Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Sinks, Showers & Toilets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-30-2007, 03:09 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2005 22' Safari
Santa Ana , California
Installing Outdoor Shower

My old tent trailer had an outdoor shower, which I really enjoyed. Also seeing how quick my grey water filled up doing dishes, I would like the ability to do dishes outside.

I took my trailer to my dealer, Southwest Coaches, and got a quote for $529.00. I thought that to be a little high. They say they charge $105/hr and $420 of that is labor (4hrs).

My wife didn't want to spend that kind of money and frankly I thought it was quite expensive.

Can someone walk me thru the basic install please. I need to know roughly where to put it. Where to tap for the water. The best way to cut the aluminum and what tools to use and any other suggestions.

Thanks
"Life is like a box of chocolates..." Forrest Gump
Killo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 03:32 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1977 24' Argosy 24
Inverness , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killo1
My old tent trailer had an outdoor shower, which I really enjoyed. Also seeing how quick my grey water filled up doing dishes, I would like the ability to do dishes outside.

I took my trailer to my dealer, Southwest Coaches, and got a quote for $529.00. I thought that to be a little high. They say they charge $105/hr and $420 of that is labor (4hrs).

My wife didn't want to spend that kind of money and frankly I thought it was quite expensive.

Can someone walk me thru the basic install please. I need to know roughly where to put it. Where to tap for the water. The best way to cut the aluminum and what tools to use and any other suggestions.

Thanks
hello, I hope you are good with metal work and the tools needed, if you are not that confident I'd spend the $530.00 to do it. another way is get a black water or if they make a grey water 25 gallon holding tank.I've seen a few people using them for grey water extra holding.also a lot cheaper.check on ebay . good luck which ever way you try.
Bob
Old 03-30-2007, 03:41 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Winterizing

Hi. My 25 FB SE has one. I've used it twice. Of course being a female camper may have something to do with wanting more modesty. Being 58, I may just prefer not to scare younger campers!

I can see one being useful if you're in deep wilderness. And a skunked dog, DEFINITELY an outside job. That said, I spent all winter worrying about mine freezing up, and even ran a nightlight under the cover to make sure it wouldn't.

Check with other dealers... or trade up for a 25 FB SE or other model that has one (yeah sure). Cutting skin is something I won't do.

Happy hunting. I'm sure there are other members who have done this and will help you. Check the Search feature, I think I remember someone in 2005 who did it.

Paula Ford
Old 03-30-2007, 05:17 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
If you just want to wash your hands and do dishes how about one of these

Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 05:59 PM   #5
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
I think it is a ok idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killo1
My old tent trailer had an outdoor shower, which I really enjoyed. Also seeing how quick my grey water filled up doing dishes, I would like the ability to do dishes outside.........

Thanks
This comes up every now and then. I have thought about it on occasion and may do it when I re do the plumbing. The approach I am thinking about is to add a hot and cold water outlet outside that the shower apparatus could be screwed onto. I cant see how this would be a problem in terms of winterizing. In any case, you can search this and see how others have done it. I know there are threads on the topic.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 06:16 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Same Dream - Different Plan

I too wanted an outdoor shower on my 2003 CCD, couldn't for the life of me figure out why there wasn't a factory installed unit on mine. Having bought it used - I wan't able to dealer spec it. Then again, it came with an AM/FM Cassette player. Real advanced technology there......

OK - the plan. Under my kitchen sink cabinet is an access area where I can see the factory pex lines - red for hot blue for cold - simple. I am going to tap those lines and run the pex forward of the wheel well and exit the bottom of the trailer whare I will mount a brass mixer manifold and a fawcet with a quick connect on the spicket. I will then have a quick way to attach a bradded SS line to a push on/off shower head that I can remove and store inside while trailering - I have even given thought to a custom aluminum box but want to keep it simple. Drilling the floor under the cabinets gives me the pucker factor weezys but I feel it's less complicated and much more reversable then the cutting and sealing of the side skin.

