Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-09-2009, 05:54 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Mobile By Way Of Atlanta, By Way Of Denver! , Alabama
Fussy Fuse or What??

For months all of the lights have worked in our 72 Tradewind. But, alas, a trip to Nashville is right around the corner and??? The ceiling lights in the kitchen and bedroom now won't turn on, along with the reading lights over the beds. I've looked at the fuses and they all look fine... how do I know what fuse works these areas? Can a fuse still look good but be bad?

Any thoughts oh wise ones?

As always:
Kind regards and many thanks for your input!
Shar
72BamaStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 06:21 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Mobile By Way Of Atlanta, By Way Of Denver! , Alabama
Now...

... after messing with the fuses only the kitchen sink light works... could it be a bad breaker???

Man... I'm still tryin to learn and I don't know much about electricity...

Any thoughts? Greatly appreciated!

Shar
72BamaStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 06:22 PM   #3
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
yes, they can look good, and be bad. (and vice-versa). only way to know for sure is to test them w/ an ohm meter for continuity.

I've found that the spring-clip-thingies that hold the fuse don't always make good contact. I've had to give them a little "pinch" w/ a pair of needle-nose pliers to get them to grip better.

there are only 4 circuits in mine; wouldn't be a big deal to replace them all. Or just take a known good fuse, and swap each one individually.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 09:01 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Hey Shar,

Like Chuck said, a fuse can look good but still be bad. Something else to check would be the connections going from the fuse panel to the wiring. Make sure all the wires are secure on the panel, and not corroded away.

The breakers are for 110 VAC, while the fuses are for the 12 VDC circuits. If some of the 12 volt stuff works, then you know you're getting 12 volts to the fuse panel from the battery (or the converter if you're plugged into shore power).

Do you have a test light, or multimeter? If not, might be a good thing to buy at some point. You can pick up a cheap one - you don't need anything fancy for checking fuses and voltage.

If you need some verbal help checking things out, give me a call.

Chris
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote