be able to run the roof AC on a single 2000 series Honda genset.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 08:49 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Yup..

Brett is correct, though a few more details might help...

1. You will need adapter to plug round 30 Amp plug into standard outlets on side of generator. Side of generator is equivalent to home wall outlet for 110V power, with similar 20 Amp rating, more or less...

2. Depending on trailer, power supply/Univolt will recharge battery(s) while plugged in and generator running, though Honda also makes special cable with plug on generator that delivers 12V charging current directly to battery terminals. It's not included with standard generator, but can be used to speed battery charging.

3. Depending on fridge, many Dometic "smart" refigerators will also flip from propane to electric operation while generator running, and flip back when generator stops..

4. Other 110V appliances like coffee maker, hair dryer, TV, toaster and microwave will also work well with Honda eu2000 running, not so well with smaller eu1000 model (at least not all at once.. )...

5. If you need Air Conditioning away from big outlets, Honda and others sell "kit" to run 2 eu2000's together, and provide enough power for A/C.. Airstream and Coleman make clear that running A/C on inadequate power may appear to work, but startup electrical loads can do permanent harm to compressor motor and circuits in A/C, and be very costly...

John McG

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 08:59 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Got the wife one for Christmas She'll really like it when we don't have AC to hookup. I considered a 3000 but they are far too heavy. I'll get another 2000 if I really need air. Mine started up right away and it really it quiet. Putting the oil in is a little tricky and a funnel with a small but long spout is very helpful. They are really make nice.
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 09:20 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
Thanks! It sounds like we'll need the "parallel" for AC weather (it's hard to think AC with all this snow), but one should be fine for lights, radio, and coffeemaker.
Old 01-12-2005, 09:36 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Tracy

Speaking of snow - heard you guys got 101 inches of snow in the last 11 days! Thats a lot of shoveling - anyway hope all is well.

Ken
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 10:17 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
Depending upon your AC and your ability to turn off everything else, you might be able to run it with a Honda 2000si - some folks have but it depends on altitude, AC compressor startup needs, and other things. So , for AC runs a parallel pair is better. Even a 3000si can have trouble starting an AC (personal experience) depending upon hookup and other factors.

As far as charging, you should avoid using either the converter or the 12v output on the genset if you want fast charging. These are constant voltage current limited chargers. A good three stage charger (such as the Intellepower with Charge Wizard or the better inverter based chargers or a dedicated smart charger) will bring the battery up much much faster.

Also keep in mind that a genset (generator and motor) needs regular exercise for good health. Sitting for months on end can make for difficult starting or gummed up fuel system. The manual usually has recommendations.
bryanl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 07:28 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
Snow? Not here. Dagbabit, since it started to warm up the grass is greening back up. May have to mow the lawn again.

That EU2000i is a fantastic generator, ours really paid for itself during the hurricanes, keeping the fridge, lights, tv and sat dish going. I am going to convert mine to propane. It is a real pain having to refuel every 8-9 hours.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 08:49 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
Pick & Ken,

I'm longing for a little green. We're heading to Quartsite next week, so I should get some. Thank goodness we stored our trailer out near Bayfield. We'd never get it out! Michael was several hours just digging out the truck!

I've never known Hwy 550 to be closed more than a few hours, but we're on the third day.
Old 01-12-2005, 09:32 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Honda Generators

Don't forget to look on e-bay for these generators. I've spotted many while looking for a BIG one for our answering service. We ended up buying locally retail (boo-hoo), but we got a UPS battery backup unit that normally sells for $8000 for a mere $1000 - still in the factory shrinkwrap. (cha-ching)
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 09:49 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Tracy

May have to delay your trip a bit - all roads getting out of Silverton are closed - I would love to see some green grass.

Ken
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 10:57 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Western , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over59
Got the wife one for Christmas I considered a 3000 but they are far too heavy. Putting the oil in is a little tricky and a funnel with a small but long spout is very helpful. They are really made nice.
I have a Honda 3000 and consider it just right....my wife and I can load it into the back of our Chevy Avalanche together with ease. It has rollers, so all you need to do is roll it to the back of the Avalanche, hoist it up into the pickup and secure it to the side panel for travel. It stays in position during operation in the back of the truck and exhaust fumes exit out the top after one panel is removed. It has provided AC power for AS Rally in Sisters, OR and has been handy boondocking in NF & BLM campsites. Only one generator to maintain. Agree with filling the oil.....a bit unhandy even with the 3000.

Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2268.JPG
Views:	156
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	10076  

2017 28' Signature CCD

2017 GMC Denali HD Crew Cab 4x4
Blue Ox Sway Pro Hitch

WBCCI #3538
jordandvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 03:55 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2004 22' International CCD
Spotsylvania , Virginia
I also have a Honda EU-3000is with a wheel kit, just like Jim's. I load it into my pickup truck with an aluminum ATV/motorcycle ramp. I have a truck cap to protect it from weather and for security. I also use a Kryptonite cable lock for added protection.

It is quiet while it charges my battery. I have also used it to start and run my 13.5K BTU air conditioner on my 22' CCD. No problems! I'm not sure it will work on a larger unit though.
2004 22' CCD
1997 F-150
TAC VA-12
AIR# 4749
ex WBCCI# 1430
rseagle is offline   Reply With Quote