Have I done this yet - NO - but the parts have been purchased and at a total cost of $50 is far less than what you found. OK my 2cents.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 06:21 PM   #7
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Hey Clancy, keep us posted (with lots of pics) when you do this. I have a similar plan in mind.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 07:27 PM   #8
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Sounds like someone needs to head to sea for a while. Too much time on your hands ;-)

I have seen these on Motor homes but never an AS. I stand corrected. The Bambi CCD has a pass through door for the shower head. I was thinking of a permanently installed outdoor one.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 07:33 PM   #9
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatsandi
Sounds like someone needs to head to sea for a while. Too much time on your hands ;-)

I have seen these on Motor homes but never an AS.
They are standard on any A/S that comes with a wet bath.............specifically the 16 Bambi and the 22. There is no real problem cutting into the skin as long as you have the correct tools, plan the cut carefully, be sure that you have enough space on the interior for the shower valve and hose box and lastly.......have a large quantity of SikaFlex and rivets on hand!

Killo 1,

I really don't see it taking 4 hours! Maybe 2.5 at most unless there are other unforseen problems.

BUT WAIT.............I see that you have a 22. Obviously it didn't get the outdoor shower. I have 2 friends that have them. Perhaps I was incorrect and they were an option?!?!?!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 07:38 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
sink sprayer

hi- in my Overlander, the kitchen sink has a window in front of it- and the sink has a sprayer with a hose long enough to go out that window, If one wanted to do that. It would be a nearly free way to occasionally shower outside, if you made something to stand on out of the dirt. Just an el-cheapo idea for you...
tphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 07:56 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by tphan
hi- in my Overlander, the kitchen sink has a window in front of it- and the sink has a sprayer with a hose long enough to go out that window, If one wanted to do that. It would be a nearly free way to occasionally shower outside, if you made something to stand on out of the dirt. Just an el-cheapo idea for you...
Funny I brought this subject up yesterday with my wife, and thought I may try the "hose out the kitchen window" method. Yes, I'm cheap.
If you want a long-term method, I would either do as Clancy Boy suggested and plumb it down through the floor, or plumb an outlet to an exterior compartment that would be accessed by opening the compartment door.
Dave
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 08:11 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatsandi

I have seen these on Motor homes but never an AS. I stand corrected. The Bambi CCD has a pass through door for the shower head. I was thinking of a permanently installed outdoor one.
Funny - I am at sea. I have lots of time to think of things. Like being in prison with the added threat of drowning thrown in. Gotta love the Navy.

My plan is to keep the mod simple and make it a one day thing. I have enough projections through the skin and don't want to do that. The brass mixer valve is a non-standard sink unit with a central tilt assembly for Hot/Cold mixing - when I get to a camp site I can leave it on and just use the spray head with a push button to release the water. No stooping down to turn it on all the time. I do want to look at a hose rest on the side but again don't want to drill - looking at suction cups.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 08:24 PM   #13
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
I bought one for $40 on ebay, it took less than an hour to lay it out, cut the hole and rivet it in.

I haven't hooked up the two water lines yet but that shouldn't take more than another hour.

How anyone can figure 4 hours as a pro is just a rip off.

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 08:36 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by LI Pets
I bought one for $40 on ebay, it took less than an hour to lay it out, cut the hole and rivet it in.

I haven't hooked up the two water lines yet but that shouldn't take more than another hour.

How anyone can figure 4 hours as a pro is just a rip off.
Hi Bob,
Have any photos? Or a description on how/where you installed it?
Dave
Old 03-30-2007, 08:41 PM   #15
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
I may be able to take a snap this weekend.

I put it in the rear bedroom. Just behind the water heater. So the water lines are short.

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 08:48 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Thanks, I'd like to do something and need to decide what I want.
Dave
Old 03-30-2007, 09:52 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Our 71 has a built in spigot on the streetside rear where the water hose comes in. If you don't have that you can get an in line faucet to attach to your incoming line at any hardware store. If you don't mind cold water on a hot summer day you can hook this puppy to it and shower away.... 49.95 at Target

Also available is a handy towel tree. The towel warmer next to it - is of course optional equipment.

Old 03-31-2007, 12:26 AM   #18
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
I think I may be in trouble if I came home with a towel warmer like that.
Old 03-31-2007, 10:50 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Well Fyrzowt, everyting in life is about risk versus reward...
Old 03-31-2007, 12:06 PM   #20
Rivet Master

My plan was to use the fresh water drain.

My trailer has hot and cold water drain valves that drain to a single rubber hose. I would replace the rubber hose with a copper pipe hooked up to a faucet located underneath the trailer. Adjusting temperature would
be a pain. Another issue I had was the inconvenience of getting dressed in a small area. We camp in large crowds. So I put that job off.
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote