Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Sinks, Showers & Toilets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-24-2009, 10:53 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1969 21' Globetrotter
Cambridge , Massachusetts
Fiberglass bath lay up

I would like to build a custom (no lavatory) wet bath across the back of my '69 Globe Trotter using a fiberglass surround that would integrate floor and walls extending up to the underside of the existing fiberglass endcap. Before laying up the fiberglass, the floor would be pitched to a central drain using rigid insulation tapered from 1” at walls to 1/4” at drain and the walls would be covered with an eighth to quarter inch of foam material to allow a little extra flexibility between the aluminum shell and the fiberglass. In addition, a fillet of 2” or so would be provided between the floor and walls. Does this sound reasonable so far? My questions regarding fiberglassing are as follows. What combination of fabrics (chopped, cloth, rovings etc.) and weight of fabric would be appropriate for the floor? For the walls? Most literature I've seen discusses fiberglass with exposed side laid up on a smooth form. In this case the exposed side will be a free surface (not formed). How is a nice smooth finish accomplished in this case? Can anyone recommend forum threads, blogs or “how to” books appropriate to this project? Any help or advice regarding this project would be greatly appreciated.
JoePfznik is offline   Reply With Quote