Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Water Heaters, Filters & Pumps
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-29-2012, 05:10 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
dobson , North Carolina
Bowen G6A2 water heater refurbishment

From a 1978 Argosy 27...
Pulled the unit out for suspected leak , found none .
As I understand it, the new units are not alumimum, tankwise, and that doesn't bode well for long life.
With regard to the tank, it seems I was mistaken and there is no inside "coil , just high and low pipe for hot out and cold in, so my issue must have been a small camper pipe system leak, or leaking relief valve.
So, no tank new needed..... the old one is in excellent condition , inside and out.
My plan, while apart, is to incorporate a welded on aluminum bung for a 115 V AC electric element and mount a adjustable control "switch" as used on commercial electric hot water heaters, with a lighted on -off switch somewhere convenient to the bathroom or galley area.
I do wish I could retrofit this Bowen G6A2 unit with a auto ignition gas vlave, but haven't found one yet.....
Know of any available? Sources for same, new or used ??
It seems they are basically all alike, heater brand wise and fitment, regarding there controls, correct?
Thanks for any input !!
BC
dryenko is offline   Reply With Quote