Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar > Generators & Solar Power
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-05-2018, 05:54 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Fanwood , New Jersey
So if we run 13500BTU AC on our 2016FC23D with Champion 3400W (It appears it generates 3060W on propane), how long can we run it with 30 lbs propane tank x 2?
Atsushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 07:54 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by grizbear View Post
I had a champion 3500/4000 unit it was loud and voltage was variable bouncing between 118v and 122v and by that I mean the voltage was always moving never steady. I was worried that would damage the A/C or it wouldn't be safe to charge phones or computer so I sold it and bought a Honda. Good camping
Then it was a regular generator, not an inverter. Champion makes both.
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2018 Nissan Armada SL Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 07:56 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmbndn View Post
It looks like people have had success with this Champion generator. I'm in the market as well and I am looking at the 3500 Dual fuel http://www.cabelas.com/product/CHAMP...EN/2236537.uts

It looks like it is only available at Cabela's or Camping World. To those of you that have used this model, what kind of experiences do you have with your Domestic AC systems? We have a 2016 Flying Cloud with 2 AC units. I know it will only run 1 unit and that is exactly what we are looking for. We plan on boondocking about half the time but we want to make sure we can at least use the one AC on those hot/humid days.

Thanks for all of your help!
I ran my 15K BTU AC on this model over 9 hours on a single 20lb propane tank. Love it.
Old 01-05-2018, 07:57 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atsushi View Post
So if we run 13500BTU AC on our 2016FC23D with Champion 3400W (It appears it generates 3060W on propane), how long can we run it with 30 lbs propane tank x 2?
Depends on how often the compressor run (the temp), but I’d say 24-36 hours straight. Several days if you manage it only running it a night, etc.
Old 01-05-2018, 11:14 AM   #25
3 Rivet Member

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Fanwood , New Jersey
I'm more and more interested in this generator (Champion Duel Fuel).

To run this on propane though, what looks like propane regulator is on the hose where it connects to a propane tank. Can this connection be accomplished without removing a tank from its housing?

If so, don't we need a little longer hose than what comes with the generator, assuming AS is hitched to TV and generator is on the back of TV?

It would be cool if low pressure port (for BBQ) can be used, but if it's just a matter of opening up the propane tank housing and connect the hose without removing the tank from the housing, I think it's easy enough.

Thanks,

Atsushi
Old 01-05-2018, 11:51 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Quote:

To run this on propane though, what looks like propane regulator is on the hose where it connects to a propane tank. Can this connection be accomplished without removing a tank from its housing?

If so, don't we need a little longer hose than what comes with the generator, assuming AS is hitched to TV and generator is on the back of TV?

It would be cool if low pressure port (for BBQ) can be used, but if it's just a matter of opening up the propane tank housing and connect the hose without removing the tank from the housing, I think it's easy enough.

Thanks,

Atsushi
The propane hose and adapter that comes with the Dual-Fuel Invertor set is very short, only 18-24 inches (I forget) long. It actually has TWO regulators on it. The small one with the tank fitting, which is a high pressure regulator, is connected via a short brass threaded adapter to the larger, low pressure regulator that provides fuel to the engine.

It is possible to disassemble the two regulators, and connect a male quick-connect fitting to the brass adapter that should be left in the low pressure regulator. Then the low pressure regulator can be fed from the port on the Airstream. Several have done this. Search around for details.

NOTE: You cannot and must not disconnect the hose from the low pressure regulator. It is the right length and diameter to make the system work, and has a proprietary connector on the end that plugs into the generator.

If you want to extend the reach of the supplied hose, work from the input of the low pressure regulator. I rigged up a set of quick-connects, an extension hose, and modified both regulators to accept connections direct to a propane tank, or accommodate a 12 foot quick-connect extension to the port, or use the extension between the two original regulators. Except for the quick connect fittings, the parts are available in the brass plumbing adapter area of the usual big box home improvement stores, or your local propane dealer can make something up for you...

Because my AS did not have a port for a BBQ grill, I went with a set of 3/8" quick connect fittings to get better gas flow, and went with a 3/8" extension hose. This may well be a bit of overkill for this size generator, but that's the way I tend to roll...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 12:02 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Cave Creek , Arizona
Quote:

Thanks,

Atsushi

I have the Champion duel fuel and built the setup using the low-pressure port as you were asking about. You don’t use the regulator that came with the Champion. Just buy a propane extension hose with the quick-connect fittings (or pick up the fittings from Home Depot and put them on any propane hose) and connect directly to the Champion from the low-pressure port. On my trailer I have to set the low-pressure valve somewhere between 2/3rds and 3/4ths “on” and everything runs. There are a few threads on the forum on this subject. Some people had to set the valve higher and lower and some people couldn’t get it to work
Pete B55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 12:10 PM   #28
Rivet Master

