Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-27-2018, 11:07 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2006 23' Safari SE
Wasilla , Alaska
Electrical recall

First I'd like to say I hope I have posted this in the right category.
I have a '06 Safari 75th Anniversary that is included in this recall but I'm not sure if it was addressed by PO. Can anyone tell me what was done to their models affected by this recall. A photo would be helpful.

EQUIPMENT." THE TRAVEL TRAILERS WERE BUILT WITHOUT REAR REFLEX REFLECTORS.

Consequence Summary:
INADEQUATE LIGHTING COULD REDUCE VISIBILITY OF VEHICLE INCREASE THE POTENTIAL FOR A CRASH.

Corrective Summary:
AIRSTREAM WILL SEND DEALERS SEPARATE REFLECTORS TO THE AFFECTED CUSTOMERS AND DEALERS ALONG WITH INSTRUCTIONS FOR PROPER INSTALLATION. CUSTOMERS WILL HAVE THE OPTION OF INSTALLING THE REFLECTORS OR TAKING THE TRAVEL TRAILER TO THE NEAREST AIRSTREAM CERTIFIED DEALERS. THIS WILL BE DONE FREE OF CHARGE. THE RECALL BEGAN ON MAY 15, 2009. OWNERS MAY CONTACT AIRSTREAM AT 1-937-596-6849.
Raminc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 11:19 AM   #2
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

The way I read that, it's not an electrical recall but an install of new reflectors on the back of the trailer. I'd bet the "replacement" is a set of stick on's and a chart of where to put them.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 11:30 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Electrical recall

Yup. Exactly that. Two pieces of reflective tape to be stuck on the bumper. Easy Peasy fix. I think it’s just 2” x 4” rectangles of red 3M retro reflective tape.

Ours needed the recall to comply with federal standards for reflecting to the rear.

IMHO they may meet standards, but I’d like much more visibility. I run with lights on during daylight anyway when I’m towing. “See and be seen” is just a good idea.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 12:25 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2006 23' Safari SE
Wasilla , Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
Yup. Exactly that. Two pieces of reflective tape to be stuck on the bumper. Easy Peasy fix. I think it’s just 2” x 4” rectangles of red 3M retro reflective tape.

Ours needed the recall to comply with federal standards for reflecting to the rear.

IMHO they may meet standards, but I’d like much more visibility. I run with lights on during daylight anyway when I’m towing. “See and be seen” is just a good idea.
Thanks, there is no reflective tape on my bumper so it looks like I need to contact AS for this update.
Old 10-27-2018, 03:43 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2011 22' Sport
Portland , Oregon
Curious how they apply it for us with Sports that lack a bumper to apply, do they install a bumper for me? 🤣
SilverHouseDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 03:55 PM   #6
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverHouseDreams View Post
Curious how they apply it for us with Sports that lack a bumper to apply, do they install a bumper for me? 🤣
The reflectors are not applied to the bumper, but to the rear of the trailer, near the rub rail.
Old 10-27-2018, 07:11 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2006 23' Safari SE
Wasilla , Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
The reflectors are not applied to the bumper, but to the rear of the trailer, near the rub rail.
Are you referring to these reflectors in th black wrap?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	794A6135-1D4D-4F80-A6DF-5E1F5E6F85E7.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	205.2 KB
ID:	326446  
Old 10-28-2018, 08:32 AM   #8
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

The "recall" apparently just sends you some reflecting tape to put on the back of the trailer. If you wish, the same tape is a pretty common item on Amazon or in stores. You can buy some and go as crazy as you wish with the back of your trailer. That is in no way at all to suggest that doing so is a bad idea.

https://www.amazon.com/3M-22494-Whit...tape+red+white

Should be enough to wrap the entire trailer twice

Bob
Old 10-28-2018, 10:06 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2006 23' Safari SE
Wasilla , Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

The "recall" apparently just sends you some reflecting tape to put on the back of the trailer. If you wish, the same tape is a pretty common item on Amazon or in stores. You can buy some and go as crazy as you wish with the back of your trailer. That is in no way at all to suggest that doing so is a bad idea.

https://www.amazon.com/3M-22494-Whit...tape+red+white

Should be enough to wrap the entire trailer twice

Bob

Ok thanks looks like I'm going to get reflective tape and apply 2x3 pieces on the back bumper.
Old 10-28-2018, 10:18 AM   #10
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raminc View Post
Ok thanks looks like I'm going to get reflective tape and apply 2x3 pieces on the back bumper.
Hi

The only problem I have with the "tape on the bumper" approach is when one runs into a muddy road. Generally the bumper is the first part of the back end that gets covered up. The higher up the tape is, normally the less it gets covered up by mud. This of course *assumes* that one drives on muddy roads in .... errrr ... Alaska .... ( Yes, we have our share of dirt roads in PA, some of them are badged as Interstate's ....)

Bob