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete B55 View Post
I have the Champion duel fuel and built the setup using the low-pressure port as you were asking about. You don’t use the regulator that came with the Champion. Just buy a propane extension hose with the quick-connect fittings (or pick up the fittings from Home Depot and put them on any propane hose) and connect directly to the Champion from the low-pressure port. On my trailer I have to set the low-pressure valve somewhere between 2/3rds and 3/4ths “on” and everything runs. There are a few threads on the forum on this subject. Some people had to set the valve higher and lower and some people couldn’t get it to work
The reason for having a touchy valve setting that may or may not work at different altitudes is that the Champion regulator set is designed to work properly with the generator. Use the regulator and hose that comes with the Champion and adapt the input of the larger ('low pressure') regulator to your supply quick connect. This arrangement works EVERY time...see my prior post explaining the correct way to modify it. Post #26 above...
Old 01-05-2018, 12:19 PM   #29
3 Rivet Member

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Fanwood , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
The propane hose and adapter that comes with the Dual-Fuel Invertor set is very short, only 18-24 inches (I forget) long. It actually has TWO regulators on it. The small one with the tank fitting, which is a high pressure regulator, is connected via a short brass threaded adapter to the larger, low pressure regulator that provides fuel to the engine.

It is possible to disassemble the two regulators, and connect a male quick-connect fitting to the brass adapter that should be left in the low pressure regulator. Then the low pressure regulator can be fed from the port on the Airstream. Several have done this. Search around for details.

NOTE: You cannot and must not disconnect the hose from the low pressure regulator. It is the right length and diameter to make the system work, and has a proprietary connector on the end that plugs into the generator.

If you want to extend the reach of the supplied hose, work from the input of the low pressure regulator. I rigged up a set of quick-connects, an extension hose, and modified both regulators to accept connections direct to a propane tank, or accommodate a 12 foot quick-connect extension to the port, or use the extension between the two original regulators. Except for the quick connect fittings, the parts are available in the brass plumbing adapter area of the usual big box home improvement stores, or your local propane dealer can make something up for you...

Because my AS did not have a port for a BBQ grill, I went with a set of 3/8" quick connect fittings to get better gas flow, and went with a 3/8" extension hose. This may well be a bit of overkill for this size generator, but that's the way I tend to roll...
https://www.dropbox.com/s/vham6revuh...stion.jpg?dl=0

Thanks for your suggestion. This is my understanding. Am I correct?
Old 01-05-2018, 12:22 PM   #30
Rivet Master

Corona , California
Couldn't get to the dropbox from where I am, can you insert the contents or PM me without using dropbox?

Otherwise I can reply from home later this evening...
Old 01-05-2018, 12:33 PM   #31
3 Rivet Member

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Fanwood , New Jersey
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	question.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	301906  
Old 01-05-2018, 10:14 PM   #32
4 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
2020 25' International
Clinton , Land of Purple Mtn Majesty,Montana
I have recently added this genie to my equipment. Since buying it we have had 4 power outages due to a snowstorm that just wouldn't quit and dropped over 2 feet of snow here in the western rockies. I have found that relying on the genie to provide basic power to a few items that we can't do without for long really gives added value to my purchase. I thought long and hard about configuring it to run off the coaches propane tanks but find it so much simpler to to just get an extra tank and use the accessories that came with the generator. I can put it anywhere I want to and not have to worry about hose lengths. As someone has already said it will fit in the bed of our truck and when not in use it is out of sight tucked away under the bedcover. When I need it....all I have to do is roll back the cover and I'm good to go. It seems the older I get the simpler the better.
Rpatrick16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 06:15 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2023 23' International
Macon , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpatrick16 View Post
I thought long and hard about configuring it to run off the coaches propane tanks but find it so much simpler to to just get an extra tank and use the accessories that came with the generator. I can put it anywhere I want to and not have to worry about hose lengths. As someone has already said it will fit in the bed of our truck and when not in use it is out of sight tucked away under the bedcover. When I need it....all I have to do is roll back the cover and I'm good to go. It seems the older I get the simpler the better.
Same here. I actually had a long hose made up to connect to the Airstream low pressure port. I found it much easier to just use a 20lb tank in a milk crate secured in the bed. One less thing to deal with and extends the life of the propane on the Airstream.
Roadtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 09:37 PM   #34
Rivet Master

Corona , California
Ok, finally got time to take some pictures of the setup I came up with. Here is the extension hose:

Name:	Image1515472383.109047.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	278.7 KB
ID:	302138

The hose comes with a 3/8 male fitting crimped on one end of the hose, and a 3/8 female flare fitting on the other end. I added s 3/8 male flare to 1/2 male pipe adapter to the female quick connector fitting.

NOTE: you are working with propane. Use the yellow Teflon tape (thicker) rated for fuels on all connections. Make sure no Teflon tape ends up inside any of the parts, especially the regulator input ports.

The white Teflon stuff is only for water fittings.
Old 01-08-2018, 09:42 PM   #35
Rivet Master

Corona , California
Here is the smaller, high pressure regulator with a standard tank fitting as it comes from the factory:

Name:	Image1515472737.369496.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	262.9 KB
ID:	302139

The output port has been carefully unscrewed from the larger low pressure regulator. Into the port goes a 1/8 pipe thread nipple, a 1/8 female to 1/2” adapter, and then the female quick connector.

Note: these are smallish parts. Do not lift a tank or get rough on the fittings on this regulator unless you like breaking things off and causing major propane leaks.
Old 01-08-2018, 09:52 PM   #36
Rivet Master

Corona , California
Champion Dual Fuel Generator - What do you think?

Here is the low pressure (larger) regulator that supplies the right amount of propane to the generator input port. The black hose end plugs into the generator. Note that it’s a MALE fitting with no check valve. Plug this into the generator before you connect propane anywhere. (Makes me cringe on the obvious design issue). Apparently the designer is using the female quick connector on the generator to prevent backflow. Sigh.

Name:	Image1515473207.906332.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	314.9 KB
ID:	302140

Note the output port. The first brass fitting on the regulator output port came with the regulator. The part that screws in is probably metric. I couldn’t match it, so it stays. It has an o-ring and pipe dope on it for a seal. Put a wrench on the hex, and unscrew the high pressure regulator. I was able to do it by hand. There is a bracket that keeps the high pressure regulator from turning, remove that part FIRST. I stashed it on a different part of the low pressure regulator. I added a 1/8 female to 1/2 male adapter. The adapter went into the female quick connector first, then I carefully screwed that assembly onto the low pressure regulator output port.
Old 01-08-2018, 09:59 PM   #37
Rivet Master

Corona , California

This can be put together two ways. I’m putting a 3/8 female quick connector on the Airstream gas piping near the tanks on the A-frame, with a manual shutoff valve behind it.

I can then connect the hose, and put the generator at least 10-12 feet away, and run off the AS ranks.

The other way is directly from a portable tank, using the high pressure regulator and the optional extension hose connected to the low pressure regulator as originally supplied.

Note that all my adds have the female quick connector on the supply side of gas flow, so disconnecting stops gas flow immediately for safety.

The extension hose and matching quick connector sets were found using a quick search on Amazon. The rest of the parts, and yellow Teflon tape came from my local big box home improvement store. All the parts are made from brass.

FOR SAFETY: Test all connections under propane pressure with the generator turned off with a soap solution or a gas leak detection probe EVERY TIME BEFORE starting the generator. Being in the center of a propane fireball is no fun. Don’t ask how I know this.

DISCLAIMER: As always, I am not a certified propane supplier, technician, or a gas system trained plumber, and this is offered only as a discussion of how I laid it out for my use. No guarantees, express or implied warranty or assumption of liability is provided on my part. You are on your own should you choose to try any of this. YMMV.
Old 01-08-2018, 10:25 PM   #38
Rivet Master

Corona , California

Atsushi, For the parts you showed, the black extension hose assembly seems to have a small DOT-type propane disposable cylinder adapter on the end opposite the male quick connector that mates to the existing AS propane port.

That adapter can hopefully can be unscrewed and adapted to the input of the larger low pressure regulator. I have no clue as to thread sizes on the extension hose.

In any case, be sure to use the low pressure regulator that came with the generator so it will perform correctly.

I used 3/8 extension hose and matching 3/8 quick connector fittings to be sure the generator will not be starved for propane under high flow and heavy load conditions. The longer the hose, the more fittings, the more pressure drops, especially with propane or natural gas, as I understand it.

Remember to put appropriate caps and plugs in unused or open quick connector fittings to keep dirt, insects, and moisture out of your propane system and accessories.

NOTE : DO NOT use Teflon tape on ANY flare fittings. It’s not needed and will screw then up. Put them together dry and torque properly so they do not distort, break, or leak. Check for leaks every time you set up to use propane.

Like I said elsewhere, i definitely tend to err on the side of engineering overkill on most of my projects in my AS.

Gads, I hate doing this on my phone, but it’s the only way to get pictures in here easily. Please excuse any typos!
Old 01-09-2018, 07:04 AM   #39
3 Rivet Member

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Fanwood , New Jersey
Wow. There is a lot here. Thank you very very much for sharing this. I highly appreciate it.

Atsushi
Old 01-09-2018, 09:54 AM   #40
Rivet Master

Corona , California
Oops!

Just spotted a typo...in post #36 above...

I said, "Note the output port. The first brass fitting on the regulator output port came with the regulator."

SHOULD READ: "Note the INPUT port. The first brass fitting on the LOW PRESSURE regulator INPUT port came with the regulator."

I'm claiming verbal dyslexia...and a small iPhone screen late at night...